Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Can Hawaii Survive Without Mainland Flights and Tourism?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 6:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I love Hawaii, perhaps even retire there, but I'm doubtful the economy can survive until next year without tourist.

Interestingly, it seem that under 30% (by most accounts) of Hawaii's economy is tourism based. That seems really far fetched to me based on my dozen or so visits.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/po...en-it#stream/0
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's more info:

https://dbedt.hawaii.gov/economic/qser/outlook-economy/

I think about retiring there also. Think about how many retirees are already there. That alone produces a lot of cash and consumption to keep the economy moving.

For 30% of an economy to be based on tourism is really pretty large, to me. Do you get out into the non-resort areas? There's obviously also a very large military base that must account for a huge chunk of the economy.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Misleading to be sure. "According to LaCroix, the non-tourism economy is essentially everything that Hawaii residents spend money on. 'That economic activity comes via University of Hawaii, it comes from the schools, it comes from people getting medical care, and it comes from people going to restaurants,' he says an example." But if such a large percentage of people make their livelihoods from tourism, then they won't have money to go out to restaurants or get medical care (or buy groceries, or anything else). I think the cascade effect of zeroing out tourism in Hawaii is going to be far more devastating than many people realize.
JNelson113, ksucats, st3 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:11 pm

usedtobeimportant,
I saw that number and thought the same as you! I am really intrigued to learn about the other industries that hold a large stake in the economy, as they must be far larger than I realized.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern

I think about retiring there also. Think about how many retirees are already there. ..
current situation seems to indicate rather weak healthcare - a key prerequisite to attract retirees...
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by azepine00
current situation seems to indicate rather weak healthcare - a key prerequisite to attract retirees...
absolutely right.
we had planned to move there until we heard about the healthcare infrastructure on the Neighbor Islands. Flying to Oahu for chemo (as our friend did) is not appealing.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
A lot of people are shortsighted, that shouldn't be any surprise. People will retire to Hawaii because they can afford it at the time and they are still active and enjoying good health. A lot of them are not thinking about how retirement might be in their 80s or 90s.

I am not surprised to see that tourism is only 30% of the economy; there's a lot of federal spending which is not dependent on the tourism industry. That doesn't mean people don't hurt when tourism hits a decline but it's not the only source of income for the state. In some respects, I think shutting down restaurants and entertainment -- which go far beyond the tourist industry -- may have had more of a widespread effect. No data, just out-dated instinct (I haven't lived there long-term for over 30 years and have to rely on my annual trips home and accounts from family and friends).
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
A lot of people are shortsighted, that shouldn't be any surprise. People will retire to Hawaii because they can afford it at the time and they are still active and enjoying good health. A lot of them are not thinking about how retirement might be in their 80s or 90s.

I am not surprised to see that tourism is only 30% of the economy; there's a lot of federal spending which is not dependent on the tourism industry. That doesn't mean people don't hurt when tourism hits a decline but it's not the only source of income for the state. In some respects, I think shutting down restaurants and entertainment -- which go far beyond the tourist industry -- may have had more of a widespread effect. No data, just out-dated instinct (I haven't lived there long-term for over 30 years and have to rely on my annual trips home and accounts from family and friends).
People that retire here know what they are getting into. I’m possibly the youngest in my neighborhood but the neighbors know what it takes.

The tourism numbers trickle down, I think we are a few months from that being reported as to impact on everything.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
People that retire here know what they are getting into. I’m possibly the youngest in my neighborhood but the neighbors know what it takes.
I believe that's true for people who have done well enough in life to retire to a gated community near Kapalua. I don't think people who scrape together enough to retire in Aeia or Makiki do quite as much research or forward planning (in general). Then again, my experience is dated, perhaps people do more research and planning now than they did 20 or 30 years ago. ;-)
cawhite and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I believe that's true for people who have done well enough in life to retire to a gated community near Kapalua. I don't think people who scrape together enough to retire in Aeia or Makiki do quite as much research or forward planning (in general). Then again, my experience is dated, perhaps people do more research and planning now than they did 20 or 30 years ago. ;-)
I always joke it isn’t the mortgage that will kill you, it’s HOA dues and politics.😄

Before finding a long term rental (yes I don’t own), I stayed in such a wide variety of places that I spent enough with a huge variety in pricing that I had the pleasure of meeting plenty, from rich to poor. Hard to miss that our healthcare is subpar unless you don’t watch the news, don’t read the paper, and have never looked at the internet.

Quoting Charles Lindbergh; “I would rather live one day in Maui than one month in New York.”
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:33 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ndemic-widens/

Looks like the bankruptcy filings are starting to rise.
LETTERBOY and msp3 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Easy answer: no.
LETTERBOY and msp3 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The answer is no, but not necessarily having anything to do with the mainland. Tourism is great for the economy and when well-managed very sustainable without serious harm to the environment relative to heavy industry, agriculture, fishing, etc.

The real problem is too many people are coming over by low-cost carriers (e.g. WN, SY, D7, etc.) and staying at Airbnbs and bring no value but create costs (crowding, etc). Keep in mind most airbnb scumbags systematically evade taxes, skirt local laws, and are generally disliked by the local community.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 13, 2020 at 5:26 pm Reason: removed quote of now-deleted post with a request to refrain from political commentary in this forum
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:13 pm

Just watched the live news conference on KHON 2. Nothing really surprising beyond what we already knew. What concerns me is where the money is coming from to cover things. Ige wasn’t very clear, other than to say Hawaii doesn’t have it, and he seems to sort of hope Federal funds will be found.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K
30% tourism is interesting but there is probably a maximum % that it could be on an isolated island like Hawaii that is lower than we think (I mention isolated because on the mainland workers could come from a neighboring state and throw off the numbers). Basically, someone has to work the restaurants and grocery stores to serve the tourists. Construction workers need to build and maintain the buildings, people need to work the supply houses for the construction workers to get the materials, etc, etc. Problem is, take out that 30% of tourism and the rest all comes crashing down.

Will Hawaii survive? Sure, in some fashion but it could get REALLY ugly.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.