Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED "Layover at HNL; What to Do?" Thread (Pre-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Posts from 2016 and onward may be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1818122-consolidated-layover-hnl-what-do-thread-2016-onward.html
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVED "Layover at HNL; What to Do?" Thread (Pre-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by serfty
Actually I'm tossing ideas into the breeze and seeing where they land.

I was more thinking about the $10 airport car park.
That probably would work... but have you tried contacting the ShowerTree to see what they might have?
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by serfty
Actually I'm tossing ideas into the breeze and seeing where they land. I was more thinking about the $10 airport car park.
I'll second slippahs, shower tree, plus it would probably be about equal as a car rental and parking. Check it out. There's lots of talk here in FT about ShowerTree in HNL.

Since they closed the airport and took out the airport sleep and shower place, you really don't have much choice for you situation. Sit outside all night, use shower tree, rent a car and hit the night life or such, or get a room.

In my older ages, I'd be afraid I'd oversleep in the car and miss my flight
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: ual
HNL 3hr Layover on (NFL) Sunday

Silly me booked our return flights from our hawaiian honeymoon on the first sunday of the NFL season. Oops!

From what I've read on the HNL layover thread, we won't be able to leave the airport in our 3 hour window.

Is there any good place (food, beers, good tvs, can stake out a table easily) to watch football in the airport? The only hawaii airport I've been to is Kona and I'm hoping HNL is a little more substantial.

Or, should we look into buying a daypass to an airline lounge (rather not spend the money)? I've never been in an airport lounge -- would this be a good place to watch football (we're very calm/quiet fans)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It's your honeymoon. Skip the game
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by haustian
Silly me booked our return flights from our hawaiian honeymoon on the first sunday of the NFL season. Oops!
No TiVo?

Anyway, welcome to the Hawaii forum on Flyertalk, haustian!

Yeah, there are lots of bars in HNL where you can watch the game, get a beer, and order some food. No worries. Since we fly HA, our bars with TVs - when we're not watching in the Premiere Club lounge - are located between gates 26 and 30. You'll find a couple of bars with TVs close to your gates, as well, I'm sure.

Lots of Hawai'ians in the NFL. Be sure to cheer them on!

Aloha, and congrats on your nuptuals!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
An airline lounge would be an excellent place to watch the game. A day pass to the DL lounge costs only $25 IIRC, which is the cheapest available of all the club networks.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...pass/index.jsp

There is a TV in there, but only one, so getting it might be a little tough. Of course, there are at least two bars that I know of in HNL with TVs--one in the central concourse of the domestic terminal and the other in the interisland terminal.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: ual
Thanks!

This is good news...Like I said, my only Hawaii airport reference point is Kona. Sounds like HNL has many more options! woooo.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:43 am

Consolidated: "Less than 12 Hour Layover at Honolulu Airport, What to Do?" Thread

I will arrive in Hon after an overnight flight from Narita, arriving at 9:30AM. I depart at 5:20PM for Minn and then on to Boston. I was wondering what to do with the 8 hours. I will be pretty knocked out after the night flight and have another long flight coming up so was thinking about taking a hotel to rest a bit. Are there any airport hotels where this would be possible, without the hassle of going into and out of town. (I don't know Hon. at all) Or, if I had the energy, would there be some non-strenuous tourist things to do and still get me back to the airport in time for the checkin, which I assume would be around 3:30.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Joe
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you are on a through ticket (and perhaps even not) you can check your bags after clearing customs but before leaving the customs hall.

I've done this transit two times (NRT-HNL-SEA). The airport hotel is pretty grungy and the WC is too. The first time (by myself), I took the bus into town. Actually took the bus to Sam Choy's on Nimitz Highway for lunch, then across the street to Hilo Hatties. Had enough time on my transfer to get to Waikiki and walk around for a bit before coming back.

2nd time with my GF, we rented a car, drove to Sam Choy's/Hilo Hatties, then out past Diamond head to the east side of the island before driving back over, checking out a Japanese cemetery, before heading back to WC for lots of time before our flight to SEA.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Joe747
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
NW? Try the Hawaii board.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:34 am

If its your only trip to Hawaii, Arizona Memorial is the must. The 20 bus towards Pearlridge will take you there. Warning: SEE THE HAWAII BOARD FOR THE MEMORIAL RULES & DETAILS!!!!

Last edited by KenfromDE; Aug 21, 2007 at 12:08 pm
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Once we took the public bus into Waikiki and walked around there. Another time, we took the bus to the Ala Moana shopping center. Very pleasant!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta
I live in the Osaka area and have often been through HNL on my way to the States. Once I had a longer layover like yours, though my departure wasn't until 9:00PM. That time, I rented a car and drove around the island clockwise, starting at the North Shore and ending in Waikiki. It was wonderful! A great transition from Japan. However, I enjoy driving and I've been to Hawaii many times and basically know my way around. Still, once I started driving, I woke up and really enjoyed myself. I was refreshed when I got back on the plane and slept pretty well (considering that it's an airplane) on the second overnight flight. You could easily drive to the North Shore for wandering around and have lunch, or you could go in the direction of Diamond Head and come back to Waikiki for lunch. Anyway, I recommend getting out and about and clearing your head, rather than going somewhere for a nap.

Maybe later in this thread, I'll post my experiences about how to get through HNL customs quickly and into a rental car. On this kind of layover, time is valuable.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by nishimark
I live in the Osaka area and have often been through HNL on my way to the States.
Hi, nishimark:

Actually, once you land at HNL, you are in "the States". The 50th one, to be exact.

You were indeed, on your way to the mainland. ^

Aloha!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by kaukau
Hi, nishimark:

Actually, once you land at HNL, you are in "the States". The 50th one, to be exact.

You were indeed, on your way to the mainland. ^

Aloha!
Sorry, I should have thought before I wrote! When you live in Japan you tend to think of Hawaii as something other than the US. I've had many Japanese people tell me that they've "never been to America" only to find out later that they've been to Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.