Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Large Brush Fires Impacting Maui and Hawaii Islands (August 8, 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Maui County Statement on Leisure Travel to Maui Island [August 24, 2023]

VISITORS TO MAUI

For malihini, or visitors, to Maui please refrain from visiting West Maui or Kula. We greatly appreciate your understanding as we allocate appropriate resources toward recovery efforts for these affected communities. This includes: Lahaina, Napili, Kaʻanapali, Kapalua, Kahana, Kula, and Honokawai. Other areas of Maui remain open and welcome to visitors.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/

For those wishing to donate to recovery efforts:

HOW TO AVOID DONATION SCAMS

Hawaii State Attorney General Anne Lopez is urging people to use caution when choosing where to send money and donations to help communities affected by the Maui wildfires.

“I know that the people of Hawaii will come to the aid of our families, neighbors and communities. We are already seeing various fundraising efforts being promoted on social media platforms and online. In moments of crisis, we all must be extra vigilant against bad actors who try to take advantage of people’s goodwill.”

Advice from the state Department of the Attorney General includes:

>> Choose trusted, well-known charities. Beware of scammers who create fake charities during natural disasters. Always verify a charity’s legitimacy through its official website. If someone is fundraising on behalf of a charity you are familiar with, the best practice is to donate directly to that charity.

>> Verify that the charity is legitimate. Any charity that solicits donations in Hawaii must be registered with the Department of the Attorney General, and its status can be verified at charity.ehawaii.gov/charity/search.html.

>> Use independent online sources. Verify that a charity is legitimate:Airline forum links:
Alaska Airlines - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post35484982
United Airlines - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...10-2023-a.html

Print Wikipost

Large Brush Fires Impacting Maui and Hawaii Islands (August 8, 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Screenshot from Hawaii news Now since their website sucks if you click on it soon.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:10 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
https://www.forbes.com/sites/willmcg...h=2bc717ac165b

Lets see how many of the original residents stay......

Time is not on their side.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by philemer
We spent 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency Maui a couple of weeks ago and there were ~300 displaced folks staying there, according to an employee. Very hard situation.
The Red Cross was using one of the conference rooms to feed people.
One? It looked like they were using both Lahaina 3 and Lahaina 4 for meals last week. I walked down the beach walk and went by when they were doing breakfast twice and dinner once.

The Royal Lahaina resort is using its restaurant to feed people and is doing catered food in the room just adjacent to it. The restaurant itself is open to the public too, but the entire resort is only taking displaced residents right now. One person we have known for many years, whose house burned down in the fire, is still staying there. I'm not sure where she's going to go when the resort reopens to the public but they really need to get those people into places with kitchen facilities.

I volunteered at the Westside Distribution Center on 2/21, which processed 121 vehicles that day. They had us write name tags with our names and home city/state/country on them, saying that some of the people who go through the distribution center had never seen a tourist do something useful for residents. Apparently this subtle thing has at least started to change some opinions.

I would remove the recommendation in the wiki to avoid the west side. Everyone I interacted with was happy that we were there and spending money in West Maui.
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.