Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at HNL, What to Do?" Thread (2016 and Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Older posts may be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/727626-consolidated-layover-hnl-what-do-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Layover at HNL, What to Do?" Thread (2016 and Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:44 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
What is the best place to eat dinner at HNL? The airport web page appears to show no full-service restaurants, and I really don't see much near the airport either. We will be checking out from Turtle Bay and catching a red-eye flight. I was hoping to find a decent place for dinner without going into Honolulu or Waikiki.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 4, 2017 at 6:17 am Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Try Nico’s Pier 38. It is a local favorite seafood place a short cab ride from airport.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Nico's is good, but can also go into Chinatown, which isn't a lot farther and has a bunch of options.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Try Nico’s Pier 38. It is a local favorite seafood place a short cab ride from airport.
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Nico's is good, but can also go into Chinatown, which isn't a lot farther and has a bunch of options.
Thanks--I had seen Nico's--maybe we'll head there.

So I guess there'e really just snacks at the airport? We're flying Delta, and it sounds as if there'e not exactly meal-worthy food in the lounge.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Maglev
Thanks--I had seen Nico's--maybe we'll head there.

So I guess there'e really just snacks at the airport? We're flying Delta, and it sounds as if there'e not exactly meal-worthy food in the lounge.
There are a few sit down places. Kona Brewing Co. and the PGA Grill spring to mind as those are the gates I usually fly out of. Check out map here, terminalmaps.hawaii.gov:8080/hmaps/hnl, click on Food and Beverage and it shows you where each place is.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: Delta
Will you have a car and return it to the rental place at HNL just before departure? If so, that gives you a lot of options.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by nishimark
Will you have a car and return it to the rental place at HNL just before departure? If so, that gives you a lot of options.
This is a good question. If you will have a car it opens up lots of choices.
Maybe Ko Olina?
Try to avoid driving to airport between 3PM and 6:30PM or the option will be sitting in traffic.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:16 pm

Thanks for the replies! It's good to know that there are some sit-down options at the airport.

We will be returning a rental car, and it will be a Saturday so rush-hour traffic shouldn't be too bad.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta
I often have a long layover in HNL flying from Asia to the US. During those, I typically rent a car and drive around the island for the day. Before returning it to the airport, I will stop in Waikiki for dinner. The Royal Hawaiian parking garage will give you very cheap parking if you buy something at the Royal Hawaiian shopping center. I just go to the ABC store and get something small, then my parking rate is reduced to a few bucks. Since that garage is centrally located, you can go anywhere on the strip, where there must be a hundred choices for a restaurant. From the garage back to HNL rental car facility takes about 30 minutes. Anyway, it works for me. As noted above, another great option would be Ko Olina. Within 30 minutes or so of the airport by car are many, many choices.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nishimark
I often have a long layover in HNL flying from Asia to the US. During those, I typically rent a car and drive around the island for the day. Before returning it to the airport, I will stop in Waikiki for dinner. The Royal Hawaiian parking garage will give you very cheap parking if you buy something at the Royal Hawaiian shopping center. I just go to the ABC store and get something small, then my parking rate is reduced to a few bucks. Since that garage is centrally located, you can go anywhere on the strip, where there must be a hundred choices for a restaurant. From the garage back to HNL rental car facility takes about 30 minutes. Anyway, it works for me. As noted above, another great option would be Ko Olina. Within 30 minutes or so of the airport by car are many, many choices.
Or go to the Waikiki Parking Garage on Seaside, halfway between Kalakaua and Kuhio. It is right beside the entrance to the Ross store. You can validate your parking ticket at Ross for 2 hours free parking.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
6 hrs in HNL

6 hours of free time max layover, next week. What can I see in the middle of the day and still get back?
I know the memorial is closed.
Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
The only REAL Palace in the United States. Iolani Palace - Royal Residence of rulers of Kingdom of Hawaii. 964 South King Street, Honolulu. www.iolanipalace.org
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Keep in mind traffic to/from the airport can be horrific.
Iolani Palace is cool.
Punchbowl crater and the National Cemetery within is impressive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...of_the_Pacific

What do you like? How are you planning on getting around?

Might be worth a stroll around some of the Waikiki hotels. The Hilton Hawaiian and the Royal Hawaiian are well known. See the penguins at the HH, drinks at the Royal Hawaiian. See the Duke Statue.
Like Nature? The hike to Moana Falls is easy and nice. The Pali Lookout is cool, great view of the north side of the island.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Keep in mind traffic to/from the airport can be horrific.
Iolani Palace is cool.
Punchbowl crater and the National Cemetery within is impressive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...of_the_Pacific

What do you like? How are you planning on getting around?

Might be worth a stroll around some of the Waikiki hotels. The Hilton Hawaiian and the Royal Hawaiian are well known. See the penguins at the HH, drinks at the Royal Hawaiian. See the Duke Statue.
Like Nature? The hike to Moana Falls is easy and nice. The Pali Lookout is cool, great view of the north side of the island.
I was going to uber all over. I live on the beach here, but as you very well know, we have no mountains here in FL. So I was thinking somewhere just to see the scenery. Pali sounds great maybe grab lunch at a local place. The Korean BBQ in the other thread sounded cool or some other local flair.

The palace is close to the airport as well.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There’s a terrific lookout at Punchbowl Crater that offers a panoramic view of Honolulu. Between that and solemnity and serenity of the cemetery, it would make a nice stop. I’ll bet if you asked your Uber driver to take you to his/her favorite plate lunch place and bought them lunch, they would be more than happy to let you loiter a bit off the clock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.