Wiki Posts
Search

Seeing the USS Arizona

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Seeing the USS Arizona

Hi everyone,
I'm going to Hawaii for my honeymoon in August and I'll be staying on Kauai (7 nights) and Maui (5 nights). But my fiance and I wanted to see the USS Arizona/Pearl Harbor so we were thinking of doing a day trip to Honolulu. How early do we have to get to Pearl Harbor in order to get tickets for the USS Arizona? We're planning on going on a Thursday, so I'm hoping it's not as busy that day. I heard the wait can be up to two hours! If we get into HNL by 8am, is that early enough? Thanks!
josh
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wolverinefan:
Hi everyone,
I'm going to Hawaii for my honeymoon in August and I'll be staying on Kauai (7 nights) and Maui (5 nights). But my fiance and I wanted to see the USS Arizona/Pearl Harbor so we were thinking of doing a day trip to Honolulu. How early do we have to get to Pearl Harbor in order to get tickets for the USS Arizona? We're planning on going on a Thursday, so I'm hoping it's not as busy that day. I heard the wait can be up to two hours! If we get into HNL by 8am, is that early enough? Thanks!
josh
</font>
Welcome to FT!! We just did a day trip from Maui a couple weeks ago to visit Oahu for a 10-12 hours. We landed at 8:40 AM, grabbed a car and got to the Arizona around 9:15 AM. The wait at that point had to be at least THREE hours!! Couldn't believe it. We passed on the memorial and headed north and did a circle trip of the island. Had a great time but the couple with us were disappointed not to see the Arizona.
I'm guessing you either have to be very lucky with your timing or have to get there waaaaay before we did to see the Arizona w/o spending the better part of the morning there.
Whatever you do, enjoy your trip to Hawaii!! We're heading back over to Maui next week.

Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Visited the AZ Memorial about 4 weeks ago. Arrived at around 9:30, the wait was about 2 hours. Given the historical significance of this site, a 2-hour wait was a small sacrifice. You can easily spend 1-2 hours in the museum and gift shop while you wait. Of course the earlier you get there the better, particularly if you can beat the tour buses from Waikiki.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Get there early. Period.

The docents will hand out numerical numbers that will indicate your place in line. Just grab the number and take a drive down around Pearl City/Aiea or stop by Pearlridge Mall (about two miles away). This will give you something to do to pass the time. Try to ask the docent how much time you have remaining. It's a hit or miss, but it's a whole lot better than waiting at the memorial. I think when I went a few years back, we grabbed our tickets, went back home, took a nap, then went back for about a twenty minute wait.

Have a great trip to the islands!

Aloha
Old Jul 18, 2003, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! This message board is really fun! I've found a lot of information here and it's been really helpful.
I've been trying to decide between flying into HNL at 8am (leaving LIH at 7:30) or flying in at 7 am (leaving LIH at 6:30). I think we'll take the later flight. I can't wait to go! Oh the other thing was I thought I had to stand there for two hours. That's good to know that I won't have to do that either.
josh

[This message has been edited by wolverinefan (edited 07-18-2003).]
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:13 am

I was there at the end of May and must've lucked out. We arrived around 10A or so and the wait was only approx. 20 mins. This was the second day after the USS Constellation returned home from the Gulf and many military families were in town to greet their returning loved ones. We expected the wait to be longer, but it wasn't.

On a related topic, I would strongly advise against taking TheBus to Pearl Harbor from Waikiki. It was a very uncomfortable, smelly, loooonnnnngggg and clausterphobic ride (all other experiences with TheBus in and around Waikiki were fine). We took one of the private shuttle buses back to Waikiki and it was well worth the $6.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.