Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Large Brush Fires Impacting Maui and Hawaii Islands (August 8, 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Maui County Statement on Leisure Travel to Maui Island [August 24, 2023]

VISITORS TO MAUI

For malihini, or visitors, to Maui please refrain from visiting West Maui or Kula. We greatly appreciate your understanding as we allocate appropriate resources toward recovery efforts for these affected communities. This includes: Lahaina, Napili, Kaʻanapali, Kapalua, Kahana, Kula, and Honokawai. Other areas of Maui remain open and welcome to visitors.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/

For those wishing to donate to recovery efforts:

HOW TO AVOID DONATION SCAMS

Hawaii State Attorney General Anne Lopez is urging people to use caution when choosing where to send money and donations to help communities affected by the Maui wildfires.

“I know that the people of Hawaii will come to the aid of our families, neighbors and communities. We are already seeing various fundraising efforts being promoted on social media platforms and online. In moments of crisis, we all must be extra vigilant against bad actors who try to take advantage of people’s goodwill.”

Advice from the state Department of the Attorney General includes:

>> Choose trusted, well-known charities. Beware of scammers who create fake charities during natural disasters. Always verify a charity’s legitimacy through its official website. If someone is fundraising on behalf of a charity you are familiar with, the best practice is to donate directly to that charity.

>> Verify that the charity is legitimate. Any charity that solicits donations in Hawaii must be registered with the Department of the Attorney General, and its status can be verified at charity.ehawaii.gov/charity/search.html.

>> Use independent online sources. Verify that a charity is legitimate:Airline forum links:
Alaska Airlines - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post35484982
United Airlines - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...10-2023-a.html

Print Wikipost

Large Brush Fires Impacting Maui and Hawaii Islands (August 8, 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
maui for the Fall

I hope those of us who have reservations in West Maui in the next few months don't cancel. Lahaina is really sad. But the rest of West Maui Kaanapali and Napili and Kapalua is ok. They will need our business to survive.
ExplorerWannabe and mtofell like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by diver858
Perhaps it is a bit too soon to make such statements, but good things will hopefully come from this tragedy. Lahaina has been steadily going downhill, with block after block of vacant and underutilized commercial space. If (big ask) Maui County and State of Hawaii can work together in an effective and expeditious manner, Lahaina II will regain the former charm and character, lost many decades ago.
I'm glad you said it, because I was thinking it.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Just stunning. My friends’ flight ogg>Sfo has a 9 hour delay and the plane is en route so ideally they can exit ogg. They were able to hang out at grand Wailea during the delay…

just so sad.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Extending my most heartfelt thoughts to those affected. I will also call my congressman to encourage swift deployment of federal aid and money.
jakeller likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:27 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
This is not the case at all. Hawaii's governor is telling everybody not to come at all as there is not enough long term housing for the residents of Maui and that hotels and any available rental unit will need to be used for residents and not random tourists for the foreseeable future. It is not like 1,000s of permanent housing units are going to appear in Maui overnight. Even if some hotels are able to open up, many of the staff will likely have to live in the hotels leaving a lot less rooms that would be available for any visitors. Water is going to run out without electricity in the area to pump it. Cell towers were burned to the ground. They have a long road to recovery ahead. Tourism will have to wait. People should be able to get a refund if they are not able to shift their travel to another destination.

--
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/maui-wildfires-08-09-23/index.html

While
shelter space for an emergency response to the raging wildfires in Maui is available for a just a few days, "there's not enough shelter for long-term living," according to Hawaii Gov. Josh Green.

He told CNN's Sara Sidner Wednesday that individuals should visit the island another time, noting that residents are struggling to recover from the unprecedented fires.
"What we're trying to do right now is to make sure that anyone who doesn't need to be in Maui for anything but essential travel does not go to Maui. We'll welcome visitors back to paradise after the fire's done and after we can rebuild," he said, citing the need to utilize as many hotel rooms, Airbnbs, and other shelters "to house our people."Several thousand people will need housing, he estimated.
"I'm making a call right now to all the people of Hawaii: If you have an ADU on your property, if you have a rental that's not occupied right now, we will be promoting a program quite quickly ... to put people back into shelter," he said without providing additional information on the program.
"We already struggle with homelessness and a severe shortage of housing in our state, so this of course exacerbates that problem," the governor said.
A lot of the governor's comments are typical of someone on the public payroll that will have a job regardless. Yes, there's been a tragedy but it's easy for someone with no financial stake to just tell everyone to stay away. Are Air BnB owners suddenly going to open up their oceanfront condos to Lahaina workers for 25% fo the usual rent? Unlikely. As for the "program" the governor boasts about, don't hold your breath. It's from the same mouth that's been talking about addressing the need for low income housing here in Maui for years. How's that progressing?? Sure, there's a crisis now but what is really going to structurally change? Some token "program" and a bunch of lip service. The majority of the action will be taken by the private sector and the hard working people on the island, despite a bunch of typical government rhetoric.
bbbb, LETTERBOY, rune87 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I am not sure that people understand 1) the fires are still burning, 2) the magnitude of the devastation, 3) the impact on residents - and I mean those who live and work here, not just visit. Not to mention ongoing issues with the infra-structure.

now is not the time to visit Maui.....

have a nice week planned at the Ritz?
... how do you plan on getting there?

I think the Hyatt doesnt have power
cell and 911 service is out for many aspects of the island.....
renila and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Resorts areas might be physically untouched, but I wonder about those who work there - who were either personally impacted or had close friends/family who were…same goes for restaurants, tour companies, etc. Just back from Oahu/Lanai and it’s awful to think about. And definitely no good answers right now on what to do about imminent travel plans.
cawhite, wrp96 and jkjetsetters like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by mfirst
I am not sure that people understand 1) the fires are still burning, 2) the magnitude of the devastation, 3) the impact on residents - and I mean those who live and work here, not just visit. Not to mention ongoing issues with the infra-structure.

now is not the time to visit Maui.....

have a nice week planned at the Ritz?
... how do you plan on getting there?

I think the Hyatt doesnt have power
cell and 911 service is out for many aspects of the island.....
Originally Posted by socalterp
Resorts areas might be physically untouched, but I wonder about those who work there - who were either personally impacted or had close friends/family who were…same goes for restaurants, tour companies, etc. Just back from Oahu/Lanai and it’s awful to think about. And definitely no good answers right now on what to do about imminent travel plans.
There's A LOT of Maui outside of Lahaina. Obviously, this is a terrible time for the people of Maui. Trust me, I'm one them and have co-workers and friends across the island. The devastation and destruction is real and the full extent is still unknown. People have lost family members, businesses, their entire lives. Yes, time needs to be taken to ensure all that is possible is being done but does that mean the entire island is supposed to shut down? Does Palm Springs close up when there's a hurricane in Florida? Cancelling an entire island is NOT the answer. Everyone with travel plans to Maui take a couple days and take a breath. 99% of people with travel plans will have the same cancellation options in a week. Despite what the news is saying, it's not a "Total Apocalypse" on the whole island here. The majority of the island is still open and there are business owners, employees and others still here ready to serve you and counting on you to make their living.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by mtofell
There's A LOT of Maui outside of Lahaina. Obviously, this is a terrible time for the people of Maui. Trust me, I'm one them and have co-workers and friends across the island. The devastation and destruction is real and the full extent is still unknown. People have lost family members, businesses, their entire lives. Yes, time needs to be taken to ensure all that is possible is being done but does that mean the entire island is supposed to shut down? Does Palm Springs close up when there's a hurricane in Florida? Cancelling an entire island is NOT the answer. Everyone with travel plans to Maui take a couple days and take a breath. 99% of people with travel plans will have the same cancellation options in a week. Despite what the news is saying, it's not a "Total Apocalypse" on the whole island here. The majority of the island is still open and there are business owners, employees and others still here ready to serve you and counting on you to make their living.
This is a valuable perspective for me as I'm currently quite torn on the right thing to do. We would arrive in just over a week, so very imminently - does that change the analysis at all? (Of course, it's possible that airline operations may make the decision for us.) Many thanks.
sparker72 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
This is a valuable perspective for me as I'm currently quite torn on the right thing to do. We would arrive in just over a week, so very imminently - does that change the analysis at all? (Of course, it's possible that airline operations may make the decision for us.) Many thanks.
I'd say it depends where you're staying.... Right in Lahaina? I'd probably look elsewhere or check very closely to be sure you're place is available. I haven't specifically heard but in the absence of bad news I think the areas north of Lahaina did okay? Kaanapali, Kapalu, Napili, etc Of course, there are still disaster efforts taking place so the whole west side could be closed.

South Maui down by Kihei/Wailea/Makena (or pretty much anywhere else on the island) should be fine. I'd say to keep an eye on things over the next few days but there's a good chance you'll be okay, especially if you're not staying near Lahaina.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'd say it depends where you're staying.... Right in Lahaina? I'd probably look elsewhere or check very closely to be sure you're place is available. I haven't specifically heard but in the absence of bad news I think the areas north of Lahaina did okay? Kaanapali, Kapalu, Napili, etc Of course, there are still disaster efforts taking place so the whole west side could be closed.

South Maui down by Kihei/Wailea/Makena (or pretty much anywhere else on the island) should be fine. I'd say to keep an eye on things over the next few days but there's a good chance you'll be okay, especially if you're not staying near Lahaina.
Appreciate it. Yes, this would be Wailea.
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
At least 36 dead per bbc & cnn

Hawaii fires: 36 dead as resort town burns - BBC News

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Aug 10, 2023 at 6:43 am
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Two schools of thought here: Go anyways even though you are being told not to and "help" the economy. Stay away and let them recover. I am of the latter.
renila, bbbb, Finkface and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
In these kinds of large scale disasters, it can take a solid week or more for a preliminary damage assessment to come out . IMO, it really is too soon to make a decision for planned trips in September or beyond.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by beachmouse
In these kinds of large scale disasters, it can take a solid week or more for a preliminary damage assessment to come out . IMO, it really is too soon to make a decision for planned trips in September or beyond.
I agree. There are two decision timelines to be discussed.

1) if your vacation is coming up within the next few weeks, and especially if you were scheduled to stay in west Maui, cancel now and make other plans. With the caveat from the reports above that if you were scheduled to stay in one of the areas unaffected by the fires (Wailea for example), you might still wait a few days for more info to come out.

2) if your vacation is in September or beyond, give it at least a few days before making any changes. Maybe start thinking of alternatives, but don't make any rash decisions.

Either way, give the good people of Maui time to mourn their losses and figure out what has really happened. Your vacation, while important to you, is nothing compared to these people's lives and livelihoods.
bbbb, Finkface, sparker72 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.