Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

July 31 - Large Brush Fire in Waimea (Big Island) Waikoloa Village Evacuation Order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

July 31 - Large Brush Fire in Waimea (Big Island) Waikoloa Village Evacuation Order

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

There is currently a large brush fire burning in the Waikii Ranch area, where the Saddle Road and Highway 190 meet. It is a windy day and the fire is spreading. The entire Waikoloa Village is under a mandatory evacuation order. I know several FTers live in the area, so please join me in sending our best wishes to all.

https://hawaii-county-civil-defense-...q5LPRmn2WyCqHA

https://www.kwxx.com/2021/08/01/evac...SYNUSpNtsU1i3o
dlaue and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
There is currently a large brush fire burning in the Waikii Ranch area, where the Saddle Road and Highway 190 meet. It is a windy day and the fire is spreading. The entire Waikoloa Village is under a mandatory evacuation order. I know several FTers live in the area, so please join me in sending our best wishes to all.

https://hawaii-county-civil-defense-...q5LPRmn2WyCqHA

https://www.kwxx.com/2021/08/01/evac...SYNUSpNtsU1i3o
Yikes! They didn’t nickname it “WaikaBlowa” for no reason! Hope the area makes it out untouched!
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Waikoloa Village did escape unscathed for now, with the 50,000+ acre fire coming within 2.5 miles of the town of 7,000 people. An aggressive fight by the military and a concentration of resources to cut a substantial firebreak saved the Village ...as did shifting winds.

Stores/restaurants are back open after being closed for the evacuation. Places like the Queens Shops closed down the mall to reduce traffic on area roads so that evacuees could seek shelter. Plus I imagine many shop workers lived in a mandatory evacuation area and wanted to deal with that.

Unfortunately, there is decent community spread of COVID in the Waikoloa area at resorts and local shops/restaurants, so many places are closing to isolate staff, clean workplaces, etc. New closures and reduced hours at some places now are due to that and not lingering impacts from the fire.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Places like the Queens Shops closed down the mall to reduce traffic on area roads so that evacuees could seek shelter. Plus I imagine many shop workers lived in a mandatory evacuation area and wanted to deal with that.
Interesting. I was at the Queens Shops on August 1. My wife ordered a drink from Starbucks at around 11:15 am just before we left to go to Maunakea and was surprised when she walked in to pick up her drink and they locked the doors behind her as she walked out. We had no idea why they were closing because the Waikōloa Beach Resort should have been immune to the fire -- cooled lava does not combust.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.