Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Large Brush Fires Impacting Maui and Hawaii Islands (August 8, 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Maui County Statement on Leisure Travel to Maui Island [August 24, 2023]

VISITORS TO MAUI

For malihini, or visitors, to Maui please refrain from visiting West Maui or Kula. We greatly appreciate your understanding as we allocate appropriate resources toward recovery efforts for these affected communities. This includes: Lahaina, Napili, Kaʻanapali, Kapalua, Kahana, Kula, and Honokawai. Other areas of Maui remain open and welcome to visitors.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/

For those wishing to donate to recovery efforts:

HOW TO AVOID DONATION SCAMS

Hawaii State Attorney General Anne Lopez is urging people to use caution when choosing where to send money and donations to help communities affected by the Maui wildfires.

“I know that the people of Hawaii will come to the aid of our families, neighbors and communities. We are already seeing various fundraising efforts being promoted on social media platforms and online. In moments of crisis, we all must be extra vigilant against bad actors who try to take advantage of people’s goodwill.”

Advice from the state Department of the Attorney General includes:

>> Choose trusted, well-known charities. Beware of scammers who create fake charities during natural disasters. Always verify a charity’s legitimacy through its official website. If someone is fundraising on behalf of a charity you are familiar with, the best practice is to donate directly to that charity.

>> Verify that the charity is legitimate. Any charity that solicits donations in Hawaii must be registered with the Department of the Attorney General, and its status can be verified at charity.ehawaii.gov/charity/search.html.

>> Use independent online sources. Verify that a charity is legitimate:Airline forum links:
Alaska Airlines - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post35484982
United Airlines - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...10-2023-a.html

Print Wikipost

Large Brush Fires Impacting Maui and Hawaii Islands (August 8, 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:24 pm

For those of you have had a disaster happen prior to taking a planned trip..how would you approach? We have a trip to Maui booked for January.
altabello likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by godawgs
For those of you have had a disaster happen prior to taking a planned trip..how would you approach? We have a trip to Maui booked for January.
If Maui is your intended destination, wait.

If you want to cancel reservations and book elsewhere due to demand at that time of year, then change.

David
LETTERBOY, wrp96, ysolde and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
If Maui is your intended destination, wait.

If you want to cancel reservations and book elsewhere due to demand at that time of year, then change.

David
It's just Hawaii in general. We have the Grand Wailea booked, which might be OK to go to still? Maybe I will call in a few months to ask..otherwise could switch to the Big Island.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by godawgs
It's just Hawaii in general. We have the Grand Wailea booked, which might be OK to go to still? Maybe I will call in a few months to ask..otherwise could switch to the Big Island.
Grand Wailea is fine.... totally other end of the island from Lahaina and far from the other fires. The restaurant I work at part time is nearby and they are open today as usual if that's any indication.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Horrifying to see the destruction. I visited Lahaina each of my first 4 trips to Maui (2002, 2006, 2008 and 2014), but I very much regret not visiting in 2019, which was the last time I was on Maui. Lahaina was a bit quaint for my tastes, but I loved seeing the legendary banyan tree. It looks like it is still standing from the pictures I have seen, but I have no idea if a tree that has been scorched like that can survive. Hearts out to everyone on the island; clearly a long and trying time to recovery is coming, and I hope that Maui receives the funds necessary to help the residents, first and foremost, rebuild their lives.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:32 pm

Have a trip to Maui in 3 weeks near Wailea. Obviously island is going to be stressed. Torn between knowing the people and island will still need/want tourist dollars and not getting in the way.
sparker72 and altabello like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
We are also scheduled to visit in early September, staying in Wailea - too early to say.
altabello and Mperk like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
My wife and I are deeply saddened by this news. Maui is one of our happy places - we trade off every year with Kauai and have made a number of trips to the island. The people of Maui have always been nothing but exceptional to us and so it really is... disturbing to see this.

Can anyone from the island offer suggestions of local charities to donate to that will have impact, both short and long term?
corky and altabello like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mtofell
Super sad about Lahaina for sure. Everything being old/dry, close together and built without modern day fire-stopping measures and I can only imagine the destruction. I work in building inspections and have studied a lot about fire damage and after hanging out in downtown Lahaina it makes me cringe just thinking about how bad it likely is.
Perhaps it is a bit too soon to make such statements, but good things will hopefully come from this tragedy. Lahaina has been steadily going downhill, with block after block of vacant and underutilized commercial space. If (big ask) Maui County and State of Hawaii can work together in an effective and expeditious manner, Lahaina II will regain the former charm and character, lost many decades ago. After government incompetence, my biggest fear is that insurance companies will drag their feet, avoid prompt payouts to sustain affected businesses and residents in the short term, insufficient to rebuild.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by diver858
Perhaps it is a bit too soon to make such statements, but good things will hopefully come from this tragedy. Lahaina has been steadily going downhill, with block after block of vacant and underutilized commercial space. If (big ask) Maui County and State of Hawaii can work together in an effective and expeditious manner, Lahaina II will regain the former charm and character, lost many decades ago. After government incompetence, my biggest fear is that insurance companies will drag their feet, avoid prompt payouts to sustain affected businesses and residents in the short term, insufficient to rebuild.
I expect that DC will throw a lot more than paper towels toward the recovery.
corky, mlbcard, boxo and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
Originally Posted by sullim4

Can anyone from the island offer suggestions of local charities to donate to that will have impact, both short and long term?
this Instagram was posted from someone I trust
https://instagram.com/mauirapidrespo...RlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted...UWZJDTcVcV0kQM
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by traveler202
Have a trip to Maui in 3 weeks near Wailea. Obviously island is going to be stressed. Torn between knowing the people and island will still need/want tourist dollars and not getting in the way.
Originally Posted by diver858
We are also scheduled to visit in early September, staying in Wailea - too early to say.
Yeah, I'd sit tight for now... hard to say what things will look like even a couple weeks from now. My wife has two vacation rentals and today has been a flurry of activity. Several knee-jerk cancellations off in the distance but also some last-minute bookings to help displaced Lahaina vacationers. We're also in close contact with the management of one of the buildings and they've been absolutely flooded with early checkouts from people panicking and taking off.

Overall, I'd encourage travelers to be sensitive to things here but don't abandon plans as tourism is (unfortunately) pretty much the only thing we have going on. The entire area of south Maui (Kihei, Wailea, etc.) is untouched and open for business and will welcome travelers.
cawhite, LETTERBOY, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:47 pm

Thinking of those affected...
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Been listening to KPOA (the local Hawaiian music station on Maui). They have been broadcasting updates encouraging tourists to leave, including with state-sponsored buses from the Sheraton Maui to the airport.

There will be plenty of time in the future to help support the island and its wonderful people with tourism dollars, but for the immediate future, unless you can stay and volunteer your skillset (aka contractors, medical personnel, emergency services providers, etc) best course of action is to not travel to Maui and not overwhelm the island.

Words can't state how I'm feeling at the moment for my home away from home. As a first responder, I'm tempted to jump on a plane and go and help in whatever way I can, but will wait to hear for an official call to do so.
cawhite likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:19 pm

Having lived through the evacuation last night my biggest takeaway and advice is to not rely on the government too much. Sure, evacuation orders, etc. are great and with modern day internet the communication is great but my point is don't expect too much assistance and always lookout for yourself. I watched the fire crawl down the mountain towards me yesterday evening and was packing and ready long before we got any official orders. All of the sudden around midnight police came screaming through our neighborhood telling us to GET OUT NOW! The panic and urgency was a bit excessive and premature but kind of the way government operates, I suppose. I talked to one of the officers and he asked if he could look behind my house to see the fire... of course, I said yes. But, it reminded me that he was just following orders to "evacuate code 3" or whatever.... basically, things go in big, slow moving chunks with government and you always need to watch out for yourself. They were slow to reach out at first and when they did it was too much. I'm not complaining at all and totally understand the police and other public servants had a lot on their plates. Again, just look out for yourself and don't expect government to always be timely and accurate.... they are only set up to do so much. Reach out to neighbors if you need help as that will be the best you can do in most crisis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.