Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'll be interested to see what responses you get. I was doing some initial research for a family member in order to develop a budget for a trip. They would be traveling with two small children. I was shocked when I saw similar prices to you.
Yeah, I'm also helping a family member plan a "class reunion trip" to Hawaii. I've cautioned her that it would be extremely expensive for them to stay at a resort in Maui and that perhaps they want to go to another island. I can help people who have hotel loyalty points visit Maui, but I can't do much for folks who don't. Unless, perhaps, they're willing to camp!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by iahphx
I think I've flown to Hawaii at least 20 times in my life. I'm fond of the islands, and try to visit at least every other year (often annually). Over time, my "favorite" Hawaiian destinations have changed. For the last decade or so, I've been a regular in Kapoho on the Big Island where I could rent an awesome old-Hawaiian style villa with a private thermal-heated lagoon for about $1000/week. That property, as well as much of the surrounding area, is now under lava, so I need to head elsewhere.
When demand doesn't change, but supply decreases price goes up.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
When demand doesn't change, but supply decreases price goes up.
Well, the number of Puna travellers who are now heading to Maui is undoubtedly small, but you may be correct that some travellers have been scared away from Kona by the volcano and are now booking into Maui resorts. Of course, the volcano is no longer erupting, and logic would suggest that the nose-bleed prices on Maui are likely to reverse that trend.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Condos are the way to go

This site https://www.westmauicondos.com/prope...3A%22%22%7D%7D has rentals at a number of nice resorts on Maui for <$300 a night. Some are higher of course. The one in the link is Papakea. We've stayed there and like it. It's Ocean Front property with a variety of "view" options. So, no, you don't need to pay $800 a night. These are 1 and 2 BR condos with kitchens. I don't stay in hotels on Maui.
SanDiego1K and muji like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
The one in the link is Papakea. We've stayed there and like it. It's Ocean Front property with a variety of "view" options. So, no, you don't need to pay $800 a night. These are 1 and 2 BR condos with kitchens. I don't stay in hotels on Maui.
While not my ideal vacation, that type of property does look like a WAY better deal than a Maui resort hotel. It doesn't look like a compelling reason to CHOOSE Maui for a vacation, but if you're headed there, and need a place to stay, it beats most of the alternatives.

BTW, this is one of the properties I used to rent on the Big Island for much less than that. Just check out the private lagoon. But it's now under lava. Maui property rentals seem to be 2x for half as much house/apartment.

https://www.vaycayhero.com/Pahoa-vacation-rentals/55072

Last edited by iahphx; Sep 17, 2018 at 8:40 pm Reason: more
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
I don't think you should expect to pay nearly that much. Hawaii is expensive and always will be, but not $800/night expensive unless you're at the Four Seasons or Fairmont.

Anecdotal but we stayed at Hotel Wailea in summer of 2017 for about $450/night. It was a 15th anniversary trip and a known splurge, but we could have gotten much less expensive lodging without even trying very hard.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
While it's true that the economy has been booming for a few years, and tourism is surging as a result, I think what the OP is seeing is more their own fault than anyone else's. Maui has never been "cheap", but the affordable mass-market hotels are in Ka'anipali. Since the OP doesn't like that area, and also doesn't like Wailea (which is pricey but not "base rooms are $800 a night most of the year" pricey), his options are EXTREMELY limited. So it's no surprise that given those constraints, lodging prices are high.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
While it's true that the economy has been booming for a few years, and tourism is surging as a result, I think what the OP is seeing is more their own fault than anyone else's. Maui has never been "cheap", but the affordable mass-market hotels are in Ka'anipali. Since the OP doesn't like that area, and also doesn't like Wailea (which is pricey but not "base rooms are $800 a night most of the year" pricey), his options are EXTREMELY limited. So it's no surprise that given those constraints, lodging prices are high.
Go pull up some rates for Maui hotels in January. They ARE $800/night when you include taxes and resort fees. Unless you're willing to stay at the Residence Inn. That's $500. There are some off peak days where you might get away with $600. Maybe.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Many available at <$500/night

Originally Posted by iahphx
Go pull up some rates for Maui hotels in January. They ARE $800/night when you include taxes and resort fees. Unless you're willing to stay at the Residence Inn. That's $500. There are some off peak days where you might get away with $600. Maybe.
When you look only 3-4 months in advance of whale season that's not surprising. If you started looking 8-9 months ago rates would have been lower. No surprise. FTers plan WAY in advance, don't we?

Just looked up rates on hotels.com for Jan. 13>14 and there are awesome properties available for <$500. See https://www.hotels.com/search.do?res...rt-order=PRICE Honua Kai Resort & Spa is a prime example. OF and < $500/night, all in.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 18, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:37 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
So maybe my perspective is relevant-I grew up on Maui (lived there from 1967-2004). How much do I spend on hotels?

If I need a cheap roadside place to stay, I plan on spending about $200. For a city hotel for a transportation connection or business, $300-$400. For a vacation, I plan on spending $600-$800 per night.

One time when I was living on Maui, I got a hotel room in Wailea for a post-chemotherapy celebration. In 2002, I paid about $800 a night for the Fairmont.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:29 pm

There's plenty of places where you can stay for less than $800 a night and have a fantastic time.

I'm paying $3000 for 7 nights for a oceanfront room, daily breakfast included plus car rental week before Christmas.

Right on Kanaapali.
But I'm certainly not expecting the Four Seasons for that price.

And also....Kapoho isn't Maui. I'd be very dissapointed too if I was looking for the same holiday on Kaanapali or Wailea than I had in Kapoho. And I would be dissapointed if I was looking for a Maui vacation in Kapoho.

Perhaps you should adjust your expectations or rethink what kind of vacation you want.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
As crowded as Maui gets, it’ll never be as intensely dense and busy like where we live and it has all we want so we keep returning annually as long as possible. I enjoy the known entities. I have heard that it’s easy to find affordable lodging away from the resorts. In Maui I only stay in kaanapali and Wailea areas. Anyway I hope you have a lovely time there and if it’s really bad, then next vacation you’ll enjoy a different island :-)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:25 pm

No, no it's not if you know how to manage it. I may be biased, I live on Maui, but I'm a market manager for a large hospitality company and am sent to Hawaii, Oahu, and Kauai frequently for work. Each island has their charms and benefits. Maui, IMO, is the best of them all. Not too big, not too small, and the best beaches of them all. It's not really anymore expensive than the others if you shop in the right places, etc. I love the other islands, don't get me wrong, but Maui really is No Ka Oi and offers the best bang for your buck if you want to experience all of Hawaii on a single island.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I'm heading to Maui for the second time in January, and compared to my last trip (2015), it feels like prices have increased by a noticeable amount. Obviously I'm affected by the CAD's decline relative to the USD, but even without that it feels like sticker prices for accommodations have increased over the last few years.

Maui is an exceptionally wonderful place and I suppose therein lies the problem. I do love Maui but I suspect that it may be at least a few years before we go back. (That said, we've been to the FLL area for our last couple of winter vacations and that wasn't particularly cheap either. I suppose there are just an awful lot of people looking for sun destinations by the water in the US.)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I suppose there are just an awful lot of people looking for sun destinations by the water in the US.)
Funny how that "Supply and Demand" stuff works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.