Consolidated "Honeymoon in Hawaii" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Honeymoon in Hawaii" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
We recently spent 15 days on just Oahu and the Big Island-- and still left with many sights unseen and many adventures untried. (6 nights Oahu, 6 nights Kona, 2 nights Volcano Village, 1 night "lost" on plane). We could not have put another island in without really feeling pushed. We had children with us, but even alone we would not have wanted to rush anymore than we did.

And, although the above poster is correct that the flight between islands is less than an hour, you should expect to spend a half day changing islands (travel to airport, check bags, security, flight, claim bags, travel to new hotel). You really must allocate an hour to security, you may not need it, or, you may (like me on my Aloha Kona-Honolulu segment) need every minute of it (TSA confused my sunblock with explosives leading to a full search, questioning and the surrender of an antique sterling and pearl handled cheese spreader).
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:53 am

We prefer Kauai over Maui. Though Maui has better snorkeling, Kauai is more of how I imagined Hawaii to be.

Also if you happen to be staying at the Hyatt, the Hyatt Kauai was much better than the Maui location. We didn't like how all the resorts in Kaanapali were very close together. To me, it felt very artificial, a lot like the different lands at Disney. Hyattland, Marriott World, Westin Town, etc. With lots of kids everywhere.

Kauai has more wilderness than Maui or Oahu. Haven't been to the big island yet, but that will be corrected this fall.

Last edited by Tummy; Feb 11, 2005 at 8:59 am
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:33 pm

Honeymoon in Hawaii -- Which Starwood or Hyatt to stay at???

I'm planning a honeymoon for two weeks in Hawaii, I've got both SPG and Hyatt points, any recommendations on which hotel to stay at?

THX!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Let's take this to the Hawaii forum...

--richard, moderator
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by aviron55
I'm planning a honeymoon for two weeks in Hawaii, I've got both SPG and Hyatt points, any recommendations on which hotel to stay at?

THX!
Can you give us an island you're planning on staying at? That'll give us a place to start.

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:30 pm

My vote would be a week on the Big Island and a week on Kauai.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:49 am

On Kauai you'd do well with the Grand Hyatt in Poipu
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Regarding Oahu,

I don't know anything about Hyatt. You might want to do a search in the SPG and Hyatt forums for specifics on the different properties.

If you're staying on points with SPG, I wouldn't stay anywhere other than the W. AND, it's not on the beach and doesn't have a pool. The rooms are incredible and you might wind up with a very nice close-up view of Diamond Head.

The other SPG hotels, unless you have Platinum status, you'll probably wind up with a pretty crappy room with no view. However, you would at least have a beach and a pool. If you're paying for a room, I would strongly recommend splurging on a ocean front suite at the Moana Surfrider or a tower room at the Royal Hawiaan.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:50 pm

I second the recommendation for the Hyatt on Kauai - if you can get in there on points.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Before I give my 2 cents, a couple questions...

1) have you been to Hawai'i before, and if so, which island(s)

2) what part of the country do you live in

3) when traveling, are you looking for activities or relaxation?
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:26 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Kaua'i

It's difficult to go wrong with the Grand Hyatt Kaua'i.
Especially if you're visit is during the winter months, weather will be more reliable down south in Poipu.

Of the two *wood properties here there's no contest - the Princeville resort is spectacular. Not a bad view in the house. Calm beautiful beach right in front of the hotel.

Lihu'e 1k
Old May 2, 2006, 7:25 am

Need Help for Maui honeymoon/birthday Trip

Hi everyone, I need some help. My husband and I are going to Maui for our honeymoon (and my birthday) at the end of January. We are staying at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa. We are renting a car for the week.

(1) any great places to have dinner while watching the sunset, maybe on the beach?

(2) is it worth flying to Hilo to try and see some of the erupted volcanoe?

(3) is it worthy flying to Oahu for the day?

(4) any cheap places to bring back souveniers for the dreaded co-workers?

(5) should we get a lei greeting at the airport? any good companies?

any and all help is greatly appreciated and if you have any other ideas, please please please please please add them
Old May 2, 2006, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
(1) any great places to have dinner while watching the sunset, maybe on the beach?
Pacific 'O should be your choice here, right in Lahaina. Call them well in advance to book an on-beach table for sunset hours
(2) is it worth flying to Hilo to try and see some of the erupted volcanoe?
Conditions at the volcano can change daily - if lava is flowing down the Pali (hill) and is easily reachable, and if lava viewing is what you want to see, perhaps it's worthwhile taking a trip. This website will give you almost daily updates on the eruption status. Visiting the park is an all-day affair, and the ocean entry lava viewing is best done at dusk or night, requiring an overnight stay. Also, visiting the entire Park and getting a decent experience out of it would require at least one full day, which requires an overnight stay as well.
I think you will find enough to do on Maui to keep your occupied. O'ahu requires at least a couple days just to see the hi-lites. I suggest either adding a few days to your trip to include 2 full days on O'ahu or leaving it for next time.

You can go to Costco near the Kahalui Airport, or if you're not members, Hilo Hatties will have a good selection. Check the local tourist brochures for coupons.
A lei greeting is a wonderful way to experience a welcome to Hawai'i. I am not familiar with the Maui options, but I am sure another FTer will be able to suggest something.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated and if you have any other ideas, please please please please please add them
Please tell us more about your itinerary. How long you plan on staying and what interests you. Also read through many of the sticky posts on our forum to learn about some of the available activities and sites you can choose to see.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:35 am
DH

Originally Posted by gomeztravel
Hi everyone, I need some help. My husband and I are going to Maui for our honeymoon (and my birthday) at the end of January. We are staying at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa. We are renting a car for the week.
Congratulations! Make sure to request a Beach Tower room rather than a Ocean Tower room. Beach Tower rooms are bigger. It's FT's consensus that Westin is better for family, while Sheraton is better for couples. I stayed at Westin in April and it confirmed the FTers.

I'll let others to comment on this. Some many suggest Kimo in Lahaina but I thought its food was just avg.

I think Pearl Harbor is worth visiting but I'm not sure about what you are looking for though... BTW, due to a new airline, tickets should be more reasonsable.

Shop them at K-Mart/WalMart/Costco are located in Kahului (spelling?) near the airport. Hawaiian themed key chain can be cheap gift. For t-shirts, I recommend going to Maui Swap Meet, flee market on every Saturday. We picked up cheap t-shirts there. Make sure to go early since parking can be problem.

BTW, I bought chocolate covered macademia nuts from Costco for my office...

FYI, unless you arrive late, you will get a lei greeting at Westin.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:52 am

thank you so much for your advice. I cant wait to go !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.