Search

Maui: Marriott Wailea or Hyatt?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 7:20 pm
hts
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Maui: Marriott Wailea or Hyatt?

I'm taking my girlfriend to Maui next month and just wondering which property we'll be happier at--the Marriott in Wailea or the Hyatt in Kaanapali?

Last time I was in Maui we stayed at the Grand Wailea and it was a very nice property. I'm Marriott Plat with 1m+ points, so the Marriott isn't an issue--I'd have to trade/buy the Hyatt, which I don't mind doing if it's that much nicer--it just doesn't look to be from their website.

For the record, we chose the Hyatt in Kauai last summer over the island Marriott and were very pleased with the property.

We'll have a car and plan to be out and about (ie, we're not planning to spend more than 1-2 hours/day max lying about the pool) every day.

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2013, 10:46 pm

I think the easiest way to decide on which place to stay is to determine which area interests you the most: Kaanapali or Wailea.

The Marriott will have less kids than the Hyatt, and it's not as big.
Personally, I'd choose the Marriott since the Hyatt is undergoing construction (new timeshare buildings IIRC). If you're booking with points, do it a few hours ago because its moving categories. Tonight, or now.

You may want to consider the Marriott timeshare property on Kaanapali proper. Plus the airport Courtyard if you're arriving on the ~8PM flight.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I think the easiest way to decide on which place to stay is to determine which area interests you the most: Kaanapali or Wailea.
This is excellent advice. By and large, Wailea is more upscale and secluded, while Kaanipali is more touristy but with more nearby activities. If you're only going to spend a couple of hours a day at your resort, what will you be doing the rest of the time? Lahaina is a hub of activity, which Kaanipali is much more convenient to. But if you're planning to drive up Haleakala, do the road to Hana, etc. it doesn't matter so much where your hotel is.

If it's a tiebreaker, I will say that the Wailea Marriott treats platinums very, very well. It's right next door to the Grand Wailea, so you already know the area. In recent years the customer service at the Marriott has far surpassed the Grand (IMHO), and the facilities at the Grand have similarly declined in upkeep. They've done a better job with the Marriott; it really is as nice as the pictures online.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:21 am
hts
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Thanks guys. I've already booked the week (210k points) at the Marriott, but was just having second thoughts. You've both confirmed my initial thoughts, so I think we'll stick with the Marriott Wailea. Mahalo.

Last edited by hts; May 16, 2013 at 8:23 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Great choice. Very nice part of Maui. And you can still drive over to Lahaina for one of afternoons/dinner.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by hts
Thanks guys. I've already booked the week (210k points) at the Marriott, but was just having second thoughts. You've both confirmed my initial thoughts, so I think we'll sick with the Marriott Wailea. Mahalo.
Enjoy the adults only endless pool. Enchanting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.