Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Just paid $4.97 a gallon at the Sam’s Club in Pearl City; it’s about $0.40 - 0.50 cents cheaper than retail.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Interesting to see the HI prices lower than the IL prices. Is it possible to pay for gas at that Sam’s Club using Walmart gift cards?

Prices can be checked on the AAA app and the GasBuddy. Are the AAA app noted prices more accurate/timely than Gas Buddy ones?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I live on Maui and never really even look around since Costco has always been cheapest. Interesting about Safeway and I'll start watching. Costco is definitely cheaper than the "Mom & Pop" stations down in Kihei. One interesting thing is Costco Maui has always been +/- $.50 higher than in Oregon but with this latest craziness it's pretty much the same or even higher in Oregon. I paid $4.99 last Monday at Maui Costco and $5.39 yesterday in Oregon. I think there might have been an overall spike so there might not be that much of a difference but it's pretty funny it's the same.

A bit off-track here but I was scared when moving the Maui about the cost of everything and honestly it's not that bad. Things are generally a bit more but it's like 10%... not the 80% that everyone makes it sound like. Of course, that excludes housing. That is 80% higher (or more!).
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mtofell

A bit off-track here but I was scared when moving the Maui about the cost of everything and honestly it's not that bad. Things are generally a bit more but it's like 10%... not the 80% that everyone makes it sound like. Of course, that excludes housing. That is 80% higher (or more!).
I find many foods to be double what the cost is on the U.S. East Coast. Milk and bread especially...with each costing about 1.5x a gallon of gas.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is it possible to pay for gas at that Sam’s Club using Walmart gift cards?
I refueled my rental car at Sam's this morning before heading to the airport; I didn't see Walmart gift cards as an accepted option on the sticker that was on the pump.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 7:49 pm

Just got back on Maui yesterday and paid 5.09 at Costco. A few days before leaving Oregon I paid 5.39 at Costco.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
$5.15 today on oahu, back in San Francisco it's $5.99 - hilarious how it's cheaper on an island in the middle of the pacific ocean. We have a Tesla in CA and I'm thinking about getting a nissan leaf or a chevy bolt and leaving it at my place here in HI.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
$6.10 for premium on Oahu.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richiezc
$5.15 today on oahu, back in San Francisco it's $5.99 - hilarious how it's cheaper on an island in the middle of the pacific ocean. We have a Tesla in CA and I'm thinking about getting a nissan leaf or a chevy bolt and leaving it at my place here in HI.
Hopefully you have self-sufficient solar with any plug-in Oahu. Oahu is shutting down their remaining coal power plant this year to make deadlines set by the state; unfortunately, greener projects are delayed and won't be online in time to make up for demand. As such HECO is getting ready to ramp up oil burning power plants which cost 4x+ more to operate than coal and expect to pass those costs onto consumers. So if you don't have solar, the calculus on saving gas money with an electric car go out the window in Hawaii due to the even more expensive electric rates.

I have a Tesla and a personal solar system that produces far more than the house and car consume, so I'm in a sweetspot where I'm immune to high gas and electric rates. But most people aren't as lucky especially those on Oahu.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by richiezc
where in Sf did you pay $5.99? I’ve posted on the Omni gas thread that it’s $6.39 at generic and recently $6.69 at certain cvx shel
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Hopefully you have self-sufficient solar with any plug-in Oahu. Oahu is shutting down their remaining coal power plant this year to make deadlines set by the state; unfortunately, greener projects are delayed and won't be online in time to make up for demand. As such HECO is getting ready to ramp up oil burning power plants which cost 4x+ more to operate than coal and expect to pass those costs onto consumers. So if you don't have solar, the calculus on saving gas money with an electric car go out the window in Hawaii due to the even more expensive electric rates.

I have a Tesla and a personal solar system that produces far more than the house and car consume, so I'm in a sweetspot where I'm immune to high gas and electric rates. But most people aren't as lucky especially those on Oahu.
Is this only impacting Oahu or do the other islands get their power from the same place? Mainly, wondering about Maui. My solar panels cover about half of the electric usage so I still have a decent-sized electric bill.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtofell
Is this only impacting Oahu or do the other islands get their power from the same place? Mainly, wondering about Maui. My solar panels cover about half of the electric usage so I still have a decent-sized electric bill.
Islands each have their own grid...and different mix of sources of energy. Oahu is most impacted by the coal ban. Big Island has the highest percentage of renewal, with much of that being geothermal for now.
mtofell likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
where in Sf did you pay $5.99? I’ve posted on the Omni gas thread that it’s $6.39 at generic and recently $6.69 at certain cvx shel
was actually referencing the costco in colma/daily city, the costco app says is $5.76 today. I mainly drive an EV now but there's that off brand gas station right off 101/cesar chavez that always seemed to be the lowest.

Hopefully you have self-sufficient solar with any plug-in Oahu.
sadly no solar, but you know its almost certainly still going to be cheaper than electricity in San Francisco
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Costco is still cheaper here on the BI
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:50 pm

Islands each have their own grid...and different mix of sources of energy. Oahu is most impacted by the coal ban. Big Island has the highest percentage of renewal, with much of that being geothermal for now.
interesting they are supposedly replacing a coal plant with a Tesla Megapack:
https://electrek.co/2022/06/27/tesla...ng-coal-plant/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.