Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
RIP

Trusted Testing and Travel Partner(link is external) prior to departing as an alternative to Hawaii’s mandatory 5-day quarantine.

Additionally, any passengers on any commercial flight from the mainland [US], who are over the age of 18, who download the CLEAR app clearme.com/hawaii and correctly follow the directions can use Health Pass. CLEAR touts Health Pass as a “free, mobile experience by CLEAR, which securely connects a person’s verified identity to multiple layers of COVID-19 related insights, including proof of vaccination, to reduce public health risk.”

Here’s how it works: Travelers will add their negative COVID-19 test result or vaccine verification to the free CLEAR mobile app clearme.com/hawaii to generate a Health Pass. Then they can apply for a quarantine exception on the Hawaii Safe Travels website by linking their CLEAR Health Pass. The secure process may be done over a smartphone.

Employees of airlines participating in pre-clearance programs will scan a passenger’s HI QR code prior to the flight to Hawaii to ensure that all entry requirements are satisfied. Depending on the airline, travelers might receive a wristband to help expedite arrival procedures in Hawaii. If a particular airline does not provide pre- clearance service prior to departure, travelers will be screened upon arrival in Hawaii.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/07/10/hawaii-news/hawaii-streamlines-travel-entry-with-clear-health-pass/?HSA=49ce592a363d295324577e0c19496e69b02ab967

Link to Safe Travels Hawaii Website (Mandatory State of Hawaii Travel and Health Form) - https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/

Beginning July 8, 2021, individuals fully vaccinated in the United States or its Territories may enter Hawaii on domestic flights without pre-travel testing/quarantine starting the 15th day after the completion of their vaccination. All other travelers must have their negative test results from a
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Fingers crossed! (we're going on July 10)

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...loosen-july-8/
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:46 am

This is good news for me. We fly to LIH on July 13. I was trying to do the math and thought it would be close if Hawaii was able to get to 60% by then based on the number of shots being given daily atm.

But we still have to get our 6 year old tested and now I'm panicking a little because he is in camp the week before our trip and worried about the very slight chance that he gets covid. Unlikely as it may be, that would ruin the trip.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
I’m flying to HNL on July 9.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Why do I have the sense that this rollout might go just as ineptly as the rollout of the original Hawaii Safe Travels program. Be prepared to face a whole lot of ambiguity and uncertainty if you are one of the first to use the vaccine passport exemption from quarantine. Keep your expectations low for a while and be delighted when you work your way throught the system and the bureaucracy.
LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I am more optimistic because airlines have enough experience to handle the new procedure. So, it will go more smoothly than a few months ago. Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am more optimistic because airlines have enough experience to handle the new procedure. So, it will go more smoothly than a few months ago. Cheers.
Not if you are traveling on AA or DL which do no Hawaii document checks before departure which can cause long lines upon arrival into Hawaii.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have a flight to Lihue on July 8th - just tried to work through the Safe Travels website and looks like there's no option to upload vaccination card from outside state of Hawaii yet (it just errors out and says vaccine exemption is only for Hawaii vaccinations). Will wait and see if further instructions come out or if they really just plan to have folks show their physical vaccine cards upon arrival?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by lily23
I have a flight to Lihue on July 8th - just tried to work through the Safe Travels website and looks like there's no option to upload vaccination card from outside state of Hawaii yet (it just errors out and says vaccine exemption is only for Hawaii vaccinations). Will wait and see if further instructions come out or if they really just plan to have folks show their physical vaccine cards upon arrival?
Since the state of Hawaii has no way to match out of state vaccines to any Health Department database, it wouldn’t surprise me if all out of state vaccines need to be manually verified by an agent either in Hawaii or at your departure gate if flying with an airline that gives wristbands out.
seawolf, LETTERBOY and lily23 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Might be pre-mature. They just announced the July 8th situation yesterday. If its not up and running by the start of the July 4th weekend, maybe there is a problem.
lily23 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Since the state of Hawaii has no way to match out of state vaccines to any Health Department database, it wouldn’t surprise me if all out of state vaccines need to be manually verified by an agent either in Hawaii or at your departure gate if flying with an airline that gives wristbands out.
No idea how they will be verified (you may be right about that), but they will have to be uploaded to the safe travels website.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/06/ha...ers-on-july-8/

To sidestep the quarantine by using vaccination records, travelers must upload their vaccination records onto the state’s COVID-19 “Safe Travels” website and bring a hard copy of their vaccination record with them, Ige said.

-David
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA,UA,DL,Alaska,Hilton,Hyatt
We have a flight to HNL on July 8 - I can imagine it will be a bit of a cluster that day as things get sorted out. We're actually thinking of getting the free Walgreens test anyways prior to the flight, just in case.

I did find this info about uploading your CDC card though:

"Beginning July 1, travelers who were vaccinated in the United States and U.S. territories will be able to upload their vaccine document into the Safe Travels digital platform for trips scheduled to arrive in Hawaii on July 8 and beyond to bypass quarantine. Trip information in Safe Travels needs to be associated to the document upload. This phase of the Safe Travels Vaccine Exception Program goes into effect on July 8."

It was on this website:

https://ets.hawaii.gov/travelhelp/

So if you're traveling on or after July 8 you should set a reminder to upload your CDC card info on July 1.

Edit: Website fixed the date, it now correctly reads July 8.
Calcifer likes this.

Last edited by BothofUs2; Jun 28, 2021 at 1:47 pm Reason: website fixed date
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:59 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I wonder what happens if you have been double-vaccinated in another country (not the US). Some people have homes in more than one part of the world.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Consecutive posts merged

I don’t think it will be a cluster. Processing vaccinated travelers could just take a bit longer as screener has to look that CDC card matches what was uploaded to safe travel instead of looking at the lab NEGATIVE check marks already in safe travels under current program.

Here’s how I think it goes.
1.).Traveler enter details on vaccine type and dose date(s) and upload card in safe travels. This essentially substitutes selecting lab vendor and uploading PDF.
2.). Health questionnaire 24 hours prior same as current process.
3.). Upon arrival, show screener QR code and present ID AND vaccine card. Screener will confirm details and uploaded card matches physical card.

Originally Posted by 1P
I wonder what happens if you have been double-vaccinated in another country (not the US). Some people have homes in more than one part of the world.
Hawaii don’t know you are double vaccinated unless you tell them. There is no benefit in you telling them that. They only care you are vaccinated in US.
LIH Prem likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 27, 2021 at 5:07 am
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Reading the wording of these rules, does it mean that e.g somebody travelling from Mexico cannot enter Hawaii as of this moment? Even if vaccinated in US and having the vaccination CDC card?

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by STS-134
Here's how they can verify it for CA: https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/

I got my QR code and it literally just encodes the text string 'shc:/' followed by about 1500-1600 digits in the range [0-9]. Obviously it's either referring to an entry in a database or it's somehow encrypted, and my barcode scanner can't decode anything more than that. Businesses (as well as other states) supposedly would have the ability to verify it, probably by connecting to California's vaccination record database somehow. The record is supposed to include my name, DOB, the vaccine I got, and the dates the two doses were given.

Policy should simply be that either your state provides a way for them to verify it, or you take a test or quarantine. Don't like it, complain to your legislature. They're not obligated to let you bypass quarantine if they can't verify your status, as we've seen during these past 9-12 months.
This system is not perfect, either... Some friends of mine including me it doesn't work for some reason... I submitted my information online, but they never fix it so far, oh well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.