Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX MR to Hawaii (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:04 am
Original Poster

AMEX MR to Hawaii (Help!)

Hi all, trying to best utilize my MR points for a Hawaii trip from 4/3-4/7 (with +/- 3 days of flexibility) for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids - 11,9).

I'm based out of PHL but don't mind flying out of EWR, JFK, or LGA. Another option is to fly to LAX for a day to see the in laws before heading out, and although this is likely the least stressful on the family, I'm assuming it to be the least economical.

I noticed that AMEX is currently offering a pretty significant points transfer bonus in September, so I'm hoping to utilize that bonus if it makes sense to do so.
  • Transfer Amex points to Aer Lingus AerClub with a 25% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Aeromexico Club Premier with a 20% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Air Canada Aeroplan with a 15% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Air France-KLM Flying Blue with a 25% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Avianca LifeMiles with a 15% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to British Airways Executive Club with a 25% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles with a 20% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Qantas Frequent Flyer with a 20% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club with a 30% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Choice Privileges with a 25% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Hilton Honors with a 30% bonus
  • Transfer Amex points to Marriott Bonvoy with a 20% bonus
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It's complicated.

Different programs can charge different amounts of miles for the very same flights.

Some programs (like AA, DL, UA) use a zone-based redemption scheme in which connecting flights, if needed, are included in the redemption cost. Other programs (like BA) use a distance-of-flight scheme in which you are charged separately for each flight flown, regardless of whether you stop over, or merely connect, at the intermediate point.

Most programs permit one-way redemptions for half the cost of a round trip, so you could conceivably use one program's miles for the outbound, and a different program's miles for the return.

I found this outbound itinerary for four people with an overnight stopover in LAX using AA miles (which you do not have), but if you were to redeem for each of the flights separately using BA Avios, it should cost just 104,000 Avios (or 84,000 Amex MR points with the current bonus). If you were to redeem for both flights together, BA would charge more, as BA's multi-carrier redemption chart would apply, since the first flight (EWR-LAX) is on AS, and the second flight (LAX-HNL) is on AA.

I did not check return flights. Generally, if you find "MileSAAver" award seats on aa.com, they should be available with BA Avios. Any AS award flight displayed on aa.com should be a MileSAAver; AA award flights might or might not be.

If you have not already done so, I would open a BA Executive Club (frequent-flyer) account at ba.com so that you can verify award availability with Avios before you transfer any of your MR points there.

And welcome to FlyerTalk!
philemer likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You or your spouse might also consider getting an AA AAdvantage frequent-flyer account and applying for a Citi or Barclays AA credit card if you decide to travel on AA. There is currently a 60,000-mile sign-up bonus available on both; and if one holds either card, you would get free checked baggage on AA flights, as long as the cardholder's AAdvantage account number were listed in the reservation record.

If you plan on transferring Amex MR points to BA for redemption on AA flights, it would probably be best for your spouse to get the AA card. It will be easier to add your spouse's AAdvantage number to a booking made with BA Avios than to add your AAdvantage number to such a booking.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I actually do hold low-level status on AA (Gold), and my wife and I already have a AAdvantage Citi card in addition to our AMEX Plat.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKtraveler
Thanks for the advice! I actually do hold low-level status on AA (Gold), and my wife and I already have a AAdvantage Citi card in addition to our AMEX Plat.
OK. Your AAdvantage Gold status would get you the free checked baggage and free MCE seats (if available) at T-24, if your AAdvantage number were in your reservation record.

A quick look suggests that it will be difficult to find low-cost award flights from Hawaii to the Northeast over Easter weekend. Lower-cost award seats seem to open up around Tuesday, April 11.
CKtraveler likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
That’s a tall order. You’re traveling at a time when HI flights are in high demand (spring break), with four people, and you need award space that’s bookable through partner programs unless you’re flying DL or HA (the only MR transfer partners who can get you here on their own metal). I’d suggest playing around with the calendar search feature on AS’s website, looking for availability at 20k OW. That should show you any AS or AA space that would be bookable with Avios. DL and HA you can search on their own sites (HA out of JFK) but I suspect prices will be ugly. Use Aeroplan to search for UA availability. Also consider cash if you can get some but not all of the seats/segments you need.

Are you trying to get somewhere specific in HI or will any island do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.