Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(3?) Day trips from Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2001, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

(3?) Day trips from Hawaii?

My wife and I will be visiting Maui for 12 days in December of this year. I'd be interested in "day tripping" to other islands in the South Pacific or places in Asia. Are there any places/recommendations for locations in the Pacific or Asia that can be reached from Hawaii for less than $500 for three days or so? Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 5:54 pm

The Islands of Hawaii are the most remote inhabited islands in the world...they are nearly 2000 miles from any other inhabited land mass. This does not make for ideal "day tripping" to other Pacific Islands or asia. You would spend at least a full day traveling in each direction especially since all the Pacific/Asian flights originate in Honolulu. I would not recommend this.

You said you are staying on Maui, it is very possible for you to day trip to any of the other Hawaiian Islands(Oahu-Honolulu,The Big Island-Hawaii,Kauai,Molokai,Lanai) all of which are very distinct and have various degrees of urban or rural. Aloha and Hawaiian Airlines have nearly hourly flights to each of the other Islands from Maui and they are usually about $60-70 dollars each way.
Old Aug 10, 2001, 12:03 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
If you like birds, it's about a three-hour flight on Aloha from Oahu to Midway Islands, about 1200 miles away. You gotta like birds though as I don't think there's much else to do there but to look at them.
Old Aug 13, 2001, 9:51 am

I suggest another hawaiian island, kauai.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 11:54 am

If you want to do some island hopping between the Hawaiian islands, both Hawaiian and Aloha have a 7 day unlimited pass for around $300 a person. They also have 10 and 14 day passes, but they are a little more.
Cindi
Old Aug 22, 2001, 5:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
If you like birds, it's about a three-hour flight on Aloha from Oahu to Midway Islands, about 1200 miles away. You gotta like birds though as I don't think there's much else to do there but to look at them.</font>
Midway has fantastic Diving, snorkelling and fishing. I am not a bird watcher and I had a blast in Midway, much, much more exclusive than the Hawaii.

Old Aug 22, 2001, 7:09 pm

Leisuremiles is entirely correct. You should take some time to see the other islands here rather than attempting any day trips outside the state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.