Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Island is still open for business

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat HH
The Big Island is still open for business

Please do not cancel your plans to visit the Big Island of Hawaii. Many transportation companies including Delta have been too cautious and this is causing economic hardship on the island as many have been cancelling their vacations. The volcanic activity is on the southeastern side of the island. Kona is over 60 miles away and Mauna Loa is located between the volcano and the Kona side of the island. Any harmful gases will dissipate long before it reaches that side. Also our volcano does not blow up like Mt. St. Helens. So if you have plans to visit the Big Island in the near future please keep it.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:58 pm

According to this site, harmful levels of sulfur dioxide are present on the Kona side of the island: Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) | Vog Model

Here is a nice visualization, May 17th looks especially bad:
Old May 16, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I actually took a business trip to Hilo 30 years ago. Muskegon, Michigan with palm trees but no paper mill.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Too late. Just cancelled my trip last night, going to the Caribbean instead.
hailstorm likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:00 am

The Big Island is an amazing place.

In 2012 I took a guided lava hike with Kalapana Cultural Tours. We hiked as a group 4 miles across the most irregular surface you could imagine, lava looks so smooth from the air but it is actually incredibly irregular. The 4 miles there in the daylight and the 4 miles back in the dark were worth it because I got as close to flowing lava as I wanted.

Looking back at the pictures I can't believe how incredibly dangerous the hike was and how quickly things could have gone wrong.

Some pictures from that trip: https://www.judydonnelly.com/Travel/...i1/Big-Island/

Lava was flowing just a few feet below my feet.

Here I am just in front of the lava flow
Old May 16, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the FT Hawaii Forum
Thanks,
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old May 16, 2018, 3:09 pm

I think a lot of people go to the Big Island to see the volcano. I have been there 3 times and visited the volcano every time. I don't think I will go there just for Kona side. My guess is until the volcanic activity calm down and the park reopen, Big Island will lose many tourists to the other islands.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by planetmans
According to this site, harmful levels of sulfur dioxide are present on the Kona side of the island: Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) Vog Model

Here is a nice visualization, May 17th looks especially bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKmsOL4Dn4
Actually, that is a prediction model, and not a report of current or past activity.

Here is a link to current data (both SO2 and Particulate Matter):

Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) | Current SO2/SO4 Measurements

Note that at the time I've posted this link, SO2 in Kailua-Kona is "Acceptable," but particulate matter is "Moderate."

Anyone else think that the Hilo "missing" data is curious?
Old May 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
I live on the Kona side of the island and except for a bit of smoke in the air at time, there are no issues. As far as I'm concerned, the air in Los Angeles is a lot worse.

Yes the volcano park is closed, but there is a whole lot else to do over here.
obscure2k and muji like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ve been to hawaii prob 40-50 times ove the last 15 years..

Lets not overdramatize "economic hardships" - lodging rentals activities etc prices have been completely out of whack recently fleecing tourists at every opportunity

Drop the prices and i ll go on moment's notice - volcano 50 miles away doesnt bother me but 300+ room rate plus fees for a generic garden view room does...
muji and tatterdema like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Crazy video of Lower Puna:
Old May 19, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH Silver
All the cancellations that I keep seeing made me think that there would be a fire sale on hotels. I keep watching for my dates, and the price has only gone up, so they cannot be hurting yet on the Kohala Coast at least.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Recent updates of note to tourists:

DLNR officials have closed the Malama Ki Forest Reserve due to lava flowing into it.

The lava flow is currently heading in the general direction of MacKenzie State Park. No structures are threatened at this time.

Residents should be aware that the flow is about half a mile from Highway 137 and, at the current rate, may cross the highway within the next five to six hours.

If the lava enters the ocean, be aware of the laze hazard and stay away from ocean plume.

>> Highway 130 is open for residents only.

>> Closure may occur at any time with no notice.

>> Should the lava cross, Highway 137 will be closed to thru traffic.

>> Road blocks will be established on both sides of the roadway should the flow cross the highway.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Now that the lava has reached the sea, the newest threat is "laze", a lava-sea water generated haze that forms a hydrochloric acid mist with volcanic glass particles which has the potential to be deadly.

The wind forecast over the next several days means that the threat will be contained to the Big Island, but if the flow continues long-term, then there may be times where the laze could become a threat to Maui and Lanai.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...t-concern-laze
Old May 20, 2018, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Media are reporting that some guy was seriously injured by hot lava hitting his skin while he was outside on his third floor deck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.