Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Do you ever NOT rent a car when visiting Maui or the Big Island?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever NOT rent a car when visiting Maui or the Big Island?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:27 pm

I too always rent a car on Maui or the Big Island but after just spending a few weeks on the Big Island and dealing with the traffic, I might consider not driving and letting someone else deal with the hassles of driving and parking.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Shagboy
I too always rent a car on Maui or the Big Island but after just spending a few weeks on the Big Island and dealing with the traffic, I might consider not driving and letting someone else deal with the hassles of driving and parking.
The "Kona Krawl" is nasty, isn't it?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:24 am

Kona Krawl, nice expression, took us almost an hour to get from the airport to Alii Dr one day last week. Traffic on the Queen K was backed up from the Waimea turnoff to the Hapuna Beach hotel entrance too. Takes some of the fun away. Fewer cars would help the situation but my hopes are not high...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Have you tried the new road they built from Hina Lani to Kona? It's a little quicker when the Queen K is packed. It's ane keohokalole highway. Coming from the north you turn mauka on Hina Lani, up the hill, and turn right on ane keohokalole highway. Zips you right onto Henry St.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:45 pm

Funny, as we were headed to Costco for gas before returning the car and boarding our flight we wondered if there was a better way to get from Kona to Costco. Now you tell me! Thanks, next trip we will give it a try.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: HH Silver
The upper highway can shave a lot of time off, as long as they are not doing construction on it. I do not find the traffic on the BI anywhere near as bad as it was on Maui.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 am

With only one road between Lahaina and Kapalua the traffic is always bad.Last year there was a minor accident on the Lhaina side of the tunnel and the trip from Kaanapali to Lahaina took us well over an hour. I know a couple that was on Kauai a few years ago who turned in their car after two days because of the traffic on that island.
Traffic is not mentioned in the guide books and can be a surprise to first time visitors to Hawaii.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: HH Silver
Lol, heading to Kauai for the first time in June, thanks for the heads up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.