Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

2021 Onwards - Consolidated "F/J/C to/from Hawaii - Questions & Observations" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Onwards - Consolidated "F/J/C to/from Hawaii - Questions & Observations" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by flannbarr
That being said, I am willing to fly other airlines.
I am always looking to go DL as my first choice and am sitting on a ton of travel credits and SkyBonus points I need to start using, but sometimes, DL just doesn't work. Good that you are open to other possibilities.

I find that given the travel time and time difference, I'm not willing to do more than one connection to Hawaii in a single day. LIH is a relatively small market and also has a short runway so the longest non-stop would be UA out of DEN. The wild card would be Hawaiian's new MCO-HNL non-stop that just started.
TWA884 likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 24, 2021 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wchinchen
Being FlyerTalk, we all try to maximize the hard product, even if it means flying longer. But, your option one sounds the most reasonable, as it gets you to Kauai directly without having to jump through the COVID gauntlet twice (once in HNL, then another in LIH).

A tight connection in SLC is not fun, especially if Delta schedules the flights at different terminals (Its about a 10 minute walk).

If you truly want to maximize the hard product FC experience, willing to fly longer in order to get lay flat options, with cost in mind, as other posters have said, then look at other carriers: AA out of DFW/ORD, UA out of SFO/ORD, HA LAS/JFK. AA has been the best price wise when I've been booking, but has gone up two to three folds this month on certain days.
This is what I'm thinking. It's not what the OP asked, but in the spirit of being helpful, I would suggest considering Hawaii's requirements for inter-island travel. Currently it looks easier to fly directly from the mainland to an island other than Oahu and then going to HNL on the return. Two other islands in one trip seems unnecessarily complicated at this time unless there's a very good reason for such an itinerary.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Another vote to fly direct into LIH from the mainland. A double-connection is painful enough, but with presumably still COVID restrictions it is even worse.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wchinchen
Or maybe Delta will revive the dreaded 767 2x2x2 domestic FC seats with the super small 1990's screens for the SLC-HNL again. One positive out of COVID, is that Delta has provided better hard product equipped planes for HNL routes. Currently on an A330-200 with herring bone configuration, for a typical 757 SEA-HNL route.
Well, thankfully, the domestic 767's have been retired for about a year I believe. Yes, they are currently running 767ER's on SEA-HNL and A330's on SLC-HNL through May 4th and these could very likely continue when the extend the schedule from May 5th and beyond (given that international flying is still likely going to be fairly light). 75S on LAX-LIH could also get extended.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 14, 2021 at 3:32 pm
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL has only solidified their schedule through May 4th. Flights booked for June are almost certainly going to see significant changes. I'd be hesitant to book anything on DL for June with it's limited options and the high probability of changes.
Alternatively, this could be a golden opportunity depending on risk tolerance/acceptability of the alternate should this not work out. But if you have a flight that you're pretty sure is going to be changed, booking that now, then letting the schedule change break the connection could give OP the golden ticket to change routing via MSP or ATL for free.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Alternatively, this could be a golden opportunity depending on risk tolerance/acceptability of the alternate should this not work out. But if you have a flight that you're pretty sure is going to be changed, booking that now, then letting the schedule change break the connection could give OP the golden ticket to change routing via MSP or ATL for free.
Exactly what I was about to say. Similarly, the 31 minute SLC connection is very tempting. All it takes is a 2-minute schedule change (happens all the time) and boom, you're on the A330 for free

(29 min connection is illegal)
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Exactly what I was about to say. Similarly, the 31 minute SLC connection is very tempting. All it takes is a 2-minute schedule change (happens all the time) and boom, you're on the A330 for free

(29 min connection is illegal)
This is how I booked me and mother on ATL-HNL both directions. Booked via LAX originally knowing 3+ months out schedule would change.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
In July 2021, my wife and 19 year old son are flying from Tampa, FL to Hawaii.
For what it's worth, Hawaiian now flies nonstop to HNL from MCO using the A330.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
For what it's worth, Hawaiian now flies nonstop to HNL from MCO using the A330.
The drive from TPA to MCO is brutal with I-4 traffic almost always being backed up for miles when leaving Tampa and again when coming into Orlando near Disney. I’d rather just deal with standard domestic F out of TPA than deal with that awful drive while trying to make a flight.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
My recommendation, consider AA unless you're able to get the A330 or 767 via ATL or MSP. On the return out of KOA on DL, you'll only be able to go via ATL or MSP if you go via HNL. If you try to do KOA-LAX, it'll be a standard domestic F seat on DL. AA runs the 777 and 787 via DFW to both HNL and KOA (as well as OGG) which will come with lie-flats This will make a huge difference on the redeye return, whereas out of KOA on DL, you'll get a DL aircraft with a standard domestic F seat unless you're willing to go via HNL and then get a flight to ATL or MSP with the A330 or 767 with lie-flats (or maybe via SLC but that is not guaranteed to be DL One and even if showing an aircraft type with lie-flats, there could be a schedule change between now and then to an aircraft with non-lie-flats). As you note later in the thread, the ATL and MSP routings, especially the returns, usually command a steep premium. Conversely, AA F is often reasonably priced.
This.

I see TPA-DFW-HNL on AA in the $2,000 RT range, with DFW-HNL-DFW on 1-2-1 configuration 789. As low as $1,767 with Amex Insider Fares.
And, unlike DL, AA serves real meals and full drink menu... with ice.

HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I am ready to book the following in First Class:

7/3: TPA>SLC>SEA>LIH (737-900ER, 737-800, 757)
7/19: KOA>LAX>TPA (757, 737-900)

The price per person is $1,888 which seems decent. Other Delta itineraries and other airlines are much more $$$.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 6:32 am
Original Poster

We are changing our Hawaii trip from July to September. The likely dates are 9/9 from TPA>LIH and 9/26 from KOA>TPA, however we are flexible in our dates. Now it is only my wife and I as our son will be in college. Flying first class preferably on Delta. It appears that 757's are primarily the options for the long hauls and nothing with Delta One seating. If anyone sees anything better, I would love to hear it.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
We are changing our Hawaii trip from July to September. The likely dates are 9/9 from TPA>LIH and 9/26 from KOA>TPA, however we are flexible in our dates. Now it is only my wife and I as our son will be in college. Flying first class preferably on Delta. It appears that 757's are primarily the options for the long hauls and nothing with Delta One seating. If anyone sees anything better, I would love to hear it.
Delta 757s are terrible and the worst choice after DL configured the cabin and reduced legroom in F by cramming in more seats between doors 1L and 2L. Don't just search TPA-LIH. TPA-HNL will give you more (wide body) options. Unless you can find an ATL-HNL nonstop, suggest AA which has lie flats from CLT-HNL and DFW-HNL. Then buy a cheap HNL-LIH flight to get to Kauai. If you have an Amex, use AmexTravel and they offer Insider Fares especially on AA which can be 20% less than published fares.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:19 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Book the cheapest possible option and between now and September you will most likely have the opportunity to change your flights to an alternative (more expensive) itinerary due to schedule change.

We have tickets booked for Thanksgiving for LIH-MCI, we were originally booked on the cheapest LIH-LAX-MCI option, our schedule changed recently and instead of the the LIH-LAX-MCI (with a much longer layover in LAX) itinerary they switched us to, I was able to switch to LIH-HNL-SLC-MCI on the website, with the HNL-SLC flight on a flat bed aircraft (for now of course, everything's subject to change), that flight was much more expensive to book when I booked our tickets, but I had no problem switching to it with the schedule change. I was not able to switch to HNL-ATL by the online system, I did not try calling in to do it either.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
Book the cheapest possible option and between now and September you will most likely have the opportunity to change your flights to an alternative (more expensive) itinerary due to schedule change.

We have tickets booked for Thanksgiving for LIH-MCI, we were originally booked on the cheapest LIH-LAX-MCI option, our schedule changed recently and instead of the the LIH-LAX-MCI (with a much longer layover in LAX) itinerary they switched us to, I was able to switch to LIH-HNL-SLC-MCI on the website, with the HNL-SLC flight on a flat bed aircraft (for now of course, everything's subject to change), that flight was much more expensive to book when I booked our tickets, but I had no problem switching to it with the schedule change. I was not able to switch to HNL-ATL by the online system, I did not try calling in to do it either.
If called in they'd be happy to switch to HNL/MSP or HNL/ATL. (I recommend ATL as MSP gets in a bit earlier than I prefer, normally anyway)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.