Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

COVID Testing Sites in Hawaii (for Outbound/Return International Travel)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
A list of testing sites in Hawaii is available at the following website: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ing-locations/

Tests may also be available from select Long’s (CVS) and Walgreens locations.

Older thread with related information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2036712-best-honolulu-testing-sites-72-hour-turnaround.html

Many FTers report that Walgreens seems to be a good place to test in Honolulu, although there are no Rapid ID Now locations currently available on Oahu, you can schedule a PCR test on their website. According to recent posts (as of May 31, 2021), the tests are sent to a lab in California and most people report getting results in 24 - 48 hours. The testing is usually free at Walgreens. You'll need an appointment:

Originally Posted by Finkface
The window for booking [ at Walgreens ] three days in advance opens right at midnight HST. I have used it a few times in the past couple of weeks and it is always at midnight.
There's a lot of other labs you can use, none are free, including the lab run by the Kidney Foundation at the airport, which offers a rapid PCR test. There's also Clinical Labs of Hawaii with multiple locations and their own lab in Honolulu. And many other options.

Print Wikipost

COVID Testing Sites in Hawaii (for Outbound/Return International Travel)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Best Honolulu Testing Sites for 72-hour Turnaround?

Aloha,

We just decided to take our first post-pandemic trip, which will be a neighbor-island flight that departs HNL on an early Monday morning. I'm wondering whether the community has recommendations on a good place to take our tests so we are assured that our results are received and uploaded in a timely basis. We live nearby a DLS location, and Clinical Labs also is nearby. For non-Covid tests, DLS usually emails results the same day. Not sure how it works with the COVID test.

Any experiences/recommendations will be appreciated.

Mahalo!

Last edited by 747FC; Mar 30, 2021 at 1:16 am
Old Mar 27, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
We used the National Kidney Foundation which has two sites - one at the airport and one in Waikiki at the Hawaiian Monarch Hotel Lobby 444 Niu Street Honolulu
They are open 9-5 and we received our results within 4 hours but they cite 8 hours as their expected reporting time. The following provides a pathway to the covid testing.

https://oahucitypass.lumisight.com
Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:41 am
Original Poster

nigos , thanks for sharing your positive experience with this testing site.

Anyone else have a recommendation?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by nigos
We used the National Kidney Foundation which has two sites - one at the airport and one in Waikiki at the Hawaiian Monarch Hotel Lobby 444 Niu Street Honolulu
They are open 9-5 and we received our results within 4 hours but they cite 8 hours as their expected reporting time. The following provides a pathway to the covid testing.

https://oahucitypass.lumisight.com
Thank you for sharing. What is the price for the test? The website does not answer that question unless you create an account. Lord knows, we have way too many "accounts."
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:14 pm

We used Clinical Labs, tested in the morning, so they would be picked up early and taken to the lab. Got the results the next day.

We're on Maui, so they had to be flown to Honolulu. I guess in your case, they just have to be driven to the lab so a lot easier, logistically. We used them because they were reasonably convenient and we already use them for routine stuff.

-David
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dlaue
Thank you for sharing. What is the price for the test? The website does not answer that question unless you create an account. Lord knows, we have way too many "accounts."
It was $125 in December. Not sure if that is still the case.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Comparison Shopping

I called three options today for comparison purposes. The results from these conversations:

DLS

Reported Turnaround Time: 48 hours
Price: $125
https://dlslab.com/physicians/corona...9-information/

Clinical Labs

Reported Turnaround Time: 24-48 hours
Price: $150 (but if you have MD Rx (which insurance will deny), they will charge $125
https://www.clinicallabs.com/appt/domestic/

Kidney Foundation:

Reported Turnaround Time: 8-12 hours
https://kidneyhi.org/covid-19-testing-screening
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I called three options today for comparison purposes. The results from these conversations:

DLS

Reported Turnaround Time: 48 hours
https://dlslab.com/physicians/corona...9-information/

Clinical Labs

Reported Turnaround Time: 24-48 hours
Price: $150 (but if you have MD Rx (which insurance will deny), they will charge $125
https://www.clinicallabs.com/appt/domestic/

Kidney Foundation:

Reported Turnaround Time: 8-12 hours
https://kidneyhi.org/covid-19-testing-screening
Those prices are high! Are any of you submitting those to insurance?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
By the way, took a COVID test for travel with KP Hawaii in Mapunapuna on Monday in the early afternoon and had my results by about 9-10 pm later that evening.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
By the way, took a COVID test for travel with KP Hawaii in Mapunapuna on Monday in the early afternoon and had my results by about 9-10 pm later that evening.
Do you have to be. KP member? Cost?

Mahalo.

EDIT: Per KP website, you have to be a member

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 8, 2021 at 3:17 pm Reason: answered own question
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:30 pm

Would be nice to see some quantity discounts on these tests. Don't mind paying $125 except I'm on the hook for 4 of these. Should be a family plan or something.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The kidney foundation is the best. I don't mind paying for the convenience and quick turnaround.

I *believe* that all US-issued health insurance should be reimbursing covid testing (regardless of the reason for testing) during the pandemic, so cost should not be a factor for most. Some providers, like Walgreens, are not charging customers and I suppose are billing insurers directly for the service.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
The kidney foundation is the best. I don't mind paying for the convenience and quick turnaround.

I *believe* that all US-issued health insurance should be reimbursing covid testing (regardless of the reason for testing) during the pandemic, so cost should not be a factor for most. Some providers, like Walgreens, are not charging customers and I suppose are billing insurers directly for the service.
While it would be nice to get insurance reimbursement for all testing, insurance pays for medically necessary tests, not those which are optional or forced by another party.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by 747FC
Aloha, We just decided to take our first post-pandemic trip, which will be a neighbor-island flight that departs HNL on an early Monday morning. I'm wondering whether the community has recommendations on a good place to take our tests so we are assured that our results are received and uploaded in a timely basis. We live nearby a DLS location, and Clinical Labs also is nearby. For non-Covid tests, DLS usually emails results the same day. Not sure how it works with the COVID test. Any experiences/recommendations will be appreciated. Mahalo!
Is there a state rule about not being permitted to receive test results for inter-island travel on the same day as the test?

I am asking because you can get a Abbott ID-NOW NAAT test with results in 15 minutes any day of the week at Doctors of Waikiki. This is a test type that is approved by the state for transpacific travel, but Doctors of Waikiki say on their website that inter-island test results cannot be provided same day
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Is there a state rule about not being permitted to receive test results for inter-island travel on the same day as the test?

I am asking because you can get a Abbott ID-NOW NAAT test with results in 15 minutes any day of the week at Doctors of Waikiki. This is a test type that is approved by the state for transpacific travel, but Doctors of Waikiki say on their website that inter-island test results cannot be provided same day
Doctors of Waikiki used to be an approved test site. Late last year they dropped out of the Safe Travels program, but continued to test for the State of Hawaii. I received a test there as a "volunteer" random followup of arriving passengers.

I'll check in the next few days to see if they have re-joined the Safe Travels program.
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.