Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Impact on Car Rental Rates in Hawaii (Historic Low Rates Now Much Higher)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 Impact on Car Rental Rates in Hawaii (Historic Low Rates Now Much Higher)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Turo rates are rock bottom too in Hawaii. You can rent a Jeep through Turo for a fraction of what the traditional rental companies are charging.
The rates here (Maui) look pretty high:https://turo.com/us/en/search?defaul...rtTime=10%3A00
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I agree, you can get better rates with AVIS, using various AWD codes.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Only when paying cash. Most of the time I use Chase UR. Bonus is nice.

You could use autoslash to compare the rates it can find with what you have booked, Then it's your choice as to what you book and how you book it. They have transparent rates and some opaque rates you have to pay through them. I never use the latter ones, and I never use the 3rd tier rental car companies.

It's just another tool in the toolbox.

-David
tattikat2 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You could use autoslash to compare the rates it can find with what you have booked, Then it's your choice as to what you book and how you book it. They have transparent rates and some opaque rates you have to pay through them. I never use the latter ones, and I never use the 3rd tier rental car companies.

It's just another tool in the toolbox.

-David
Doing that. Autoslash is a good tool.
LIH Prem and tattikat2 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:33 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Anyone know which car rental companies are ABSOLUTELY at the HNL terminal? The airport.gov site says Enterprise is on-site, for instance, but then it says "take shuttle"...so no, it's NOT on-site.

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wunderpit
Anyone know which car rental companies are ABSOLUTELY at the HNL terminal? The airport.gov site says Enterprise is on-site, for instance, but then it says "take shuttle"...so no, it's NOT on-site.

Thanks!
https://www.ifly.com/honolulu-international-airport says: On airport rental car offices are located on the ground level of the Terminal 2 Parking Garage except Enterprise which is located on Aolele Street. There are 6 rental car companies at the airport.

So 5 of 6 are at T 2.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:10 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by philemer
https://www.ifly.com/honolulu-international-airport says: On airport rental car offices are located on the ground level of the Terminal 2 Parking Garage except Enterprise which is located on Aolele Street. There are 6 rental car companies at the airport.

So 5 of 6 are at T 2.
That site is much better. Not sure why google points to an old looking .gov site. Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Alternatively, https://blog.autoslash.com/daniel-k-...-rental-guide/
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I've enjoyed the low car rentals rates as I rent regularly all the time, but am I the only one who the thinks rates have absolutely exploded? First $100/day, then $200/day, and now $400/day or no availability whatsoever is the norm. Just what is going on? Have all those cars parked inside the crumbling Aloha Stadium all been sold instead of being put back into the fleet?
nsx likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by msp3
I've enjoyed the low car rentals rates as I rent regularly all the time, but am I the only one who the thinks rates have absolutely exploded? First $100/day, then $200/day, and now $400/day or no availability whatsoever is the norm. Just what is going on? Have all those cars parked inside the crumbling Aloha Stadium all been sold instead of being put back into the fleet?
There's just not enough inventory to keep up with demand in the state. $2100/week for a compact Kia is the new norm now that spring break travel surge has hit. On the outer islands, the big rental companies shipped a lot.of their fleet back to the mainland but haven't shipped much back.

People should explore things like Turo to save money in this market.
msp3 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
On the outer islands, the big rental companies shipped a lot of their fleet back to the mainland but haven't shipped much back.
That would explain how a Hawaii-plated 4 Door Jeep Wrangler ended up in Hertz' lot at SJC! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33034242-post103.html
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
There's just not enough inventory to keep up with demand in the state. $2100/week for a compact Kia is the new norm now that spring break travel surge has hit. On the outer islands, the big rental companies shipped a lot.of their fleet back to the mainland but haven't shipped much back.

People should explore things like Turo to save money in this market.
KITV reported on this topic recently.
msp3 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Thanks for the heads up on this, I hadn't booked my rental yet for our May trip to OGG. National wanted $1100 for 10 days but our company has a personal use contract rate that lowered it to $375 or so. I'm glad we locked that in.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Ok, now I'm freaking out -- I arrive in HNL on Thursday around 1 pm. I have a reservation with Hertz via priceline, but they don't charge until I arrive. I'm worried they won't have any vehicles once I get there. I made another reservation with National today -- any suggestions? Turo doesn't have many options either.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:45 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by Ron Mexico
Ok, now I'm freaking out -- I arrive in HNL on Thursday around 1 pm. I have a reservation with Hertz via priceline, but they don't charge until I arrive. I'm worried they won't have any vehicles once I get there. I made another reservation with National today -- any suggestions? Turo doesn't have many options either.
Yikes! Spring Break madness continues in HI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.