Wiki Posts
Search

Commuter Airline Inter-Island Flying Experience

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Commuter Airline Inter-Island Flying Experience

First for me today flying inter-island on a commuter airline and I have to say I'm sold. Southern Airways Express/Mokulele Airlines (same thing apparently) was the airline and they were great but I'm really sold on the overall experience and highly recommend it. No security check-in, super quick boarding/de-boarding, park literally 50 feet from the check-in desk and a REALLY fun flight in a small plane. I've heard a lot of people don't like the small planes (my wife for one - I was solo today) but I love it.

The saved time is the real appeal to me. I pulled into the airport on Lanai today and was in my driveway in Maui an hour later. It can take an hour to get from my house in Kihei to the Lahaina Ferry port. Let alone the seasick trip that takes 45 more minutes. Maybe I've been living under a rock since I really wasn't even aware such a thing existed.

COSPILOT and hawaii-bound like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mtofell
I pulled into the airport on Lanai today and was in my driveway in Maui an hour later. It can take an hour to get from my house in Kihei to the Lahaina Ferry port. Let alone the seasick trip that takes 45 more minutes. Maybe I've been living under a rock since I really wasn't even aware such a thing existed.
Did service ever get restored to Kapalua, or just Kahului?
Old May 25, 2022, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
Did service ever get restored to Kapalua, or just Kahului?
Yeah, it looks like they go to/from Honolulu. I actually missed that when I looked at the map yesterday. I looked down and got a good view of the airstrip as we were flying over but didn't realize it was one of their stops. Certainly, a nice alternative to the drive all the way to Kahului which can be so long and unpredictable with the traffic. Also, lots more flight options into HON. Of course, you'd miss out on the obligatory airport Costco experience landing at OGG!

I live down in Kihei so OGG is just fine but having the option to fly out of Lahaina area is pretty sweet if you're staying up there.

Old May 25, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
We fly out of Waimea (MUE) on the Big Island non-stop to OGG. Low key and great staff. Mokulele is our inter-island airline of choice.
mtofell likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
We fly out of Waimea (MUE) on the Big Island
When I was sitting at OGG waiting to depart to Lanai they called a flight to Waimea but I thought they said Wailea (which is about a 25 minute drive from OGG). I thought.... Wow! I can fly from Wailea? That's even better than OGG... which is already great... LOL. At the same time I thought I should inform the people boarding that an Uber would only be half as much as the flight
hawaii-bound likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I’ve been flying Lanai Air HNL-LNY and love it. My wife and I frequently are the only passengers on their Pilatus-12 aircraft. Great experience.
mtofell and ExpatExp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.