Search

Sunrise at Haleakala National Park

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 26, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Honestly, I think you might want to prepare yourself for some disappointment. I hate to be negative but activities, businesses, beaches, parks and everything else in Hawaii has flip-flopped between open and closed so often since March that nothing is a sure bet anymore. With the open-with-test scheme set to start Oct 15 (if it happens), Covid numbers are bound to increase, just as they have in other places that have re-opened. With the way Ige has reacted thus far, I can see the doors slammed shut again very quickly. If they continue to rise, I can see further shut downs up to and including stay-at-home orders. I am telling friends not to plan any trips unless they are willing to quarantine at short notice if it comes to that or deal with closures and possible lockdowns. We have no track record of any reasonable or thoughtful proactive plans of action from the mayors or governor, just reactive and sometimes ridiculous measures (the recent closures of beaches and hiking trails for example). Cases rise; lock ‘er down. Whether that is the right or wrong way to do it is not the point. Just that if you are counting on everything being open and if it isn’t, your trip will be ruined, then better to wait and come another time as changes have often been swift and with little to no notice.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Finkface
Honestly, I think you might want to prepare yourself for some disappointment. I hate to be negative but activities, businesses, beaches, parks and everything else in Hawaii has flip-flopped between open and closed so often since March that nothing is a sure bet anymore. With the open-with-test scheme set to start Oct 15 (if it happens), Covid numbers are bound to increase, just as they have in other places that have re-opened. With the way Ige has reacted thus far, I can see the doors slammed shut again very quickly. If they continue to rise, I can see further shut downs up to and including stay-at-home orders. I am telling friends not to plan any trips unless they are willing to quarantine at short notice if it comes to that or deal with closures and possible lockdowns. We have no track record of any reasonable or thoughtful proactive plans of action from the mayors or governor, just reactive and sometimes ridiculous measures (the recent closures of beaches and hiking trails for example). Cases rise; lock ‘er down. Whether that is the right or wrong way to do it is not the point. Just that if you are counting on everything being open and if it isn’t, your trip will be ruined, then better to wait and come another time as changes have often been swift and with little to no notice.
Thank you for the warning. Everything I have is cancellable, and I have alternate plans. I'll be monitoring the situation closely.

-BlooJoo
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I can't help much with your specific questions but have been up there a couple times during the day. The drive is easy/moderate for most. I've read some stories of non-confident drivers being spooked by the cliffs and whatnot. Honestly, it's not bad at all but want to just give that small warning. I'd go it alone rather than with a group if it were me but that is kind of a personal preference thing.

As for reservations I have heard in the past that it can be difficult but that was back when the island was running full steam. I can't imagine that if it's open you'll have trouble but I'm really just guessing. If you can't get in for sunrise it's plenty nice anytime but does tend to cloud up by late morning a lot. I've snuck up about 8-9ish and it's been amazing.

I think your takeaway from the thread on Hawaii opening is good. There's been a ton of back and forth BS but this one for 10/15 with the negative test looks like it's going stick.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtofell
I can't help much with your specific questions but have been up there a couple times during the day. The drive is easy/moderate for most. I've read some stories of non-confident drivers being spooked by the cliffs and whatnot. Honestly, it's not bad at all but want to just give that small warning. I'd go it alone rather than with a group if it were me but that is kind of a personal preference thing.

As for reservations I have heard in the past that it can be difficult but that was back when the island was running full steam. I can't imagine that if it's open you'll have trouble but I'm really just guessing. If you can't get in for sunrise it's plenty nice anytime but does tend to cloud up by late morning a lot. I've snuck up about 8-9ish and it's been amazing.

I think your takeaway from the thread on Hawaii opening is good. There's been a ton of back and forth BS but this one for 10/15 with the negative test looks like it's going stick.
Thanks. Fairly confident driver, so should be OK.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

To add to this, I would be more worried about the occasional grazing cattle on the road than cliffs, especially when you go through the cloud layers.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
To add to this, I would be more worried about the occasional grazing cattle on the road than cliffs, especially when you go through the cloud layers.
Yes.... and also watch for the mountain bikers flying down the hill. There is a steady stream of tour vans dropping off packs of bikers at the top. Looks like a lot of fun for sure. Realistically, neither is a big obstacle (cows or bikers) but you will see them and it's pretty cool. The drive up is winding and I once had to stop several times due to a carsick kid and it was actually pretty cool (not the sick kid, of course). The scenery all the way up and down is amazing. Don't be in a hurry and don't be afraid to stop off. There are many pull-offs to stop and hang out for as long as you like. Lush grassy fields that look like something from The Sound of Music.

Another driving experience if you are up for it is to circle the north volcano (basically, West Maui - Haleakala is the larger volcano on the south side of the island that the crowded road to Hana goes around - this is the smaller north volcano). I drove the north side once and it is sketchy but doable. You can either do it by heading to Lahina, Kanapali, Napili, etc. and just keep going. Or, you can do it from the Kahului side and end up in Lahina, etc. The roads are narrow and a bit scary but nothing really that bad. The Blow Hole is really cool and worth seeing (google "Maui Blow Hole"). Lots of remote beautiful areas to pull over and check out.

None of this takes very long. If I remember right I took off from Kihei and made it around the north side and was back before lunch.

Last edited by mtofell; Sep 27, 2020 at 10:32 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
None of the roads around Maui are exceptionally scary or sketchy and the ride up Haleakala isn't difficult or dangerous .the only thing remotely "scary" are other drivers, like those who like to speed or pass cars on single lane portions of the road to Hana.

But I ditto the north shore ride from Kahalui to Kaanapali the "long way". Nothing scary or difficult about that ride either, but there's stunning scenery to see along the way.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:53 pm

Yes.... and also watch for the mountain bikers flying down the hill. There is a steady stream of tour vans dropping off packs of bikers at the top.
The commercial bike tours down the mountain were banned by the national park service in October, 2007 after 3 deaths in a relatively short period.

You can do it on your own, you just can't do it as part of a commercial bike tour.

A couple of commercial tour operators still offer a package; they drive you to the summit for sunrise if you prefer, but the bike ride down the mountain starts outside the national park boundary apparently around elevation 6,500 feet. The summit is around 10,000 feet.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 28, 2020 at 7:29 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The commercial bike tours down the mountain were banned by the national park service in October, 2007 after 3 deaths in a relatively short period.

You can do it on your own, you just can't do it as part of a commercial bike tour.

A couple of commercial tour operators still offer a package; they drive you to the summit for sunrise if you prefer, but the bike ride down the mountain starts outside the national park boundary.

-David
Interesting.... they must be starting outside the park then because the last 2X I've been up over the last couple of years there's a steady stream of vans going up and bikes coming down.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:31 pm

Interesting.... they must be starting outside the park then because the last 2X I've been up over the last couple of years there's a steady stream of vans going up and bikes coming down.
Apparently the downhill bike tours start outside the park boundary around elevation 6500'.

-David
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.