Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Impact on Car Rental Rates in Hawaii (Historic Low Rates Now Much Higher)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 Impact on Car Rental Rates in Hawaii (Historic Low Rates Now Much Higher)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Hawai'i car rentals

Whoever you fly to Hawaii, make sure you got a car lined up. Anyone showing Monday HNL w/o a reservation is in for a surprise...
SFO777 and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 16, 2021 at 4:07 am Reason: merged with existing thread
Old May 15, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Whoever you fly to Hawaii, make sure you got a car lined up. Anyone showing Monday HNL w/o a reservation is in for a surprise...
Can't a few enterprising islanders start doing Uber / Lyft or rent out their cars via Turo?
Old May 15, 2021, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by a5un
Can't a few enterprising islanders start doing Uber / Lyft or rent out their cars via Turo?
Already happening, according to other media sources. In fact, on Maui, there were reports of a local who was buying up used cars as fast as possible, and renting them out. Last I heard he had a fleet of 20 or 25, and they were much, much cheaper than the standard rental car rates, and booked solid.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:24 am

I was able to book a minivan on Turo from 5/17 thru 5/20 near HNL for $350. It's slim pickin's but keep checking as new cars are coming on line.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Already happening, according to other media sources. In fact, on Maui, there were reports of a local who was buying up used cars as fast as possible, and renting them out. Last I heard he had a fleet of 20 or 25, and they were much, much cheaper than the standard rental car rates, and booked solid.
Wonder what the liability of that is. Say one of his/her "renters" creates a serious crash and blows up in a flaming fireball?

Regards
Old May 19, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AS Mileage Plan, AMEX MR, NWA WorldPerks SilverElite
Heading to Ogg next week. Made car reservation through Costco months ago at a decent rate with Budget. I’m nervous about availability of vehicle upon arrival, despite being assured by reservations agent that it shouldn’t be a problem (called twice now to confirm). Any recent experiences/data points by anyone on not getting rental despite reservation ?
Old May 20, 2021, 2:10 am

Do pre-paid reservations have a better chance of being honoured? I have seen a good rate with Avis/BA but would have to pay upfront.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
Originally Posted by LucyK1806
Do pre-paid reservations have a better chance of being honoured? I have seen a good rate with Avis/BA but would have to pay upfront.
I hope not. I would hope that if you have a reservation, pre-paid or not, regardless of if you made it recently for $$$ or months ago for $, that the cars would be given out more on first-come first-served...

I reserved a minivan months prior to my trip - not sure what I would do if they don't have one and want to "upgrade" me to a convertible or something... I need a 6 - seater.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:52 pm

From everything that I have seen and heard from friends, if you have a reservation you don't have to worry. Other than a few reports of having to wait, there have been few issues. The big thing with rentals currently is actually finding a vehicle to rent and then the cost of such rental when you do.
Old May 21, 2021, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Airplanewallah
Heading to Ogg next week. Made car reservation through Costco months ago at a decent rate with Budget. I’m nervous about availability of vehicle upon arrival, despite being assured by reservations agent that it shouldn’t be a problem (called twice now to confirm). Any recent experiences/data points by anyone on not getting rental despite reservation ?
I'm in the same boat. I called Budget's OGG office a few weeks ago and they said if I had a confirmed reservation, they would have my car.
Old May 22, 2021, 8:00 am

Are rental car prices still that bad? I just booked at National on Kauai for $40/day

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 22, 2021 at 9:46 am Reason: moved from "shipping car" thread as this line of discussion is more topical here
Old May 22, 2021, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by deltar
Are rental car prices still that bad? I just booked at National on Kauai for $40/day
Uh, when did you book for? How long?

David
Old May 22, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Uh, when did you book for? How long?

David
Just checked. Booked on May 12 for 11 days in July. Total cost ~ $450.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Corporate leisure rates seem normal to me at the big three provided there is availability. Booked 3 months ago for June for a full size at around $200-$300 a week taxes included at big three.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 22, 2021 at 2:07 pm Reason: moved from "shipping car" thread as this line of discussion is more topical here
Old May 22, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
Corporate leisure rates seem normal to me at the big three provided there is availability. Booked 3 months ago for June for a full size at around $200-$300 a week taxes included at big three.
Wasn't that before prices surged? I'm trying to book for July/August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.