Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i (2021-Onward)" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i (2021-Onward)" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:14 am

Our favorite shaved ice was at Wailua Shaved Ice. We tried Jojos and Uncles as well, but Wailua was the winner
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Patrick Ding
Our favorite shaved ice was at Wailua Shaved Ice. We tried Jojos and Uncles as well, but Wailua was the winner
so fun. I almost never seek shave ice at home yet I ate it almost daily in kaua’i :-)

local friends love kaua’i the most and will stay north in Princeville in April. I’m excited for them.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 4:09 pm

I’m wondering where is you favorite local food (restaurant or food stand) and fruit market?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dyxu0909
I’m wondering where is you favorite local food (restaurant or food stand) and fruit market?
Koloa Fish Market!
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Da Crack! Get the Mexican rice.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Controversial opinion, I know... I am not a big fan of Da Crack. I can't quite put my finger on it but I think it's a combination of their location (annoying parking lot, no seating, you order at a window), the lines, and the food being okay to good but not great.

If they were at, say, Puka Dog's location on the first floor of Brennecke's across from Poipu Beach Park, I might feel a bit differently. When Rafael's truck was still operating, they were often over at Salt Pond for lunch. I really enjoyed those tacos despite the food not being as good as other options - even say Island Taco's over in Waimea. The convenience factor and being able to just walk from my spot on the beach to the parking lot won out over driving out to get something and coming back with it.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4
Controversial opinion, I know... I am not a big fan of Da Crack. I can't quite put my finger on it but I think it's a combination of their location (annoying parking lot, no seating, you order at a window), the lines, and the food being okay to good but not great.

If they were at, say, Puka Dog's location on the first floor of Brennecke's across from Poipu Beach Park, I might feel a bit differently. When Rafael's truck was still operating, they were often over at Salt Pond for lunch. I really enjoyed those tacos despite the food not being as good as other options - even say Island Taco's over in Waimea. The convenience factor and being able to just walk from my spot on the beach to the parking lot won out over driving out to get something and coming back with it.
I certainly agree about the location. Fortunately, our condo is nearby, so we just go home and eat out on the lanai. However, if they were at the Puka Dog location, methinks the lines would be impossible.

Another idea - the burgers at the Hyatt's poolside cafe, Hale Nalu, are excellent.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:13 pm

Sad news. The Dolphin Poipu has closed. Their teriyaki ahi was one of my most favorite things to eat on the island (not to mention the sublime home made butter mochi with lilikoi glaze). Googling provides no information. The original Dolphin in Hanalei is still open, but that is too far to drive for dinner when one is staying on the south or west side. If I get any information, I'll pass it on.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Sad news. The Dolphin Poipu has closed. Their teriyaki ahi was one of my most favorite things to eat on the island (not to mention the sublime home made butter mochi with lilikoi glaze). Googling provides no information. The original Dolphin in Hanalei is still open, but that is too far to drive for dinner when one is staying on the south or west side. If I get any information, I'll pass it on.
Just saw that. Very bummed to see that, we're going back soon and the Dolphin has been our favorite place to eat in Poipu for a long time. I'm very curious what happened if you learn anything further.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by bpratt
Just saw that. Very bummed to see that, we're going back soon and the Dolphin has been our favorite place to eat in Poipu for a long time. I'm very curious what happened if you learn anything further.
I'm told that they never recovered from the pandemic and had a difficult time retaining employees.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I'm told that they never recovered from the pandemic and had a difficult time retaining employees.
I learned a bit more when we were in Kauai last week. New owners bought it during the pandemic, and then yes, it was a lack of employees problem. That's obviously a big issue for every place, pretty much everywhere had help wanted and/or reduced hours / days signs. I hope this is at least turning into increased income for the folks who are there.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 8:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Hi from here in Poipu. We're enjoying the Grand Hyatt! Dinner at the Tidepools was the only surprise. It was awful. We have loved it in the past. Hubby got food poisoning. Eeek. Menu unimpressive. Cancelled our second reservation.

Stephenson's Library was excellent. Red Salt was very good, Eating House was great as usual, Jo2 was great. We will check in from Beach House later in the week. Life is good here.
Tdb1960 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:48 pm

Not to get too political, but we'll never eat at Bubba's again. They post right wing political crap. They feel their staffing shortages are due to people getting free hand outs. I suspect the real reason is they don't pay as well as their competitors. Further, their soda, even though they allegedly have Coke products, tastes like it's made with sewer water. At least McDonald's knows how to mix the syrup with the carbonated water with the correct percentages.

Thanks for the tip, I will make sure to eat there as much as possible!!
DJ_Iceman and Tdb1960 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Toolmaker96
Thanks for the tip, I will make sure to eat there as much as possible!!
I recommend you eat there every day and twice on Sundays. It will do you a world of good! And enjoy the worst soft drinks on the planet!
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ijkh
Hi from here in Poipu. We're enjoying the Grand Hyatt! Dinner at the Tidepools was the only surprise. It was awful. We have loved it in the past. Hubby got food poisoning. Eeek. Menu unimpressive. Cancelled our second reservation.

Stephenson's Library was excellent. Red Salt was very good, Eating House was great as usual, Jo2 was great. We will check in from Beach House later in the week. Life is good here.
Just got back from Kaua'i. We ended up canceling our Red Salt reservation. We have always enjoyed the food there, as well as the Mai Tais at the bar. However, in anticipation of the visit, we went online to check out the menu. The prices are now beyond reasonable. A couple of examples: 4 oz. Ribeye $72, Lamb chops $85, Burger $60 (granted it's Wagyu and has lobster as one of the toppings). It wasn't that we couldn't afford it, it just the idea.

Finally got a chance to go to Kiawe Roots in Lawaii on the highway on the way to Kalaheo. Anyone planning to go should plan in advance. It is very small - it only seats about 20 people. The prices are very reasonable and the portions are very large. We had enough for another full meal at home the next evening (the night we were supposed to have gone to Red Salt).

The Kiawe Roots people have a brand new place in Koloa that is just breakfast and lunch, called Break + Feast. Also very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.