Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OGG to LIH which side of the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

OGG to LIH which side of the plane?

Hello all, this is my first post here. I will be in Maui in January and flying to Kauai on Hawaiian Airlines. Can you tell me which side of the plane has the best view? I was hoping to see some of the other islands in between, and hopefully Oahu, and not necessarily just water in between.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:33 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
The West Maui Mountains will be out the left side when you take off. You kind of fly right over Molokai, with Lanai out to the left. I guess Oahu will be to the right, but I would sit on the left for the views of Maui County. I do not recall seeing much of Kauai or Niihau when landing, but I think you would get some views from either side of the plane.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
left.

David
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

I’m going to vote for the right side. The left will have nice views of Wailuku and West Maui on departure (assuming normal trade winds) and little else. See basic route below.

Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I had originally booked row 1 on the left side of the plane, then saw a video of someone on the right side flying over Oahu. Since we are not going there, I was hoping there might be an outside chance of seeing Pearl Harbor as we fly by, so I moved my seats to the right side of the plane. The majority of folks say sit on the left, I understand it is beautiful on take-off, but we are doing a helicopter ride, so hopefully that will suffice. Gonna give the right a try and hope to see the Harbor.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
As with most things, it depends on your interests. Have you flown into/out of Oahu before and seen it by air? You mentioned your are doing a helicopter ride; Where? If not in Kauai, then the HA approach to LIH with you sitting on the left side offers dramatic scenery.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

We are doing the helicopter ride in Kaui, I've flown into Oahu before, 25 years ago, but the DH hasn't and I know he would love to see Pearl Harbor, but we just weren't able to swing going to Oahu this trip,
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Frostecat
We are doing the helicopter ride in Kaui, I've flown into Oahu before, 25 years ago, but the DH hasn't and I know he would love to see Pearl Harbor, but we just weren't able to swing going to Oahu this trip,
I don’t think you can guarantee the exact flight path when flying over Oahu, so it could likely be the left or right side of the plane. Plus, who knows how cloudly it will be at or below cruise altitude. I’d pick the best side for take-off and landing, which IMHO is the left side of the plane, so you can see the West Maui mountains after you take off and the dramatic coastline as you approach Lihue airport.
747FC likes this.

Last edited by slippahs; Nov 12, 2018 at 12:08 am Reason: dang autocorrect
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:33 am
Original Poster

You know, you are probably right. More of a guarantee on the left side of the plane, than taking a shot at the right. Thanks everyone for your help and perspective.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:53 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

I’m going to vote for the right side. The left will have nice views of Wailuku and West Maui on departure (assuming normal trade winds) and little else. See basic route below.

This map does not show a route I have ever followed after taking off from Kahului. Most of the flights I have been on (except Kona wind flights) go more or less northwest after taking off and follow the coast of West Maui then head straight to Oahu or Kauai. I do not understand that segment on the map to the northeast, followed by a turn to the southwest before finally turning northwest.

Also, I would imagine the exact route right near Kauai is also not correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.