Consolidated "Luggage Storage at Hawaii Airports?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2002, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)

We are going to be on the Non Stop EWR-HNL flight in October but our first vacation stop will be in Kauai. Since the main flight gets into HNL at 7:00 PM we can't take the last flight of the day to Kauai. We will therefore spend the first night in Honolulu. Any Suggestions? We want to get a motel close by the airport with a shuttle service. and additionally with a early shuttle to catch the 6:25 AM flight to Kauai.

Since we will be arriving in Kauai very early, it will be impossible to check into the Hotel - and we really don't want to leave all of our luggage in the rental car while we go to the Princeville Hotel for Brunch, visiting the North beaches, and maybe doing some snorkelling and hiking the Napili trail. Does anyone know if the Lihue Airport has luggage lockers we could store our rather substantial baggage in (we will be in Hawaii for 10 days)?

Thanks in advance.

DD

Old Apr 12, 2002, 9:00 pm

I can't speak to the Kauai airport specifically, but all of the lockers at HNL have been shut down for security reasons. This is true in every airport I've passed through since 9/11. I'll be in Kauai next week and will try to post back about the locker situation if they are open.

Since you arrive early your best bet may be to go directly to the hotel and leave your bags with the bellhop until it is time to check in (or time for your flight out). (I'm not sure if the problem is with bags on arrival or departure).

Regarding hotels close to the airport. They really are all pretty bad - it is a short trip into Waikiki and more fun, if only for one night, then staying by the airport. A taxi ride into Waikiki will take about 20 minutes - so it isn't much of a problem for an early flight out, either. This way you can see the famous Waikiki beach, get a sense of the tourist action in Waikiki, eat a nice dinner, and avoid an icky hotel near the airport.
Old Apr 13, 2002, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA1K/2MM
This from to the Lihue Airport website at
http://www.state.hi.us/dot/airports/...x_services.htm

Baggage/Luggage Facilities

Due to enhanced airport security requirements, baggage storage and locker facilities at the Lihue Airport are not available. Thank you for your understanding.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Thanks for the replies.

I called the Hotel and they said that it would be no problem to drop off our luggage!

We still don't know what we will do in Honolulu. It may be cheaper for us to get a rental car and drive to a hotel and pay to park for the night than get a cab (both ways) or a shuttle (again both ways) Are the motels close to the airport (with a free shuttle service) really that yucky? Don't want to be too cheap, but I would rather spend my hard earned dollars on some good food or drink.

DD
Old Apr 15, 2002, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Do NOT, unless you just want to sleep between flights, stay at an airport-area motel. They are pretty dreadful, and there is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING, around that is likely to interest a tourist. For example, if you want to go to dinner anywhere other than your motel or Chan's Buffet (which I like, but I doubt it's what you're interested in), you'll be renting a car or taking a cab ride into town anyway.

Waikiki is but a short drive away. Early in the morning - maybe 15 minutes. Stay in Waikiki, and enjoy walking around and people-watching at night.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 1:35 pm

Luggage Storage

Anyone know of a place to store our luggage if we will be in Honolulu for the day waiting for a 10:30PM flight and want to go to Pearl Harbor? We fly in to HNL at 8:30 AM that morning. Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 1:12 pm
Mul

Luggage storage facility at HNL?

Is there luggage storage facility at HNL? I'm going to do island hopping so I don't really want to carry extra luggage if not needed.
Thanks.
Old May 9, 2004, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA
Angry RE: HNL Luggage

Since 9/11, the increased security has closed all the lockers and the shower facilities at the airport. Too bad for those pax transferring with long waits.
Old May 16, 2004, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Sorry for the delay in responding as I'm sure this thread is of no relevance to the O.P.

However, if you do have club membership (such as CO's PC or UA's RCC), you might try leaving your items at the club with an agent. I've heard of people successfully doing this.

aloha
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
What to do with Baggage at HNL during Stopover? - no baggage storage/airport lockers

I understand that since 9/11, there are no operational baggage storage facilities or airport lockers at HNL (and perhaps this applies to all US airports?).

We will be coming from Maui to Honolulu in 1.5 weeks. We will have an 8 hr layover in HNL. We will be departing on AC, to Canada. The Air Canada counter for check-in does not open until about 4 hrs after we arrive.

Of course, we may wish to leave the airport to sightsee/shop or do something during many of these hours. If we rent a car, our problems would be solved - baggage in the trunk. However, if we decide not to rent a car, what are our options, for our baggage?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:57 am

In my opinion, you would want to rent a car anyway. The airport is kind of far from the city and to be honest with you, you will enjoy sightseeing alot more with a car. Be warned H-1 is a BUSY freeway....
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:23 am

You could buy daypass to one of the Airline clubs, Continental is I think $25. Only need one of you to buy if all you want to do is to leave luggage in the storage area. Very nice club - free drinks, snacks, TV, reading material
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I understand that since 9/11, there are no operational baggage storage facilities or airport lockers at HNL (and perhaps this applies to all US airports?).

We will be coming from Maui to Honolulu in 1.5 weeks. We will have an 8 hr layover in HNL. We will be departing on AC, to Canada. The Air Canada counter for check-in does not open until about 4 hrs after we arrive.

Of course, we may wish to leave the airport to sightsee/shop or do something during many of these hours. If we rent a car, our problems would be solved - baggage in the trunk. However, if we decide not to rent a car, what are our options, for our baggage?
See if they will check it all the way through when you check in at OGG.

I'm not sure how Canada is treated, but I've had baggage interlined for several hours at many airports sucessfully, even in the US. Last Nov I flew DL SDF-ATL-LAX and had a good 6 hr layover, then LAX-MEL on QF. Two seperate tix, but DL at SDF checked my luggage all the way when I presented both e-tix.

I've had luggage in-transit overnight overnight at KUL, during an 8 hour layover in ICN, and even 6+ hours at EWR on an MH to CO connection.

SDF_Traveler
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:01 pm

agree: cheapest, easiest and best choice is car. book soon as cars aren't cheap in HI at this moment. check car rental threads for discount codes. i needed car in 2 weeks and code changed best price from $50 to $29.

not even sure a lounge will let you leave bags for 8 hrs without you present.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jtkauai
......not even sure a lounge will let you leave bags for 8 hrs without you present.
I've left luggage for a few hours before at the Red Carpet Club. But whether this was official policy or the common-sense hospitality of the very nice folks who staff the desk there, I don't know. It may not have hurt that I brought them cookies from Big Island Candies before asking if I could leave my bags for a couple of hours

I could be worth a call to the RCC. Otoh, it's a loooong schlep to the UA gates/RCC and then back to AC. Concur that renting a car is a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.