Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with large dogs to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Traveling with large dogs to Hawaii

I know this is potentially a rapidly changing topic given all the issue travel issues - and it appears the UA PetSafe program is still suspended. But does anyone know about if UA is allowing large dogs to be transported as cargo - especially from the mainland to Hawaii?

I reached out to 1kVoice and they told me that PetSafe was still suspended but then referred me to the PetSafe site..... ugh

I have tried looking around the UA cargo site.....

-michael

(and this is not just so I can vacation with Fido - I might be moving there.....)
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
just FYI as i am sure you’re aware of the Hawaii rules for quarantining your dog for 90 days unless you do the 5 or less day quarantine which has some rabies/chip/blood test and lab verification work involved.
ajf87 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Rumples,
Yes - I have been researching this a lot and been in touch with some very helpful people. The hardest aspect is to get information on right now is the actual transport. I was able to previously travel with him (my dog) in cabin, but I know that is no longer an option. I have not explored other airlines as UA has a very strong presence here in CLE...... I know there are also "services" that do this and some friends say "oh, just charter a private plane" (sure, no problem....let me crack out my winning lottery ticket)

-michael
Rumples likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by mfirst
Rumples,
Yes - I have been researching this a lot and been in touch with some very helpful people. The hardest aspect is to get information on right now is the actual transport. I was able to previously travel with him (my dog) in cabin, but I know that is no longer an option. I have not explored other airlines as UA has a very strong presence here in CLE...... I know there are also "services" that do this and some friends say "oh, just charter a private plane" (sure, no problem....let me crack out my winning lottery ticket)

-michael
I had a work colleague/friend who moved to Arizona last year from Honolulu with a large dog and advised that the only carrier that would allow transport of his dog (as checked in the belly) was AA and only on widebodies. At the time, there was no widebody service to/from PHX, so they had to fly into DFW and backtrack in a car. Not sure if things have changed since.
FlytheTail likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:38 am
Original Poster

.... those are the details that I am trying to sort out.... I think AA has some reasonable flights out of CLE - but not sure if wide bodies.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Hawaiian Air will take crates. If you’re shipping a car to Hawaii, I would just drive to West Coast and fly from there. JFK- HNL is just too long of a flight for a dog in a kennel. Not saying it can’t be done, but it borders on cruelty IMHO.

There’s a pet boarding place adjacent to LAX (I’m guessing it’s still there) while you take car down to Long Beach (Matson) to be shipped. If there’s 2 people traveling, the logistics can be worked out.

1) arrive LAX area, drop dogs at kennel
2) rent cargo van
3) cargo van and car go to LB, drop car at Matson
4) cargo van to pick up crates (we got ours at Signal Hill Petco)
5) drive back to LAX, spend night at hotel
6) pick up dogs, drop at HA
7) return van, shuttle back to airport

Edil: LAX Kennel Club still there. truck/van rental place isn’t, but I’m sure one can be found nearby LAX.
denver19 likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 8, 2022 at 10:50 am
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:47 am
Original Poster

IAH-OIL-TRASH (or is it Oil or Trash for short?)
thank you - that might be a more reasonable option, especially if I need to get my Jeep to the island also - he (my dog) loves to ride in the Jeep... although CLE-LAX is a LONG drive.....

I think, if I follow your logic/process - I can skip the cargo van and drop him off at HA and then bring my Jeep down to Matson?
... I have some friends in LA who might be able to help with some of those logistics.....

agree JFK (or CLE) to OGG might be too long in cargo... I really wish there was an in-cabin option

-m
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAH-OIL-TRASH (or is it Oil or Trash for short?)
thank you - that might be a more reasonable option, especially if I need to get my Jeep to the island also - he (my dog) loves to ride in the Jeep... although CLE-LAX is a LONG drive.....

I think, if I follow your logic/process - I can skip the cargo van and drop him off at HA and then bring my Jeep down to Matson?
... I have some friends in LA who might be able to help with some of those logistics.....

agree JFK (or CLE) to OGG might be too long in cargo... I really wish there was an in-cabin option

-m
You have to figure out logistics of check in and drop-off hours at Matson. Driving to/from Long Beach and check in at Matson is not a quick thing. Probably 3 hours, if not more should be allocated. HA may not hold crates that long before flight. Check w/ HA first regarding crates from LAX. I hope I’m not wrong.

I just sent text to a friend of mine who’s a HA FO on A330s to see if they take crates.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I don’t know anything about this company, but you may want to look at it.

https://dogtravelcompany.net/Hawaii.html
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:08 am
Original Poster

3 hours? yikes - so that probably means about 5 miles down the road (since it is LA)?
fortunately, and while I have not confirmed anything in writing yet, I am just trying to figure out a basic plan and to see what is 'reasonable' if this move does happen.... and who knows what the world will look like when the time comes.

I assume (and would probably want to be anyhow) that I would need to travel with my dog on the same HA flight (good thing that HA and UA are partners) - and maybe I can get a friend in LA to help....

just not looking forward to the CLE-LAX drive, even though I have some friends along the way - it is a long drive in a Jeep and if you have driven in Jeeps on the highway, you know what I mean.... heck, it might just be easier to sell the Jeep and buy something new when I get to the Islands....
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Response from HA FO:

Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I know this is potentially a rapidly changing topic given all the issue travel issues - and it appears the UA PetSafe program is still suspended. But does anyone know about if UA is allowing large dogs to be transported as cargo - especially from the mainland to Hawaii?

I reached out to 1kVoice and they told me that PetSafe was still suspended but then referred me to the PetSafe site..... ugh

-michael

(and this is not just so I can vacation with Fido - I might be moving there.....)
This site seems very useful
https://www.dogsonplanes.com/
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I brought my 65 LB dog from Mexico (PVR) to HNL via PDX on Alaska Airlines last year. We overnighted in PDX. They did a fantastic job and take it seriously. The FAs always come by after boarding is complete with a little note confirming your pooch is onboard. I'd highly recommend driving to the nearest Alaska outpost(ORD?). They were doing instant release at the airport back then if you had all your paperwork in order, though not sure if protocols have changed. Happy to share any details via PM.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..just not looking forward to the CLE-LAX drive, even though I have some friends along the way - it is a long drive in a Jeep and if you have driven in Jeeps on the highway, you know what I mean.... heck, it might just be easier to sell the Jeep and buy something new when I get to the Islands....
We drove from Houston to LA, stopping in Van Horn and Phoenix. The dogs didn’t mind the drive. As for buying a car in Hawaii, it is usually far more expensive than on mainland - new or used. There’s a lot of benefit in bringing own vehicle if it’s in good condition and has a few more years on it.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold

-michael

I’ve moved internationally (across oceans) with a dog. My recommendation is that you detach yourselves from the idea of flying on the same plane as your dog.

I hired petrelocation.com to manage the move twice, still had hiccups but we got through it. I would hire them again.

If moving for work I would recommend negotiating this as part of any relo package.

PM me if you want anymore specifics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.