Wiki Posts
Search

Rechecking luggage at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Rechecking luggage at HNL

Hi all,

I’ll be connecting lax-hnl-syd on separate reservations (long story) on a Wednesday. My American flight from LAX gets in at 11:18 and my flight to SYD on Hawaiian leaves at 12:55. American says they can’t merge my reservations even though both booked through them (one cash, one miles). All business, have precheck, the whole nine yards. Think I’ll make it? My main concern is not getting to Hawaiian counter by 11:55 and them refusing to check my bag.

TIA
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by karolinatx
Hi all,

I’ll be connecting lax-hnl-syd on separate reservations (long story) on a Wednesday. My American flight from LAX gets in at 11:18 and my flight to SYD on Hawaiian leaves at 12:55. American says they can’t merge my reservations even though both booked through them (one cash, one miles). All business, have precheck, the whole nine yards. Think I’ll make it? My main concern is not getting to Hawaiian counter by 11:55 and them refusing to check my bag.

TIA
Sounds like trouble. Expect the worst. How about carry on bags only?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by philemer
Sounds like trouble. Expect the worst. How about carry on bags only?
+1

when you make it to the HA checkun area, be aware that there are two separate lobbies used by HA for checkin. These lobbies are next to each other. There may be a separate checkin area for your flight, and within that area, a separate line for business and elites. If you see HA personnel, quickly plead for thei “Kokua.”
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

In my few times to HNL I have found that baggage reclaim on AA can take a while .With only about 30mins from landing to the Hawaiian check in deadline it will be very tight. ( that said AA priority baggage always seemed to come off first)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Canceled that miles ticket since I was still within the 24hr window, thank goodness, and will reroute, probably through Auckland.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I know you already cancelled the trip but it is very interesting that HA says on the website that they will Interline baggage with AA but the AA website says they do NOT interline with any non-oneworld airlines.
does not make sense.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by keisari
I know you already cancelled the trip but it is very interesting that HA says on the website that they will Interline baggage with AA but the AA website says they do NOT interline with any non-oneworld airlines.
does not make sense.
AA most certainly does have an interline baggage agreement with HA. It simply will not interline across tickets. If OP were on a single ticket, AA would check the bags through to their HA destination.

AA will not even check bags across tickets on its own flights, so none of this is surprising.

Only time AA will check across tickets is when the two tickets are in the same PNR and the onward carrier is either AA online or interline to OW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.