Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:39 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by iahphx
It's interesting that so much of Hawaii's agricultural land now lies fallow. This, of course, was the root cause of last year's devastating Lahaina fire. With both a housing and food shortage in Hawaii (90% of food is "imported"), you would think that something would be done with the land. That's kind of what happens everywhere else in the world. But it seems like Hawaii's economy and politics are so dysfunctional that the land just remains abandoned.
Keeping Hawai’i land in large-scale agriculture was doomed due to lower production costs in foreign lands. Union wage ag jobs in Hawai’i doomed the pineapple and sugar industries, just like the higher minimum wage scale is wreaking havoc for today’s restauranteurs and their employees. Government allows the sale of ag lands for commercial and residentiala development , allowing a much higher ROI than trying to compete with foreign ag.

Last edited by 747FC; Mar 21, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know what the story is with all of the citrus on Maui on the way up to Pukalani?

There are hundreds of acres that have been planted in the last few years there - far more than the island could possibly use, no? Maybe Oahu can use it all?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:38 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by josephstern
Anyone know what the story is with all of the citrus on Maui on the way up to Pukalani?

There are hundreds of acres that have been planted in the last few years there - far more than the island could possibly use, no? Maybe Oahu can use it all?

Mahi Pono?

Most likely this California-Canadian based company.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Mahi Pono?

Most likely this California-Canadian based company.
Good read. Seems like a start. But only 300 jobs. But they are largely non-tourism related.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by 747FC
You nailed it, and as a Hawaii resident, it is sad.

I was just in a top hotel (#2 in the world according to one rater) in Hong Kong, staying in a huge suite with butler service and lounge access. The price was less than a bungalow with no lounge at the Turtle Bay resort.
I moved to Oahu last August. Every word was true. I'm doing a small remodel/refresh of the house we bought and the labor prices are outrageous. Everyone who comes here says they make a good living but it's still tough. The home & houseless problem is very big. There are those with jobs sleeping on the streets. People are renting out their spare rooms for over $1000 a month, and many are around $1200. Homes in very bad condition are going for over $1.5 million in a decent neighborhood. The flippers are buying them up, remodeling as cheaply as they possibly can, often to the detriment of the actual infrastructure, and are making a fortune.

But the tourists still keep coming. They are spending less and getting food items from Walmart & Target and eating in their rooms. Some are targeting hotels that offer breakfast or lounge access. Parking in Waikiki is over $50 a night.

Something has got to give.
HaleiwaFlyer and mtofell like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Once Maui dropped sugar and pineapple because the land was worth more I don’t see what they can do. It’s nobody’s fault but I can’t see what they can bring in outside of tourism.
Maui never dropped pineapple production. Not sure what you meant there. Maui Land & Pineapple Company is still around and so is the Maui Gold brand of pineapples. They are even sold at your favorite warehouse store. IMO, they are usually better than the Dole pineapples they fly in from Oahu, though recently the Dole ones we bought when they were out of the Maui Gold ones have improved.

Sugar was a money losing proposition even with the government subsidies. Not to mention the problems caused by the burns. Yes, they lost some union jobs when they exited the sugar cane business. Sugar cane was a part of the islands history, but it wasn't sustainable, so with a little prodding, A&B decided to end that chapter of Maui plantation history. They sold a lot of that land to Mahi Pono.

-David
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 22, 2024 at 10:20 pm
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Maui never dropped pineapple production. Not sure what you meant there. Maui Land & Pineapple Company is still around and so is the Maui Gold brand of pineapples. They are even sold at your favorite warehouse store. IMO, they are usually better than the Dole pineapples they fly in from Oahu, though recently the Dole ones we bought when they were out of the Maui Gold ones have improved.
If I recall correctly, Dole's Wahiawa fields always tested as the lowest acid and highest sugar content. Unfortunately, Dole decided to sell those fields to housing developers a couple of decades ago. I know Dole used to do the fruit quality testing for Del Monte but I don't recall if they ever did it for Maui Land & Pineapple. I remember my boss looking at a Del Monte test report once saying, "I wouldn't even use this for juice."
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Keeping Hawai’i land in large-scale agriculture was doomed due to lower production costs in foreign lands. Union wage ag jobs in Hawai’i doomed the pineapple and sugar industries, just like the higher minimum wage scale is wreaking havoc for today’s restauranteurs and their employees. Government allows the sale of ag lands for commercial and residentiala development , allowing a much higher ROI than trying to compete with foreign ag.
I'd like to see a study of how much the labour component is due to union wages in Hawaii, vs. lack of abundant migrant labour that certain of the continental states enjoy.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'd like to see a study of how much the labour component is due to union wages in Hawaii, vs. lack of abundant migrant labour that certain of the continental states enjoy.
Are migrant workers on the Mainland paid union scale and get the suite of benefits mandated in Hawaii for full-time workers? I kind of doubt it.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are migrant workers on the Mainland paid union scale and get the suite of benefits mandated in Hawaii for full-time workers? I kind of doubt it.
More availability which may drive down wages. Labour situation/cost in Hawaii is akin to the situation in Canada where there's no migrant worker availability as in the continental U.S. Workers are usually "guest" workers and wage rates are just about as high as Hawaii (which is reportedly USD 14/hr this year), and does not include mandated transportation (to/from Canada, and to/from work site), + housing (albeit the employer can deduct C$30/wk for this), and health and workplace/occupation insurance.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More availability which may drive down wages. Labour situation/cost in Hawaii is akin to the situation in Canada where there's no migrant worker availability as in the continental U.S. Workers are usually "guest" workers and wage rates are just about as high as Hawaii (which is reportedly USD 14/hr this year), and does not include mandated transportation (to/from Canada, and to/from work site), + housing (albeit the employer can deduct C$30/wk for this), and health and workplace/occupation insurance.
I think the somewhat unique problem in Hawaii is that there is literally no place for migrant workers to live. Heck, the locals have no place to live. We are seeing this now in Hawaii with the people displaced by the Lahaina fire are losing their free accommodations in the hotels. Not sure how that will all play out. Some locals are chanting "No Housing No Peace."
https://mauinow.com/2024/03/30/lahai...ing-inventory/
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
I think the somewhat unique problem in Hawaii is that there is literally no place for migrant workers to live. Heck, the locals have no place to live. We are seeing this now in Hawaii with the people displaced by the Lahaina fire are losing their free accommodations in the hotels. Not sure how that will all play out. Some locals are chanting "No Housing No Peace."
https://mauinow.com/2024/03/30/lahai...ing-inventory/
Yeah, I see somewhere that even if the agcos wanted to pay the legislated wages, they still won't be able to find enough workers. Unaffordable housing and less-than-desirable working conditions have rendered a lot of business sectors (including hospitaility) in a hole as far as finding sufficient labour goes.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:28 pm

Yeah, I see somewhere that even if the agcos wanted to pay the legislated wages, they still won't be able to find enough workers. Unaffordable housing and less-than-desirable working conditions have rendered a lot of business sectors (including hospitaility) in a hole as far as finding sufficient labour goes.
Not wanting to turn Omni here, but Hawaii’s labor market changed for the worse during Covid when lots of free money was distributed.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not wanting to turn Omni here, but Hawaii’s labor market changed for the worse during Covid when lots of free money was distributed.
Everyone stayed home, or got the funds/means to go somewhere else for better wages and/or lower cost of living? Someone upthread mentioned lots of family have gone to the continent.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA
The idea/bucket list dream of Hawaii as an accessible paradise with sun, fragrant breezes, the scent of flowers, friendly and very attractive Hawaiian hospitality workers, and finally a bit of well deserved luxury...a bit tarnished by walking through hordes of middle class families gnawing takeout on the beach or worse yet, YOU gnawing takeout on your lanai drinking canned cocktails from ABC while other younger and richer tourists sit drinking Pina Coladas and feeding their 2 kids chicken fingers at House Without A Key or the Moana courtyard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.