Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Thanksgiving in Hawaii - options, suggestions, recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Thanksgiving in Hawaii - options, suggestions, recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
I swear I don't know what is up with you tourists, coming halfway around the world to vacation in paradise, only to grocery shop at discount stores and cook like you were back on the mainland, , but if Mrs. k. and I were to be in Poipu on Thursday, we'd be having a delicious and elegant traditional, Island style wonderful Thanksgiving Day buffet dinner at the Sheraton Poipu, I can assure you that! Here's what we're missing: http://www.sheraton-kauai.com/pdf/thanksgiving%2007.pdf
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by kaukau
I swear I don't know what is up with you tourists, coming halfway around the world to vacation in paradise, only to grocery shop at discount stores and cook like you were back on the mainland, , but if Mrs. k. and I were to be in Poipu on Thursday, we'd be having a delicious and elegant traditional, Island style wonderful Thanksgiving Day buffet dinner at the Sheraton Poipu, I can assure you that! Here's what we're missing: http://www.sheraton-kauai.com/pdf/thanksgiving%2007.pdf
That sounds tasty, but one can also have a hotel buffet from whence we came as well. We're going to Gaylords, which is a little more like a traditional Thanksgiving, but in a beautiful old Hawaii plantation setting.

Of course, if I could have any wish, my late mother would be here in the condo in Poipu roasting a turkey and baking pumpkin pies!
Old Nov 19, 2007, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Of course, if I could have any wish, my late mother would be here in the condo in Poipu roasting a turkey and baking pumpkin pies!
But of course. Absolutely. ^ ^ Ourselves as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:48 pm

I swear I don't know what is up with you tourists, coming halfway around the world to vacation in paradise, only to grocery shop at discount stores and cook like you were back on the mainland,
Remember, I also asked for restaurant suggestions, and yours definitely looks good! But when I wrote my post, the buckets of rain and cold we've had plenty of were getting on my nerves. The idea of eating on the lanai sounds almost as wonderful as eating ourselves sick at a buffet
Old Nov 20, 2007, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by kmcg
Remember, I also asked for restaurant suggestions, and yours definitely looks good! But when I wrote my post, the buckets of rain and cold we've had plenty of were getting on my nerves. The idea of eating on the lanai sounds almost as wonderful as eating ourselves sick at a buffet
Don't slave over a hot stove....it's way too warm for that! In Lahaina, we wait 'til February to roast our turkey! You're gonna love Poipu: just like Lahaina, today it's 80 degrees and sunny. Perfect beach and pool weather. Don't forget the sunscreen!!!! However you celebrate, best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving in paradise! Enjoy!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:44 pm

Thanks so much! I hope your Thanksgiving was as nice as ours. We took your suggestion for the Sheraton buffet - saved the steaks for later - and everyone was happy! Great week at Poipu Beach, culminating yesterday in the hardest rain I've ever seen. It was a wild drive along the coast; we even had to pull over for awhile because visibility was so poor. BTW, we had a great meal at Lihue Barbeque Inn last night before catching our plane. We had never been there, and were really pleased with the food and the friendly service.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by kmcg
Thanks so much! I hope your Thanksgiving was as nice as ours. We took your suggestion for the Sheraton buffet - saved the steaks for later - and everyone was happy! Great week at Poipu Beach, culminating yesterday in the hardest rain I've ever seen. It was a wild drive along the coast; we even had to pull over for awhile because visibility was so poor. BTW, we had a great meal at Lihue Barbeque Inn last night before catching our plane. We had never been there, and were really pleased with the food and the friendly service.
Hey, you're so welcome! The Sheraton's nice, yeah?! Glad you enjoyed. And you timed it perfectly.....it's pouring in the Islands today!

TTYL!

A hui ho!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:31 pm

And you timed it perfectly.....it's pouring in the Islands today!

TTYL!

A hui ho!
Me too. Escaped last night in the rain, but Kauai rain would be preferable to Chicago cold.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:39 pm

Seems time to bump this up again. Anyone have any ideas? We'll be on Kauai again this year. We've gone to Gaylords twice in the past few years and are probably ready for a change. The Sheraton buffet from last year looks good. I tried calling this evening and they didn't seem to sure about what's going on. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can talk to someone who knows something.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Oahu Thanksgiving Dinner Suggestions?

Does anyone have restaurant suggestions for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner in Oahu? We prefer something reasonably priced, but with a good variety. We'll be in Waikiki, but will have a car, so anywhere on the island is fine.

Mahalo!
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Does anyone have restaurant suggestions for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner in Oahu? We prefer something reasonably priced, but with a good variety. We'll be in Waikiki, but will have a car, so anywhere on the island is fine.
O`ahu locals can give you some thoughts, but let me just suggest that one of the delights of Hawai`i is that what is "traditional" here is a wonderful blend of half a dozen traditions. You'll be able to find a traditional "mainland" Thanksgiving fare, I'm sure, but I also urge you to be open to some of the other things that get served here for such festive days -- poke, roasted "Chinese style" turkey, sushi, spam musubi (all the above have been part of "traditional" church Thanksgiving dinners I've been to!)
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
one of the delights of Hawai`i is that what is "traditional" here is a wonderful blend of half a dozen traditions.
Sorry I wasn't clear, but that's exactly what I'm looking for. Not just mainland traditional (although it'll be much easier to convince the wife if that's a part of it), but also the blend of Island traditions.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (slippahs' iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Call the Prince Restaurant at the Hawaii Prince Hotel to see if they have anything. Likely a buffet rather than a traditional sitdown. Alternatively, you could get one of the meals to go meals at most hotels and have Thanksgiving dinner in your hotel room. Both the Prince and Hyatt have such meals to go.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:42 am

Just a followup to answer my own question (although I'm still interested in hearing other options) with some of the most helpful links that I've found what I'm leaning towards:

2008 Thanksgiving article on Metromix.com

List of local newspaper ads from 2006 @ TripAdvisor

Hawaii Thanksgiving Menus @ OpenTable.com

2007 story about Helemano Plantation's $8.50 Thanksgiving lunch buffet

I've also found that many of the larger hotels have information on their web sites about Thanksgiving dinners, although many of them are fairly expensive ($40-$75 per person).

The ones I'm leaning towards are:

1) Oceanarium Restaurant - $35.95 brunch or $39.95 dinner ($13.95/$15.25 for kids) - menu looked to be about the most extensive
2) Duke's or Shore Bird - both about $22 for adults and about $10 for kids
3) Sam Choy's (on Nimitz) - $31.95 brunch or $35.95 dinner ($4.95 - $17.95 for kids)

I still need to check Alan Wong's and Roy's, which I think are both doing something, but I couldn't find any details online.

After what I've read about the Helemano Plantation, we'll definitely be eating there sometime on our trip (probably when we go to the Dole Plantation, since it's close), but not for Thanksgiving. They provide a real-world working experience for developmentally challenged adults. That's a great thing to help support.

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has some recommendations!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:36 pm

Definitely Oceanarium! I have been there a number of times and they have an incredible selection - I haven't done brunch, however. Sam Choy's is good, but I don't know about their special holiday menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.