Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Kaua`i County (LIH) Visitors After Oct 15 - What to Expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2020, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
March 2, 2021 Update - Kauai Mayor Derek S. K. Kawakami is seeking to rejoin the state Safe Travels Hawaii program, which would make it unnecessary for Kauai’s out-of-state visitors to stay in a resort bubble or spend time on another Hawaiian island to qualify for a quarantine exemption. If Gov. David Ige approves Kawakami’s proposed Emergency Rule 25, trans-Pacific travelers who successfully participate in state’s Safe Travels pre-travel testing program could begin exempting the island’s 10-day quarantine on April 5. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/03/02/breaking-news/kauai-asks-to-rejoin-hawaii-safe-travels-program-in-april/

Print Wikipost

Kaua`i County (LIH) Visitors After Oct 15 - What to Expect?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The only obvious chain hotel here is Hilton, and IMO it would be grim to be stuck for fourteen days without being able to leave a Hilton Garden Inn, even if it does have a pool (or private beach that would be considered within the boundaries). The resort bubble only seems attractive if the property has at least a couple interesting restaurants, etc.
The Kauai location is very nice with accommodations a mix of hotel rooms and stand-alone villas scattered in the adjacent oceanfront park environment. I would do 72 hours here in a bubble if Kauai's 72-96 hr testing plan ever kicks in, but I couldn't imagine a visitor wanting to spend a full 2 weeks there. If I was a Kauai resident that wanted to avoid contaminating a household before returning to it, living at the HGI for 2 weeks would be perfect. But for someone traveling on vacation wanting to be close to a nice pool and beach, a place like the HGI on South Padre Island could be visited with less retrictions, less travel time, and less expense.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sullim4
We stayed at Kukui'ula a couple weeks ago and there were remnants of this resort bubble plan explained in the docs we had to sign. There's an app you have to install on your phone that talks to a bluetooth bracelet and reports your location to the state on a regular basis. If you exit the geofence around the resort, or remove the bracelet, the authorities are notified.
Is the ocean in or out of bounds? I imagine the bracelet would have a hard time communicating with your phone if it's underwater.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Doppy
Is the ocean in or out of bounds? I imagine the bracelet would have a hard time communicating with your phone if it's underwater.
For Kukui'ula anyway, it's out of bounds. The beach/harbor is across Lawai Rd from the resort. The pools were ruled in bounds. Kukui'ula is huge and there were areas of the resort that were out of bounds - for instance, the farm area up the hill was mentioned. I can't remember if the clubhouse was in our out, given that it is shared with full-time residents.

Personally, unless I was a returning resident, I would seek other options off island. That's likely what the county is trying to accomplish anyway... which is odd considering a majority of their cases are coming from returning residents rather than tourists.
QT31415 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sullim4
For Kukui'ula anyway, it's out of bounds. The beach/harbor is across Lawai Rd from the resort. The pools were ruled in bounds. Kukui'ula is huge and there were areas of the resort that were out of bounds - for instance, the farm area up the hill was mentioned.
Ah ok. I'm not familiar with the property. Just curious whether/how they plan to handle ocean activities in the resort bubble.

I agree though that there's no way I would spend an entire vacation geofenced inside a resort. On a 2+ week trip, maybe three days with an exit test, but only if it was clear that rapid testing was going to be readily available on property at the first opportunity to take it. And only if there weren't better options available.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 12:31 pm

Ah ok. I'm not familiar with the property. Just curious whether/how they plan to handle ocean activities in the resort bubble.

I agree though that there's no way I would spend an entire vacation geofenced inside a resort. On a 2+ week trip, maybe three days with an exit test, but only if it was clear that rapid testing was going to be readily available on property at the first opportunity to take it. And only if there weren't better options available.
At most resort bubble locations that are on the ocean, you would be able to lounge on the beach and swim in the ocean between two points.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Nothing says America like literally needing to wear an ankle bracelet, the threat of fines of leaving, and $80 burgers on top of your $700/night hotel eh.
SNA_Flyer, Doppy, sullim4 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
My upcoming trip is now postponed. Since Mayor Derek has decided to cancel everyone and all the money they inject in his island's economy, I hope he has a plan to supplement their incomes. My friends who I usually stay with are OK as their jobs are not tied to tourism, but plenty of people they know are hurting. I would consider a 72 hour bubble quarantine, but nothing more. Mexico is getting my money now.
denver19 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Nothing says America like literally needing to wear an ankle bracelet, the threat of fines of leaving, and $80 burgers on top of your $700/night hotel eh.
The Timbers resort is offering a Resort Bubble special now; they'll give you a tracking bracelet and free roam of their grounds for $800/night with a 4 night minimum.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The Timbers resort is offering a Resort Bubble special now; they'll give you a tracking bracelet and free roam of their grounds for $800/night with a 4 night minimum.
I don’t want to think of the cost of food while on parole in Timbers. Far too much power has been given to the mayors. Saddens me to see what has happened to such a beautiful island.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Maui here; we just booked new visitors here at one of my places who bailed on Kauai. Resort Bubbles are not very promising, and 14 day quarantines are just the end of tourism. So get a test, and come to Maui. We want you here, and after your negative test you are free to enjoy paradise.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 12:04 pm

After considering becoming a resort bubble getaway, Kauai's largest employer, the Grand Hyatt Kauai, has decided to close its doors instead. It will definitely remain closed through the end of 2020 and will indefinitely be closed into 2021.

I think they were hit by a double-whammy: the 14 day travel quarantine plus the California stay at home order, Kauai's largest tourist market, just don't make the place viable for now.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...ors-rest-year/

The county confirmed that the 7 resort bubbles don't provide beach access.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 5, 2020 at 6:21 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I find it hard to believe that any visitors will find a Kauai resort bubble attractive, when Maui, Oahu, and Big Island all have perfectly nice resorts (many with low occupancy rates) + free roam of the islands.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$800/day to not even have access to a beach? Insane.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I think the new Kauai regulations are in keeping with the strong anti-tourist sentiment on that island. They want the island to themselves, but do not have the funding for the infrastructure. They want the federal funds, but not the off-island visitors. Don't know how that will work in the long run.

We rebooked, but not to a hawaiian island - boycotting them until they get their act together. Headed for USVI, much simpler.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:42 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Kauai is changing their rules again, starting

The resort bubble is back in the picture with release after a 3 day quarantine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2021/01/05/covid-travel-restrictions-kauai-rules-change-differ-hawaii/6554186002/?fbclid=IwAR2XjuC32tHYsL6Z0RtqLpLP_pdI_qzgatoZc164 ppS5cAPbOKOHKQkMRCs

The island of Kauai plans to reopen to tourists after a halt forced by the coronavirus, but the economic recovery in the vital tourism industry could be slow.

Kauai had opted out of the state program that allows trans-Pacific visitors if they produce a negative test before arrival, and the island had required all travelers to undergo a 10-day quarantine.

But Kauai plans to begin its own entry program Tuesday. Travelers can avoid quarantine if they go to another Hawaii island with the pre-arrival testing program and wait at least three days before coming to Kauai.

A second option would enable travelers to quarantine for three days instead of 10.

Kauai County said travelers could be released from quarantine if they're tested before arrival, quarantine for three days at a “resort bubble” property and then get a second test that comes back negative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.