Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
RIP

Trusted Testing and Travel Partner(link is external) prior to departing as an alternative to Hawaii’s mandatory 5-day quarantine.

Additionally, any passengers on any commercial flight from the mainland [US], who are over the age of 18, who download the CLEAR app clearme.com/hawaii and correctly follow the directions can use Health Pass. CLEAR touts Health Pass as a “free, mobile experience by CLEAR, which securely connects a person’s verified identity to multiple layers of COVID-19 related insights, including proof of vaccination, to reduce public health risk.”

Here’s how it works: Travelers will add their negative COVID-19 test result or vaccine verification to the free CLEAR mobile app clearme.com/hawaii to generate a Health Pass. Then they can apply for a quarantine exception on the Hawaii Safe Travels website by linking their CLEAR Health Pass. The secure process may be done over a smartphone.

Employees of airlines participating in pre-clearance programs will scan a passenger’s HI QR code prior to the flight to Hawaii to ensure that all entry requirements are satisfied. Depending on the airline, travelers might receive a wristband to help expedite arrival procedures in Hawaii. If a particular airline does not provide pre- clearance service prior to departure, travelers will be screened upon arrival in Hawaii.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/07/10/hawaii-news/hawaii-streamlines-travel-entry-with-clear-health-pass/?HSA=49ce592a363d295324577e0c19496e69b02ab967

Link to Safe Travels Hawaii Website (Mandatory State of Hawaii Travel and Health Form) - https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/

Beginning July 8, 2021, individuals fully vaccinated in the United States or its Territories may enter Hawaii on domestic flights without pre-travel testing/quarantine starting the 15th day after the completion of their vaccination. All other travelers must have their negative test results from a
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The vaccine exemption expands to the rest of the USA starting July 8. For those people arriving July 8 or later, they can now upload their vaccine cards.

-David
Why do you need to upload your vaccine card if it still needs to be shown and verified at the airport? It’s not like the Hawaii based vaccines where it is connected to the States Health Department database to verify them.
LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Why do you need to upload your vaccine card if it still needs to be shown and verified at the airport? It’s not like the Hawaii based vaccines where it is connected to the States Health Department database to verify them.
It serves as a declaration to be used to prosecute traveler should actual card presented is fraudulent.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
It serves as a declaration to be used to prosecute traveler should actual card presented is fraudulent.
Interesting to hear this and it makes sense but how are they going to catch the fraudulent out of state vaccines without a database?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:56 am
Original Member

Interesting to hear this and it makes sense but how are they going to catch the fraudulent out of state vaccines without a database?
They are not. The most they can do is audit a select few. I even more of it is for record keeping that catching someone dumb enough to show up with a obviously fake card and/or become hospitalized with COVID while in the state.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
They are not. The most they can do is audit a select few. I even more of it is for record keeping that catching someone dumb enough to show up with a obviously fake card and/or become hospitalized with COVID while in the state.
Each state’s department of health has a website to verify one’s vaccination record. I can get and carry this piece of information on my phone in addition to the physical CDC card. HI can demand this verification from individuals. Here is the website for Virginia.
https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immuniz...-request-form/
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:39 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Each state’s department of health has a website to verify one’s vaccination record. I can get and carry this piece of information on my phone in addition to the physical CDC card. HI can demand this verification from individuals. Here is the website for Virginia.
Some states do. Definitely not all states' site are open to the public; some are limited to licensed medical providers.

It's also too manually intensive for HI to verify each and every single card uploaded and automation is unlikely to happen before Safe Travels is completely discontinued due to HI vaccination rates >= 70%.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Gov Ige confirmed that every mainland vaccine card will need to be manually verified by a screener in a recent interview with KHON2 News.

Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Gov Ige confirmed that every mainland vaccine card will need to be manually verified by a screener in a recent interview with KHON2 News.

https://youtu.be/IK8J1crluz0
I don’t see how that is logistically possible. US fully vaccinated rate is around 47%. Daily arrival numbers into HI is around 30K. Let’s assume only 20% (as an example) of arrivals are fully vaccinated from out of state so that is still 6,000 daily to be manually verified unless verified is taking card at face value to see dose and dates are >two weeks ago but not that it is indeed genuine by reaching out to other state health department or health care provider administering the shot(s).
denver19 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t see how that is logistically possible. US fully vaccinated rate is around 47%. Daily arrival numbers into HI is around 30K. Let’s assume only 20% (as an example) of arrivals are fully vaccinated from out of state so that is still 6,000 daily to be manually verified unless verified is taking card at face value to see dose and dates are >two weeks ago but not that it is indeed genuine by reaching out to other state health department or health care provider administering the shot(s).
They aren't reaching out to labs to verify lab results, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure they're just taking the results at face value. I don't know why they would verify vaccine cards any differently.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by josephstern
They aren't reaching out to labs to verify lab results, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure they're just taking the results at face value. I don't know why they would verify vaccine cards any differently.
Hawaii should validate or accept vaccination confirmation from state-maintained databases. This would be far less costly to the State of Hawaii than examining photos, some poorly rendered, of vaccine cards. The Safe Travels site should have a drop-down list of states which maintain vaccination data. Then a form, customized to the applicant's state, for information needed to retrieve the record from that state. Bingo! Entry to Hawaii approved. If there is a problem with accessing the electronic database, then notify the applicant that they need to upload pictures fo their vaccine cards for manual review.

Of course, if the state believes that the vaccine passport is just a temporary measure, then an efficient system may be unnecessary.
denver19 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
By "manually verified", I get the feeling they mean "looking briefly at the paper card to make sure it's not printed on the back of a take-out menu or filled out using a crayon"
seawolf, Calcifer and denver19 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dlaue
Hawaii should validate or accept vaccination confirmation from state-maintained databases. This would be far less costly to the State of Hawaii than examining photos, some poorly rendered, of vaccine cards. The Safe Travels site should have a drop-down list of states which maintain vaccination data. Then a form, customized to the applicant's state, for information needed to retrieve the record from that state. Bingo! Entry to Hawaii approved. If there is a problem with accessing the electronic database, then notify the applicant that they need to upload pictures fo their vaccine cards for manual review.

Of course, if the state believes that the vaccine passport is just a temporary measure, then an efficient system may be unnecessary.
There's no incentive for other states to allow access to records just because HI wants them.

Temporary is what this is and is essentially going to be at face value.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:59 pm

The State of Hawaii won’t be basing the vaccines cards off photos of the card. For vaccines that were entered as being administered in Hawaii, the system cross references the Lot # and Name with the Hawaii Health Departments vaccine records to see if it matches and if it does, you don’t have to show your vaccine card. For out of state vaccines, since the state still has no records to other states vaccine database, the physical vaccine card will be required to be presented for “final approval.”

Gov Ige did say in his initial press conference announcing the program that the airlines will also be checking and verifying the vaccine cards (I assume he’s only meaning the airlines that participate in Hawaii Pre-Clear so not AA or DL) so I assume it will just be a visual 30 second look at the card if they are letting the airlines do it.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 2, 2021 at 4:26 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Why do I have the sense that this rollout might go just as ineptly as the rollout of the original Hawaii Safe Travels program. Be prepared to face a whole lot of ambiguity and uncertainty if you are one of the first to use the vaccine passport exemption from quarantine. Keep your expectations low for a while and be delighted when you work your way throught the system and the bureaucracy.
Absolutely. But if you have your vax card, or wristband, or whatever they are doing after the 8th you'll be fine. This is theater.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
We are flying from PHX to Hawaii July 12. Is there any reason not to go ahead and register for the Safe Travels program now? Or wait until after July 8? Somewhere I read you should do it 24 hours in advance but that might have been old information. I guess if your flights are changed you can go into the account and edit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.