Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
The Honolulu City Council this morning passed a resolution urging the Governor to reconsider the testing exemption to the 14-day quarantine. it's about to get real.

Also: https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2020...ng-quarantine/
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by denver19
I remember Josh Green saying before, if you don't have a negative test, you can "call" when you receive it, and get sprung from jail.

Random dates; oy. A plan please. I heard today that Merriman's is never going to re-open. Maui (and Hawaii) is on precarious ground. Unemployment, uninsured, can't pay the rent, businesses closing and so the formerly employed will have to move back to the mainland. You cannot just keep raising GET rates and TAT rates: 15% of nothing is nothing.

We should be increasing our ability to deal with patients, inviting tested tourists, 2/3rds of the arrivals should not just bypass quarantine or testing because it is politically expedient. This isn't just rich white guys, with shut down businesses anymore that are feeling the pain. In 3 weeks the unemployment bump ends. Ige is talking about the need to furlough or lay off state and local employees. Maui High School grads with no (zero) local opportunity going to the mainland. Forget college grads on the mainland returning. Families with multiple bread winners to cover costs losing ALL there jobs. Teachers, fireman, police, all looking at cuts. Maybe you can close the road to Hana for years...

I know its super that "Shark Pit" and "Pools" aren't crowded. But this is getting real. Random dates and shifting "re-openings" are a death blow.
Couldn't agree more! Those that have seen my prior posts know that I have booked and canceled and re-booked multiple trips to Hawaii since March. I am at the point of almost no return on my Hawaii business at this point and have family that are not planning but indeed are leaving the Big Island after nearly 40 years of business there. As of now my business partner is planning on a Monday Aug 3rd arrival and testing on Friday Aug 1. It is our understanding that IF the tests isn't available then he will SIP until he obtains the test. This isn't a big deal and would be great IF this indeed how things go down. To your point, the killer is the constant moving of dates and the seeming always last minute changes. Perhaps had I know that we would still be here today I would have left for KOA last May, done the 2 week quarantine and just stayed. But Ige kept hanging out this carrot that the quarantine COULD be lifted month after month now. Frustrated like many here.....
nnn, LETTERBOY, denver19 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by slippahs
The Honolulu City Council this morning passed a resolution urging the Governor to reconsider the testing exemption to the 14-day quarantine. it's about to get real.

OMG. You should try to fix the problems you have, not those that don't exist. On Maui, we have 40% unemployment, people can't buy food, medicine, can't pay their rent, wait in line for hours for a free bag of groceries, can't feed their kids, their dogs, and on and on and on. But we have almost NO COVID!

So lets fix the economic issue, not pretend that this isolation is working, because our Covid numbers are low. When New York was in the thick of it, Gov Cuomo didn't say: "Ya, but the economy is great!" He shut the place down to attend to the health crisis. We need to attend to an economic crisis. Nobody is saying throw the doors open, hang out in crowded bars, and get UB40 over to the MAC. We are looking for measured, sane, incremental opening and that should be a plan. I have a friend who just gave his tourist catamaran back to the bank. I have others asking for small loans so they can buy their blood pressure medications. 40% of Maui has lost their health insurance. I can't count the number of friends currently packing up to return to the mainland.

And it isn't too late to start improving our local health care facilities. God knows Maui Memorial could use an upgrade. When was the last time you heard one of our local politicos talk about that. They claim to be so concerned about the health of the community, then address the really bad medical care available here on Maui. We've had 4 months to think about solutions.

Meanwhile Governor Ige, and Mayor Victorino are promising more government cheese. Just wait, and you'll get a handout! I honestly have never seen a more politicized response to a serious issue, as I am seeing here in Hawaii now.
cruisr, nnn, ksucats and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

According to the article below, Hawaii's supply of test reagents has just been halved:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ier-cuts-ties/

This is going to have an incredible impact on spread...
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Here's the article on the Council:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-restrictions/

"As mainland cases surge, City Council asks state to ‘consider’ delaying changes to travel restrictions"

“My concern is when we open our islands once again, we will be attracting visitors who will display the same kind of cavalier and irresponsible attitudes regarding the health of the public, as they’ve shown in the mainland communities in which they reside,” said Chair Emeritus Ron Menor said in a statement.

During the Council meeting, someone (I think Councilmember Pyne) mentioned something about visitors who ride turtles while on vacation in HI. Please don't ride turtles... whether in Hawaii or elsewhere.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 747FC
Sweden is the model for how not to do it.
I think you meant "how to do it".

“Sweden’s approach has been widely misrepresented as doing nothing. It’s not,” said William Hanage, associate professor of epidemiology at Harvard’s School of Public Health in Boston. Though the death rate, especially among the elderly in nursing homes, has been very high, ultimately, “Sweden’s approach may be sustainable in ways other countries’ have not proven to be,” he said.
nnn likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I think you meant "how to do it".

“Sweden’s approach has been widely misrepresented as doing nothing. It’s not,” said William Hanage, associate professor of epidemiology at Harvard’s School of Public Health in Boston. Though the death rate, especially among the elderly in nursing homes, has been very high, ultimately, “Sweden’s approach may be sustainable in ways other countries’ have not proven to be,” he said.
No, I clearly said that Sweden is not the model to which a state/city/country should aspire. Not sure why this appears to be complicated. (At least I re-read my post and it is clear to me )

Ultimately, unless someone identifies themselves to the contrary, none of us are epidemiologists who have extensively studied this.

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 8, 2020 at 10:01 pm Reason: more info
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 747FC
No, I clearly said that Sweden is not the model to which a state/city/country should aspire. Not sure why this appears to be complicated. (At least I re-read my post and it is clear to me )

Ultimately, unless someone identifies themselves to the contrary, none of us are epidemiologists who have extensively studied this.
Perhaps. But now Sweden's approach gives epidemiologists something to compare against in their models. Which means it gives epidemiologists something to do. And likely complain about incessantly anyway.

David
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

//moderator note//

Thread title changed from COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine [COVID TEST EXEMPTIONS BEG. 8/1/2020] to COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine [COVID TEST EXEMPTIONS BEG. 8/1/20??] given the the decision expected today by the Governor on whether to push back the 8/1 exemptions to quarantine with testing.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
A big non-statement from Ige just out:
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
The thread on when will Hawaii re-open for tourism itself needs to be reopened.
Rare, LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Hate to ask, but don't you need to administer both an antibody test (positive or negative) and a PCR test (negative) to confirm that a) an individual doesn't currently have CV-19 and b) even if they test positive for an antibody response?

David
Currently shedding detectable virus is an Ag test (PCR) no matter the Ab result. That is what will make or break you prior to travel.

A neg Ag and positive Ab means prior exposure and recovery.

both positive would suggest very recent infection. You can shed viral remnant for several weeks, though most experts think these persistent shedders are non-infectious.

We hope that recovered patients with a healthy Ab will have immunity and be unable to contract or pass on the virus. This remains unproven, but if so, further Ag testing would be unnecessary.

Last edited by cmculp; Jul 10, 2020 at 4:13 am Reason: Fix typo
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:29 pm

Hard to believe access to testing is still an issue ,,,

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/po...age-0#stream/0

At this point I would bet that with this and the increased case load mostly on Oahu, they are going to delay the Aug 1 date, and even if they don't the ability to get tested and get results quickly before travel seems to be more and more in jeopardy due to the increasing case load on the mainland. On the news last night, Diagnostic Labs said they would process priority test cases locally and send all others to the mainland, incurring a 9 - 10 day delay in getting results for those tests sent to the mainland. Besides that they are talking about capacity even before these cuts in the hundreds per day, not thousands per day.

If you are making plans, it would be a good idea to make sure you are able to cancel or reschedule your plans without penalty.

-David
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:41 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
There are testing shortages all across the country.

Some states were able to purchase enough testing supplies for awhile but now with new peaks in cases, they're short again.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Hard to believe access to testing is still an issue ,,,

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/po...age-0#stream/0

At this point I would bet that with this and the increased case load mostly on Oahu, they are going to delay the Aug 1 date, and even if they don't the ability to get tested and get results quickly before travel seems to be more and more in jeopardy due to the increasing case load on the mainland. On the news last night, Diagnostic Labs said they would process priority test cases locally and send all others to the mainland, incurring a 9 - 10 day delay in getting results for those tests sent to the mainland. Besides that they are talking about capacity even before these cuts in the hundreds per day, not thousands per day.

If you are making plans, it would be a good idea to make sure you are able to cancel or reschedule your plans without penalty.

-David
As others have already mentioned, the government of the State of Hawaii has not moved to enable tourism and the rest of the economy to restart because it didn't do anything/much over the past 4+ months to put an effective plan and testing protocol system in place as well as bolster a de minimus medical system to handle surges/growths in cases that were/will happen anyway. Hoping is not planning and executing.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.