Wiki Posts
Search

New Mauka Concourse at HNL opening 8/27

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
New Mauka Concourse at HNL opening 8/27

The new Mauka Concourse is set to open today!

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/270...t-hnl-airport/
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Have an early morning flight so walked over. To my surprise the doors opened for me and I had a good fifteen minutes just walking around as the only person in the entire terminal. Maybe it was the last-man-on-earth feeling but the Mauka terminal felt very sterile. As if you’re in a terminal on the Mainland. Some pictures. Note, for now, the only place to grab food is a Dunkin Express. There appears to be many stores still under construction. Only a few departures scheduled from the mauka terminal. Large area for SafeTravels arrivals processing.

LIH Prem and writerguyfl like this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Thanks for the pix, slippahs. Looks very "utilitarian" and "linear". There doesn't appear to be any power ports/outlets at the seats.

Were there any wide body departures from there or just narrow bodies? I guess it is too soon to tell what the mix will be,
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Thanks for the pix, slippahs. Looks very "utilitarian" and "linear". There doesn't appear to be any power ports/outlets at the seats.

Were there any wide body departures from there or just narrow bodies? I guess it is too soon to tell what the mix will be,
You can see the nose of an A330 parked in the last picture. From the departures board, looks like a mix of A332s and A321s. No inter island flights, although I think there were a few 717s that departed from it yesterday.

The tall post looking things scattered throughout the seating area have/are charging stations.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Did it appear that there is another HA lounge in the works?
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Did it appear that there is another HA lounge in the works?
No obvious signs of one, but there were a lot of concession stalls under construction.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:46 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
No power outlets at the terminal seats? Someone dropped the ball on that decision. Even a small airport such as Eugene have power outlets at their terminal seats.
dlaue likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
No power outlets at the terminal seats? Someone dropped the ball on that decision. Even a small airport such as Eugene have power outlets at their terminal seats.
I doubt any ball was dropped but more likely a conscious cost savings measure. My guess is a reuse of those black chairs from somewhere.
dlaue likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
I noticed that too. Does not appear that they even wired the floor for future electrical terminals in the seating area.
No cupholders either.
Wonder if any airport has fold-out tables in boarding area seats? Seems like that would be handy for laptops and eating/drinking.
Perhaps Briggs & Riley could make a roller bag with a very lightweight table built in.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:25 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by slippahs
I doubt any ball was dropped but more likely a conscious cost savings measure. My guess is a reuse of those black chairs from somewhere.

I agree with you, it’s cost saving measures. But when the decision makers decided to budget more on aesthetics than utilitarian costs such as power ports/electrical wiring. I deem it dropping the ball in my books.

Pretty sure someone said, let’s budget more for wooden ceiling panels and floor designs……
Old Sep 1, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
You can see the nose of an A330 parked in the last picture. From the departures board, looks like a mix of A332s and A321s. No inter island flights, although I think there were a few 717s that departed from it yesterday.
I walked by before an interisland departure this morning but didn't go in because everyone entering was being funneled into ag screening, so I assume interisland is staying put and it will just be the mainland departures out of the new concourse. Lots more traffic heading that way than there used to be. So much for short lines at the Starbucks at that end.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
The tall post looking things scattered throughout the seating area have/are charging stations.
Was in the terminal Sept 1st. Here is a pix of the power outlet on the tall grey post. There is one of these on each side of the post and there is one post for every seat cluster, typically two rows of 10 seats back-to back. Looks like there is both a USB-A and USB-C port and A/C outlets.

ExpatExp likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks for posting the pictures slippahs . I guess they fired the "Hawaiian Sense of Place" architectural design firm? Drove past the terminal yesterday before seeing this thread, and my wife commented about how pedestrian the outside looked.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
They're the same charges that are in the Southwest section downstairs in HNL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.