Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Two Big Island questions (Where to Stay and Tour Options)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite

Due to a recent cancer diagnosis for my FIL, I wasn't sure our planned Hawaii trip (the only state my inlaws have not been to) was going to happen. Just got the ok that we will be going, albeit a1-2 days after he finishes radiation.

We are less than a month out so I am now scrambling to finish up some details. I have been to Kauai 20 times, but the Big Island only once, so I really don't know the area much at all. I am looking for two things...

1/ Lodging that is right on the water/ good views. As we will be sharing a 2 bedroom condo in Oahu and Kauai, we would really like 2 one bedroom units in one complex. This can be a hotel or a VRBO/AirBNB, etc. We will only be on island for 2 nights, so was thinking in Kona area, as our flight out is fairly early, so closer to the airport would be better. I have have Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold.

2/ The only plan for this island is a to a circle island tour. He wants to see the volcano and I recall doing a tour like this on my one trip and it was good to see the different parts and hear some history of the islands. Due to his medical issues, we are thinking a private tour of the island would be better, so we can skip things we are not interested in and adjust if needed. Does anyone have ideas of how to accomplish this? I have looked a bit but really haven't found what I am looking for. Has anyone used someone for a private tour (for 4) on the Big Island?

This forum was helpful on some Oahu info, so I am hoping someone will have ideas for me.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Old Sep 1, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: None - previously UA
It's really not that much difference in time from Kona to Airport vs Waikoloa beach. Would recommend hotel in Waikoloa over Kona if its in the budget, also not sure an Airbnb is worth it just for 2 nights with all the fees, but possibly.
zs58 and Ta3153 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:50 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
In general, the properties in the Waikoloa Beach area are nicer that what can be found in the Kailua-Kona town area; there's some nicer properties to the south in Keahou.

There's several condo properties that could meet your needs; I've done a few stays in two bedroom condos at the Shores of Waikoloa with five others and it was fine. - https://www.waikoloabeachresort.com/...ccommodations/

There are also three gorgeous Destination by Hyatt properties in the Mauna Lani resort just to the north; I've not looked into the minimum night stay requirements for them. Mauna Lani Point, Big Island ?

Doing the volcano from the Kona side is a bit of a haul; the driving distances on the Big Island can be deceptively long and likely taxing for someone recovering from radiation treatment. Instead, I strongly suggest a helicopter tour (with the caveats about doing due diligence on the operator's safety record) which will allow you to cover a lot of ground in a shorter amount of time, get a guided narration from the pilot, and see things from a vantage point that can't be found at ground level. There a large heliport about five minutes from the Waikoloa resort area. In general, viewing conditions are best in the morning as it gets cloudy in the afternoon.

Consolidated "Helicopter tours on the Big Island - Suggestions/Questions" thread

Final hint - The Costco between Kailua-Kona and Keahole Airport has the cheapest gas on the island. They also have a decent amount of local products.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 1, 2023 at 12:19 pm
Old Sep 1, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
If you really want to splurge (they are both very pricy) since you will only be there for 2 nights, I would recommend Kona Village https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/kona-village or Four Seasons Hualalai https://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai...ocal_kon1_amer

They are both close to the airport and are on the beach just north of the airport. If your goal is to do a private around the island tour, either resort can arrange it. I would not recommend renting a car for either of these locations.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Thanks for all the responses/info.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It's really not that much difference in time from Kona to Airport vs Waikoloa beach. Would recommend hotel in Waikoloa over Kona if its in the budget, also not sure an Airbnb is worth it just for 2 nights with all the fees, but possibly.
Honestly the budget isn't the big concern, within reason. It sounds like once you are in the Waikoloa area it can be involved to get to your room and that the properties there are designed for you to stay there and enjoy amenities. I kind of feel like this trip is when traveling for business and you are in for a one day meeting so you stay close to the airport and grab a ride to your meeting. That said, I am not opposed to being up there, it is where there are many hotels. My biggest concern is being able to easily get to the room, not having a long walk from the parking lot. Also, at this point the prices are high enough on all the locations I have looked at up there that Airbnb's are about the same or less from what I have seen.

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
In general, the properties in the Waikoloa Beach area are nicer that what can be found in the Kailua-Kona town area; there's some nicer properties to the south in Keahou.

There's several condo properties that could meet your needs; I've done a few stays in two bedroom condos at the Shores of Waikoloa with five others and it was fine. - https://www.waikoloabeachresort.com/...ccommodations/
I will check this out. I understand about a 2 bedroom, but as the rest of the trip will be sharing 2 bedrooms, we really are going to need the break and our own space. Typically 3 days is about the max of time with MIL before my husband and I need a break.

There are also three gorgeous Destination by Hyatt properties in the Mauna Lani resort just to the north; I've not looked into the minimum night stay requirements for them. Mauna Lani Point, Big Island ?
I saw those but don't recall if there was availability. I will check it out again.

Doing the volcano from the Kona side is a bit of a haul; the driving distances on the Big Island can be deceptively long and likely taxing for someone recovering from radiation treatment. Instead, I strongly suggest a helicopter tour (with the caveats about doing due diligence on the operator's safety record) which will allow you to cover a lot of ground in a shorter amount of time, get a guided narration from the pilot, and see things from a vantage point that can't be found at ground level. There a large heliport about five minutes from the Waikoloa resort area. In general, viewing conditions are best in the morning as it gets cloudy in the afternoon.

Consolidated "Helicopter tours on the Big Island - Suggestions/Questions" thread
I appreciate this idea. We are already planning to do a helicopter ride in Kauai, so not sure that will fly (no pun intended!) with everyone else. This is why I wanted to find a private tour so that we would have the ability to limit the day some and see just what we want to. I recall that it was a long day to do the circle island tour, so I will discuss it with everyone to be sure they understand what we are in for. This is really the only reason we are going to Big Island, so want to be sure they are up for it.

Final hint - The Costco between Kailua-Kona and Keahole Airport has the cheapest gas on the island. They also have a decent amount of local products.
Thanks! I recall how happy I was when the Kauai Costco opened up, so we will keep it in mind.

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
If you really want to splurge (they are both very pricy) since you will only be there for 2 nights, I would recommend Kona Village https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/kona-village or Four Seasons Hualalai https://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai...ocal_kon1_amer

They are both close to the airport and are on the beach just north of the airport. If your goal is to do a private around the island tour, either resort can arrange it. I would not recommend renting a car for either of these locations.
I was just looking at the Kona Village yesterday! I think that is a bit too pricey, however. We are actually doing Oahu for 2 days, Big Island for 2 days and then Kauai for 6-7 days. We also booked first class for 4 from the east coast, which cost a pretty penny. We don't want to spend all of the inheritance in one trip! lol

I guess I should have listed this before, but in laws are in their early 80's so this is the last/only chance for this trip. I am trying to fit in all the they want to do without wearing them out (although overall they are actually in great shape- if it wasn't for the radiation treatments for FIL I wouldn't be concerned).

Thanks for all the info, if anyone else has more ideas/ info about private tour I would appreciate it!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 1, 2023 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 1, 2023, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Circumnavigating the Big Island without stopping would be about 225 miles of driving and take over five hours. Kona side to the entrance to Volcanoes National Park is a two+ hour drive. It's a lot of time to spend in a car for a short time on the island. If the sole/primary purpose of the trip is to visit VNP, then Hilo (Airport Code ITO) is far closer. However, hotels are limited to a Doubletree and some two star places.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 1, 2023 at 2:58 pm
Old Sep 1, 2023, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Circumnavigating the Big Island without stopping would be about 225 miles of driving and take over five hours. Kona side to the entrance to Volcanoes National Park is a two+ hour drive. It's a lot of time to spend in a car for a short time on the island.
The reason I was thinking of the tour was it covers the volcano that FIL wants and it also covered some Hawaiian history/monuments/historical sites which my husband would love.

I think you make a great point and I am going to need to discuss this with them more and ensure that they understand what it will entail.

What about flying into Hilo? We don't yet have interisland flights, so there is really no reason we couldn't fly into there if it made it easier. But would that mean that we only did the volcano, and not much else?

I appreciate the insights!
Old Sep 1, 2023, 3:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
But would that mean that we only did the volcano, and not much else?
Akaka Falls
The Tsunami Museum
Imiloa Museum/Astronomy Center

to name just three
Old Sep 1, 2023, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
We enjoyed the helicopter flight on Kaua'i much more than the one on the B.I.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
If you are next to the water on Oahu, only on Big Island for two nights, and want to see the volcano, my recommendation would be to fly into Hilo, drive 45 miles to the south, and stay at Volcano House. https://hawaiivolcanohouse.com/

Either before or after your stay, yo can check out Akaka Falls, etc.
TH310 and mauve like this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
If you are doing other island thr places I would focus on are….( mainly oh thr Hilo side)

volcano np
black sand beach that is SW from the volcano.
Akaka falls near hilo
Waipio valley lookout
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:18 pm

1/ Lodging that is right on the water/ good views. As we will be sharing a 2 bedroom condo in Oahu and Kauai, we would really like 2 one bedroom units in one complex. This can be a hotel or a VRBO/AirBNB, etc. We will only be on island for 2 nights, so was thinking in Kona area, as our flight out is fairly early, so closer to the airport would be better.
We stayed at Hale Kona Kai in 2021. It is right on the water and very close to downtown Kona. All the units are one-bedroom, not fancy, but comfortable. I'd recommend 3rd or 4th floor, just because I like to be up higher; there is an elevator as well as stairs. Reserved parking spaces are right there at the building. There is a 3-night minimum, though, so you'd be paying for a night you can't use.

A bunch of units available at this site. Others rented separately on VRBO or other sites.

However, given that the volcano is a high priority, I'd second 747FC's recommendation of flying into Hilo and staying the two nights at Volcano House. Of course it wouldn't be on the water, and the rooms are the opposite of fancy, but then you're right there and can spend the full day (or as long as you like) touring Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Or stay in Hilo, where you could be on the water and still have a much shorter drive to the volcanoes than it would be from Kona.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great ideas. I will be discussing all the options with everyone. I am leaning towards flying into Hilo and doing the suggestions on that side of the island. We would still like a guide to show us around. Does anyone have ideas where to find that?
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:06 am

We would still like a guide to show us around. Does anyone have ideas where to find that?
It's not as personal as a human guide, but have you considered a driving tour app? These run on your phone and play audio that is synced to your GPS location. They tell stories about the area, sights that are coming up, where and when to turn to see them, etc.

A couple options:
Shaka Guide (iPhone/iPad or Android)
Hawaii Revealed (iPhone only)
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rare
It's not as personal as a human guide, but have you considered a driving tour app? These run on your phone and play audio that is synced to your GPS location. They tell stories about the area, sights that are coming up, where and when to turn to see them, etc.

A couple options:
Shaka Guide (iPhone/iPad or Android)
Hawaii Revealed (iPhone only)
I have heard of this type of thing but never used it. This might be a great option, especially if we are doing just the Hilo option. Thanks for the idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.