Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

2014 - 2021 Consolidated "F/J/C to/from Hawaii - questions & observations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2021, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
The current thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2035859-2021-onwards-consolidated-f-j-c-hawaii-questions-observations-thread.html
Print Wikipost

2014 - 2021 Consolidated "F/J/C to/from Hawaii - questions & observations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Are these seats as bad as I'm reading, or would they pass muster for an 8 hour run? 6'2" 200lb."

Hard to say. You certainly won't be flopping around in that seat. But a little snugness in the seat might come in handy, since it's an angled lie-flat seat.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Hard to say. You certainly won't be flopping around in that seat. But a little snugness in the seat might come in handy, since it's an angled lie-flat seat.
LOL
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Opinions on best first class from TLH to HNL

AA is in the middle of fleet reconfiguration and you could end up with the prized lay flat bed seats with all aisle access on your isle flights. Eventually all AA A321Ts, 763s,772s and 777 will have it along with the US A332 and A333 birds. IIRC Some 752s will get them as well.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:22 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the Hawaii forum has a consolidated thread on the topic of best airline choices to the 50th State, I'll move this thread to that forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BA Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976

"Are these seats as bad as I'm reading, or would they pass muster for an 8 hour run? 6'2" 200lb."

I haven't flown AA's 767 to Hawaii but I have flown on them to London and Madrid. While not the greatest seat my 6'3" 275lb frame fits in the seat quite ok. Angle flat is better than coach...
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by catmndu
I haven't flown AA's 767 to Hawaii but I have flown on them to London and Madrid. While not the greatest seat my 6'3" 275lb frame fits in the seat quite ok. Angle flat is better than coach...
Thank you Sir for the input.
For better or worse, it's looking like the AF seats are gonna have to suffice. Dug into it a little today, and unless I'm missing something, the jump in $ from AA's angle flats to Delta's lie flat seating on this flight is substantial. Of course, so would be the comfort..

As for coach.. made a promise to myself in regards to that a long time ago..
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Independent
Where are you flying from?

If you are already in the US, try looking for a cheap flight to the west coast, where prices to HNL are often much cheaper. You might need to do an overnight, but that also means you dont have to deal with a red eye, either.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:13 pm

Option # 1 American Airlines MD80 FC out of Jacksonville, FL connecting in DFW on 767 with angle flat seating to Honolulu. $2,278.00

Option #2 Delta MD80 FC out of Tallahassee, FL connecting in ATL with Airbus A333 Flat bed seating to Honolulu. $2,897.00

Time in transit, connections, and distance from me to the aforementioned airports are all similar enough it's not worth factoring in.

Any of you frequent flyers care to chime in with any opinions?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jmneill
Option # 1 American Airlines MD80 FC out of Jacksonville, FL connecting in DFW on 767 with angle flat seating to Honolulu. $2,278.00

Option #2 Delta MD80 FC out of Tallahassee, FL connecting in ATL with Airbus A333 Flat bed seating to Honolulu. $2,897.00

Time in transit, connections, and distance from me to the aforementioned airports are all similar enough it's not worth factoring in.

Ah, the $619 question.....

As you stated that you might want to break up your trip a bit (although it's still a fairly lengthy nonstop trip from DFW to HNL), I'd be inclined to lean toward AA.....

However, then again, as I believe you reside in the TLH area, DL might be more convenient rather than having to spend some time on I-10 east (I greatly prefer to fly out of LFT, my home airport, but have been known to slog over to MSY on I-10 or U.S. 90 although I'd rather not do so).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Is that the RT price? For an extra $300 each way, getting a nice bit of kip in the flat beds by doing it all in one slog, rather than less sleep (because of breaking it up more) in a less comfortable angle flat makes it an easy choice for me. I'd definitely go with Delta.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

Since you're tall 6'2" - I'd spend the extra and go with DL lie-flat out of ATL. You'll particularly enjoy it on the red-eye home. We've been on AA's 763's from DFW (and ORD) numerous times over the years, but at 5'8" and 150lbs - their angled lie flat are comfy. Either way, as mentioned is more comfy than economy on that long haul.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:23 pm

My thanks to you folks for taking the time to share your experiences and advice ..and for tipping the scales in favor of DL's lie-flats. In the overall scheme of things the cost difference is negligible, and there can be no long hours of regret trapped in a seat that "might" have been comfortable.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
In case you missed it there has been a few reports recently in the AA 767 CIP thread about people getting the new CIP 767s on the DFW-HNL route which of course has the lie flats

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ussion-92.html

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Mar 4, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
In case you missed it there has been a few reports recently in the AA 767 CIP thread about people getting the new CIP 767s on the DFW-HNL route which of course has the lie flats

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ussion-92.html
Thank you for sharing. For clarification, to what does CIP refer?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
CIP= Cabin Improvement Program. "These aircraft are being refurbished for just one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes".

The wiki in the link goes into all the details. Also the first post on the first page of that thread has a nice video showing the changes.

I believe also I read there have been occasional DFW-OGG flights as well with the new interiors but don't count on it. Its a crap shoot at this point if your 767 aircraft gets swapped out for the CIP 767 going to Hawaii. Be aware also the this new layout of the 767-323ER has 2 fewer F seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.