Wiki Posts
Search

Maui or Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Maui or Kauai

Hello,

I will be honeymooning in Hawaii during the THIRD WEEK OF FEBRUARY 2003.

Could you please tell me which is a better island. We plan to spend about 5 nights in total. Things we are interested in are:

a)Nice accomodation (does not have to be super expensive, but something nice and comfortable with amenities)

b)Nice beaches. We are NOT into snorkelling etc. thus we want to just enjoy the beauty

c)Local shopping, artefacts

d)Food choices, We both are VEGETARIANS, i.e. no meat, fish, poultry, seafood. We eat pastas, pizzas, cheeses, breads, dairy products, veggies.

e)Marine life viewing, i.e. Dolphins, Whales, Seals, whatever possible.

Thank You. Please help I need to book NOW.

Thanks

JC
Old Jan 21, 2003, 9:37 am

My choice would be Kauai. I have found that Maui is becoming over-developed and crowded. Kauai has a very diverse topography and is much easier to get around... and there are several deserted beaches for quiet times together. Depending upon what type of accomodations you enjoy, I would recommend the Marriott Kauai Beach Club, the Princeville Resort, or the Hyatt at Poipu. For convenience in getting around the island, the Marriott can't be beat, and the facilities are excellent. The Princeville Resort is more pricey and the facilities are a bit more formal. Even if you don't stay there, try to plan a trip to watch the sunset from their outdoor bar/patio. The Poipu area has several great hotels, but it is a bit more removed from the rest of the island. If you are into hiking, there are great trails on Kauai that will give you some breathtaking views and fun adventures.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
On Kauai, this is a must-see

Limahuli Garden and Preserve
http://ntbg.org/limahuli.html

I found it fascinating and I'm not a "garden person"
Old Jan 21, 2003, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Would you guys say that Kauai is worth two or three full days if you had to chose?

thanks

------------------
Old Jan 21, 2003, 6:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Definitely
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:07 pm

You could spend a week on Kauai and not see everything worth seeing. Depending upon what type of activities and exploration you like to do, you should plan on at least one day for each section of the island. If you like trails, try the one to Queens Bath near Princeville. The end of the trail is worth the 15 minute hike.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
I'd check out the new Kauai Marriott Waohai. Just now opening and a friend (the guy in charge) inicated some opening deals are in the making. We stayed there when it was a Renaissance and it's a great location. Marriott tore it down after the hurricane and rebuilt it as a time share from scatch. BUT, you can still book it as a hotel room. You may get a lot of bang for a little buck. Who knows.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:59 am

Spend all 5 nights on Kauai and check into condo rentals in the Princeville area. You can get a nice 2 bedroom condo for around $ 150 per night. You will love it

The beaches up north are not as nice as down south, but you can have a long strech of beach all to yourself. Rental of beachchairs are available in nearby Hanalei.

There are vegetarian restaurants also in Hanalei as well as some shopping.

Most likely you will see whales from your room/condo. We just returned and watched whales every day we were there.

There is no nightlife up there though.

Old Jan 28, 2003, 7:12 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I personally like Maui.

Good combination of everything-sightseeing, nice resort hotels, nice beaches, golf courses, restaurants, shopping(arts) and the best whale watching.

However, as someone mentioned that Maui become very popular for the last 10 years and has been crowded.

If you really like the peace and quiet time with local hawaiian atmospher, Kauai could be a better choice. If you like more activities, I guess Maui has some advantages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.