Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

"Required" to Fill Out Both Sides of Ag. Form?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

I've flown to Hawaii 50+ times and each time I fill out the front of the agriculture form that is required and ignore that back that clearly says "optional". On tonight's flight (AS870) the FAs came on the loudspeaker saying that we MUST fill out both sides. Huh? Is this something new? The form is the same and says "optional" on the back.

For those of you that might not know, the front of the form is so you can declare (and presumably be sent directly to prison for) any agriculture, live animals, flowers, etc. that you have in your possession. The back is just tourist info about how many times you've been to the island.

Obviously, this is a first-world problem but I'm sitting on a 5.5 hour flight (thankfully with glorious wifi) and am curious if anyone else has noticed this change? Or, do I just have a bunch of PITA, power-hungry FAs?
denver19 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mtofell
I've flown to Hawaii 50+ times and each time I fill out the front of the agriculture form that is required and ignore that back that clearly says "optional". On tonight's flight (AS870) the FAs came on the loudspeaker saying that we MUST fill out both sides. Huh? Is this something new? The form is the same and says "optional" on the back.

For those of you that might not know, the front of the form is so you can declare (and presumably be sent directly to prison for) any agriculture, live animals, flowers, etc. that you have in your possession. The back is just tourist info about how many times you've been to the island.

Obviously, this is a first-world problem but I'm sitting on a 5.5 hour flight (thankfully with glorious wifi) and am curious if anyone else has noticed this change? Or, do I just have a bunch of PITA, power-hungry FAs?
The latter.

David
LIH Prem, DenverBrian and econ like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
am curious if anyone else has noticed this change?
Have been out to HI a few times over the past several months (although not on AS) and have never heard anything like this.

In fact, I recall on one flight the FA specifically stated that filling out the back of the form was optional, presumably so they could get the forms back quicker.
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I haven't filled out either side of the form for at least three decades.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Definitely PITA employees
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:21 pm

In fairness, they could just be utterly clueless and misinformed.

The most interesting thing to me about the Hawaii agricultural declaration is that the ostensible reason for it is to protect the delicate island ecosystem from havoc as a result of the introduction of foreign invasive species of flora or fauna.

But on the inbound journey, it's just a declaration that relies on the declarer's honesty., assuming it's even completed You could have suitcases full of seeds, snakes and other nasty invasive organisms and there's no real prevention. On the other hand, when you LEAVE Hawaii, your checked baggage is scanned electronically for living organisms and agricultural material. Go figure.
denver19 and 747FC like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Night Flyer
In fairness, they could just be utterly clueless and misinformed.

The most interesting thing to me about the Hawaii agricultural declaration is that the ostensible reason for it is to protect the delicate island ecosystem from havoc as a result of the introduction of foreign invasive species of flora or fauna.

But on the inbound journey, it's just a declaration that relies on the declarer's honesty., assuming it's even completed You could have suitcases full of seeds, snakes and other nasty invasive organisms and there's no real prevention. On the other hand, when you LEAVE Hawaii, your checked baggage is scanned electronically for living organisms and agricultural material. Go figure.
Great points and I am now really wondering - why do we have to have our bags scanned for agriculture when LEAVING Hawaii? Is the mainland worried that we'll bring in something from the island? It seems the delicate island would be far more exposed with things being brought in than leaving.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Great points and I am now really wondering - why do we have to have our bags scanned for agriculture when LEAVING Hawaii? Is the mainland worried that we'll bring in something from the island? It seems the delicate island would be far more exposed with things being brought in than leaving.
The ag situation goes both ways, as Hawaii is so different, in terms of pests, than the mainland. I saw an article a year or so ago, about something that came from Hawaii to the mainland before they started the screening.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Pests are pests - both flora and fauna. Some places, they're in check. Other places, their population would explode.

David
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:16 am

We just ignored it. It's only if you're bringing in agricultural stuff, right? We weren't traveling with any plants or exotic fruits.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:37 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
All passengers are required to complete the front portion of the form, which is for the Hawaii Department of Agriculture. This includes passengers with no items to declare.

The back portion of the form is for the Hawaii Visitors Bureau and it is optional.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by 747FC
I haven't filled out either side of the form for at least three decades.
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
All passengers are required to complete the front portion of the form, which is for the Hawaii Department of Agriculture. This includes passengers with no items to declare.

The back portion of the form is for the Hawaii Visitors Bureau and it is optional.
Then how do people get by without filling in either side? Unless 747FC is yanking our tendrils.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
If you do not complete the form or attest that you are not bringing in prohibited items and are then found to have done so, it will likely not go well. There used be a group of really cute beagles at baggage claim trained to sniff bags for prohibited items.

Here's a copy of the form in question; it's pretty clear IMO.

https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.o...t-printing.pdf
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:28 pm

While I certainly haven't been to HI as often 747FC, during my first trip I didn't see anyone around me filling out the form. And, you know what? If no one else is bothering with it, I'm sure as heck not going to. Period. Full Stop.
denver19 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by philemer
Then how do people get by without filling in either side? Unless 747FC is yanking our tendrils.
No Yanking of tendrils or any other appendage. Only once in all my travels have I encountered a FA who seemed to make it a mission to have passengers fill out the form. He came down the aisle like he was auditioning for a Broadway play. Uggh.

I should be clear that I think it important that all travelers to Hawaii know the rules so that invasive species don't land on our shores. To that end, completing the form helps ensure that the unwary traveler complies with conditions of entry.
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.