Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Maui (Post-2023 Fires)" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2023, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Archived threads (note that many restaurants in West Maui were severely impacted by the August 2023 fires with many in Lahaina a total loss):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/736984-consolidated-maui-restaurants-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2023, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

At the time of this post, West Maui (including Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Kapalua) remains closed to tourism. However, the rest of the island of Maui is open. Starting this thread to discuss the restaurants open at this time, as well as the ones to open (or re-open) in the months to come.

Sharing the following article highlighting several restaurants and I think the opening paragraphs are well-stated and worth reading:

The message is clear: Except for West Maui, the Valley Isle is once again open to tourists. Or is the message really so clear? On the one hand is a chorus of government officials, business groups and small business owners pointing out the obvious—that after an initial evacuation of tourists when fire mitigation and finding survivors was paramount, an island whose economy is 80% dependent on tourism is now suffering.

On the other hand are survivors and others who are processing shock and grief, hoping for word from missing loved ones and coming to terms with rebuilding from zero. Maui’s collective psyche may not be ready for fun-seeking vacationers. In the end, the question of whether or when to visit will be a personal one...

When you go, please be sensitive. Be respectful. And help the economy by eating well. From food trucks and gas stations ... to comfort food havens, beachfront haute cuisine and upscale pizza Upcountry, Maui’s food scene is as remarkable as its people.
https://www.honolulumagazine.com/mau...ide-west-maui/
Old Aug 26, 2023, 6:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Mama's Fish House in Paia is open.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'Like poke" truck in Wailuku - open - went late morning - excellent poke no wait

Monkeypod kitchen wailea - reasonably busy at happy hour but no wait..

peace love shaved ice in kihei - very friendly offered to try different things and nice fluffy shaved ice - again no wait

Island gourmet store probably a third of usual volume of shoppers...

a couple places we will probably not return to as unfortunately they see tourists as walking wallets:
nutcharee's thai in kihei - overpriced with one spring roll cut into 4 small pieces going for $10.. and they add "kitchen support fee" to total - huh?
tobi's poke and shaved ice in paia - half pound of poke container does not look like half pound (i did not ask to actually weigh it) and they refused to mix different styles together when we ordered a pound requiring spending more on multiple smaller portions

Last edited by azepine00; Sep 5, 2023 at 12:13 am
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:26 am

Any recent reviews of Da Kitchen lately? We have enjoyed in years past.

Also, coconuts in Kihei?

And any poke places near Kihei/ Wailea that you would recommend since Tamura’s is off limits for our next visit?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pickles1107

Also, coconuts in Kihei?

And any poke places near Kihei/ Wailea that you would recommend since Tamura’s is off limits for our next visit?
Foodland
dlaue likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:19 pm

Also, coconuts in Kihei?

Da Kitchen Kahului is permanently closed. Da Kitchen Express in Kihei moved to a new location and is open. We ate there when my family came to Maui earlier this year. Everybody really liked Mi So Phat in Kihei.

-David
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Gather Maui (formerly Gannon's) in Wailea is open and a really good spot for happy hour or dinner. I believe they are going to go seven days soon but for now are closed Sun/Mon.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Tiffany’s in Wailuku was recently featured in the NY Times’ “50 places in the United States that we’re most excited about now” https://www.nytimes.com/shared/v2/in.../tiffanys.html

When the chef Sheldon Simeon and his wife, Janice, took it over last year, they kept its unpretentious spirit and royal-blue booths while gently bringing an artisanal focus to the kitchen.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Tiffany's is great. Nice variety in dishes and a menu that changes regularly. Also appreciate the very local crowd.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Paia Fish Market in Kihei is still open, still serving great food, and still slammed with lines so didn’t appear to be hurting for business when I went.

Nutcharee’s Thai closes at 8 now and wouldn’t seat me at 7:25 PM.

Ululani’s Shave Ice is still packed with lines. Excellent shave ice if a bit on the expensive side.

Waikiki Brewing Company in Wailea has excellent fish and chips. Very crispy batter for the fresh caught fish and good sized portion. I couldn’t finish my chips.

The food truck court on Pi`ikea St in Kihei (behind the Azeka Mauka shopping center) has some excellent choices. The trucks have changed out since last year but there’s a wide range of offerings now from Filipino/local food to wagyu burgers and various shrimp dishes to barbecue to Thai, etc.
mtofell likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Only sort of related to Maui restaurants but I took my mother out to lunch in Honolulu today and she suggested going to a new shave ice place on Kapahulu. It turns out Ululani's has now opened a Honolulu store near Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu. Same great flavors and fine grain shave ice. Also same highish prices -- I think you get more for your money at Waiola but Ululani's syrups are top-notch. I really like their mango, guava, and lychee syrups -- they taste so natural ...
dlaue likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
. . . . .Also, coconuts in Kihei?. . . . .
The "second" upstairs location in south Kihei was open when we were on island about a month ago for a few hours making an airline connection.

The "first" older location farther north next to the tatoo shop near Safeway was closed until further notice. But we heard they were both open now. You might check the website for clarification.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Vegetarian choices ?

Any recommendations for vegetarians (dairy, eggs ok; no meat , no fish, no seafood) ?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by legionnaire
Any recommendations for vegetarians (dairy, eggs ok; no meat , no fish, no seafood) ?
In a very, very casual setting, there are good vegetarian options here:

https://brothataliveandwell.com/
legionnaire likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Fork and Salad in Kalahui was a good lunchtime choice this past week.
Baked on Maui in Haiku is a great choice if you're in that area.
legionnaire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.