Wiki Posts
Search

Beach at Waikiki still vanishing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any
Beach at Waikiki still vanishing?

Some time back, a poster here shared a link to a Honolulu newspaper article that described the erosion of the beach at Waikiki; photos were included. The newspaper article indicated that dredging and refurbishing of the sand would be undertaken, possibly by (if I recollect correctly) the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers.

Is there a recent update to the situation?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by JohnWM
Some time back, a poster here shared a link to a Honolulu newspaper article that described the erosion of the beach at Waikiki; photos were included. The newspaper article indicated that dredging and refurbishing of the sand would be undertaken, possibly by (if I recollect correctly) the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers.

Is there a recent update to the situation?
Completed by early last summer. Sometime in June as I recall. Added several feet to beautiful Waikiki. Yes this has to be done periodically.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any
Thanks!

Thanks, davesam12, for the update. I am almost at the point of planning a trip to Hawaii, and Waikiki without sand would cancel out any reason to visit at all.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JohnWM
Thanks, davesam12, for the update. I am almost at the point of planning a trip to Hawaii, and Waikiki without sand would cancel out any reason to visit at all.
The state of Hawaii will never let the beach disappear. It's an ongoing battle, and nature will eventually win, but not for many many years to come.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by JamesHNL
The state of Hawaii will never let the beach disappear. It's an ongoing battle, and nature will eventually win, but not for many many years to come.
^ Absolutely. Waikiki - love it or leave it (as occasionally debated here ) we happen to absolutely adore it. Is one of the most famous, iconic, historic beach fronts in the world. Dredging, refurbishing as warranted will continue over the years to preserve it. And Mahalo!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I may have gotten this wrong, but the beach erodes away in the central Waikiki area (near the Sheraton, Moana, etc) but grows down by Ft. DeRussy and the Hilton.

I was last there in November and it did appear they had done work not only to the beach/sand, but also the the retaining walls. My favorite rock to sit on in the water had been moved
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I may have gotten this wrong, but the beach erodes away in the central Waikiki area (near the Sheraton, Moana, etc) but grows down by Ft. DeRussy and the Hilton.

I was last there in November and it did appear they had done work not only to the beach/sand, but also the the retaining walls. My favorite rock to sit on in the water had been moved
Mary -- that's interesting and makes sense. The beach refurb /dredging done last year appeared to us to just be done from the retaining walls at Kuhio beach down to the Royal Hawaiian which would be considered central/main Waikiki. I don't think they did work further east at Kapiolani beach, Queen's Surf up to the Aquarium. I could be wrong? Yes, the Ft. DeRussy / HHV beaches never seem to have an erosion problem. Sorry you lost your rock!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: UA1K
The beach right in front of the Halekulani had the worst of the beach erosion of the Waikiki hotels. The other hotels had enough sand, especially the Hilton Hawaiian Village; less so as you move towards Diamond Head side from the Halekulani.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.