Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Large Brush Fires Impacting Maui and Hawaii Islands (August 8, 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Maui County Statement on Leisure Travel to Maui Island [August 24, 2023]

VISITORS TO MAUI

For malihini, or visitors, to Maui please refrain from visiting West Maui or Kula. We greatly appreciate your understanding as we allocate appropriate resources toward recovery efforts for these affected communities. This includes: Lahaina, Napili, Kaʻanapali, Kapalua, Kahana, Kula, and Honokawai. Other areas of Maui remain open and welcome to visitors.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/

For those wishing to donate to recovery efforts:

HOW TO AVOID DONATION SCAMS

Hawaii State Attorney General Anne Lopez is urging people to use caution when choosing where to send money and donations to help communities affected by the Maui wildfires.

“I know that the people of Hawaii will come to the aid of our families, neighbors and communities. We are already seeing various fundraising efforts being promoted on social media platforms and online. In moments of crisis, we all must be extra vigilant against bad actors who try to take advantage of people’s goodwill.”

Advice from the state Department of the Attorney General includes:

>> Choose trusted, well-known charities. Beware of scammers who create fake charities during natural disasters. Always verify a charity’s legitimacy through its official website. If someone is fundraising on behalf of a charity you are familiar with, the best practice is to donate directly to that charity.

>> Verify that the charity is legitimate. Any charity that solicits donations in Hawaii must be registered with the Department of the Attorney General, and its status can be verified at charity.ehawaii.gov/charity/search.html.

>> Use independent online sources. Verify that a charity is legitimate:Airline forum links:
Alaska Airlines - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post35484982
United Airlines - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...10-2023-a.html

Print Wikipost

Large Brush Fires Impacting Maui and Hawaii Islands (August 8, 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I am beyond stunned.

our good friends are stuck at OGG - their flight’s delayed and I’m not going to ask anything at this point. Omg
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:29 pm

Initial flyover of Lahaina Screenshot this AM
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Maui Chamber of Commerce spokesperson stated that the Pioneer Inn (Best Western) in Lahaina was completely destroyed. The Banyon Tree burned but might not be lost. Fatalities in Lahaina were mentioned but not confirmed other than they were locals.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 9, 2023 at 1:53 pm
Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by octopuswithafez
I think it's from this video:

Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by azepine00
this looks absolutely devastating - hope for no loss of life..
Too late. Unfortunately, the latest news feed has 6 gone.

The Convention Center (Honolulu) has set up emergency lodging for those who can get off the island, and can't or haven't been able to make shelter arrangements.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
A few of us that lived on island over the years are putting our heads together to help, but not interfere with everything going on. Don’t have a solution, but we will do something.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
A few of us that lived on island over the years are putting our heads together to help, but not interfere with everything going on. Don’t have a solution, but we will do something.
cos-
im in wailuku now
supposed to leave tonight for few days
the local reports from Lahaina are very bad
the tree is gone
-m
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mfirst
cos-
im in wailuku now
supposed to leave tonight for few days
the local reports from Lahaina are very bad
the tree is gone
-m
My friends that have reported back is that Lahaina is simply gone. I’m open to moving back for a year or two to help, but I fear the west side is at best 10 years away from normal. My brother and I worked on many stores on Front Street . All are/were a tinder box.
italdesign likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:27 pm

Cos
I have a colleague who lives and works there, and he says that everything is gone
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by valleymonger
This is absolutely awful. Just completely devastating. Is there a list anywhere of businesses that have burned down? Trying to get an idea of the scope. Is it all just gone?
The image from Post 10 pretty much tells the story... the MODIS layer matches up pretty well with road closures and the footage so far.

Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'm down in Kihei and things are generally okay. We are kind of at the top of town above the highway up by Maui Brewing and had to evacuate last night around midnight as the fire was creeping down the hill. It ended up traveling more northward and got pretty close to some houses closer to the Sugar Beach area but as of yet I haven't heard of any injuries or damage.

Super sad about Lahaina for sure. Everything being old/dry, close together and built without modern day fire-stopping measures and I can only imagine the destruction. I work in building inspections and have studied a lot about fire damage and after hanging out in downtown Lahaina it makes me cringe just thinking about how bad it likely is.

This whole thing really is/was "the perfect storm" as the saying goes. The winds here have been stronger than anything I've seen... couple that with how hot/dry it's been and it's just a mess.
altabello likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My former neighbor has a son who works at Maui Fire Dept. They lost their engine to the flames in Lahaina. Hard to fight a fire when you're losing equipment to it also....
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:57 pm

Front Street from the ground... make sure you're sitting and have a strong stomach.

twitter.com/kazweida/status/1689390080677523458?s=46
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Southwest non-stop flights from Maui to another island is $19 today till Friday

For those trying to depart Maui, Southwest flights from Maui is $19 today till Friday.
jakeller, wrp96, catawba and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:19 pm

SW is helping trying to evacuate people off the island
$1 pet fares......

no one better complain about people bringing their pets.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.