Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Big Island Trip with UR and SPG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Hawaii Big Island Trip with UR and SPG

Hi Folks,

I am planning a 7 night vacation to Big Island Hawaii in November 2017 with my wife. I have 120k in UR points and 80K in SPG points. I need some help planning the trip.

I am in Boston, MA.

1. What would be the best airline redemption from Boston with UR/SPG points?
I was thinking of booking united flights via singapore airlines in business class, I prefer business class, as it is a long flight.

2. Which hotel/resort should we look for in big island for points redemption?
I was thinking of transferring the SPG points to Marriott and book 7 nights with them.

3. Also is November a good time to redeem the points?

Thanks in Advance
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jitu99
Hi Folks,

I am planning a 7 night vacation to Big Island Hawaii in November 2017 with my wife. I have 120k in UR points and 80K in SPG points. I need some help planning the trip.

I am in Boston, MA.

1. What would be the best airline redemption from Boston with UR/SPG points?
I was thinking of booking united flights via singapore airlines in business class, I prefer business class, as it is a long flight.

I was thinking of transferring the SPG points to Marriott and book 7 nights with them.

Thanks in Advance
Before you start worrying about the "best" redemption, I suggest you see how many options you actually have for your desired dates in Business/First.

By far, the best deal for premium-cabin redemption between the Mainland and Hawaii would be using KE miles for lowest-tier award seats on AS or DL. Whether you can find lowest-tier award seats on those carriers to Hawaii when you want to go is another question.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that info. I will looking into the KE miles option
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jitu99

Thanks in Advance
First off, I agree with guv1976, Korean miles are probably your best bet, although availability may be scarce.

As far as hotels, there's a couple options, but all are pretty expensive in points. The Kona side has the Hilton and Marriott Waikoloa hotels which are your typical Hawaiian resorts with dolphin training, golf, massage, snorkeling trips, etc. If you want more luxury there's the Fairmont, but that's not really a points option. The most affordable hotel points-wise is the Courtyard Kona Beach hotel. The Sheraton Princess Kona is also an option, but doesn't have a beach.

If you want to venture to the Hilo side for a view days there's the brand new Doubletree Naniloa Hotel which can make a good base for visiting Volcano National Park and the rest of the eastern coast.

If you're going in early/mid-November it should be a good time for points redemptions, especially this far out, but if you'll be there over Thanksgiving I'd book sooner rather than later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.