Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Getting a Cheap Rental Car (<$10/d) in Honolulu

I have seen several threads on this forum, as well as other fora on this and other bulletin boards, alluding to the ability to get a rental car for less than $10 (base rate) per day.

I wonder how I can obtain this rate - for July 6 - we will be staying at the Honolulu Hawaiian Village Hilton.

Can we drop off the car 24 hrs later at the airport, without supplementary drop off fees, or extra mileage fees? (for the 2 adults and 1 10 yr old in our party, I guess that the extra hotel overnight parking fee [if we keep the car overnight, rather than return it to the original rental location on the same day as the rental] will be more than outweighed by the extra one-way taxi fee to the airport?).
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:04 pm

Well, I'll await results from those more savy than me. I find on looking that your date yields more expensive than normal rates, and I'm seeing about $35 a day starting base rates. I usually begin with these and then either look for a Kamaaina discount or use the car rental forum to scour the discount codes (some of which work very well, but not THAT well).
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have seen several threads on this forum, as well as other fora on this and other bulletin boards, alluding to the ability to get a rental car for less than $10 (base rate) per day.

I wonder how I can obtain this rate - for July 6 - we will be staying at the Honolulu Hawaiian Village Hilton.

Can we drop off the car 24 hrs later at the airport, without supplementary drop off fees, or extra mileage fees? (for the 2 adults and 1 10 yr old in our party, I guess that the extra hotel overnight parking fee [if we keep the car overnight, rather than return it to the original rental location on the same day as the rental] will be more than outweighed by the extra one-way taxi fee to the airport?).

If you are only going to be in one day, and you will not need your car to drive around Honolulu, I strongly suggest taking the Waikiki shuttle.

It will be $15 dollars r/t per adult (not sure what it is per child) which is a pretty good deal.

Since you are staying at the Hilton you are at the end of the hotel area closest to the airport so you will probably be the first dropped off.

If you are interested, when exiting the baggage claim on the Arrivals level just look for the sign that says Waikiki Shuttle.

I really doubt you will get something around 10 per day unless you want to listen to some timeshare presentation. Taxes and fees alone will be more than 10 dollars not to mention hotel parking fees.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
You're right on the HHV parking fees. They're pretty expensive ($16/night for self parking).

However, the Waikiki shuttle operated by Robert's Hawaii called the Airport Waikiki Express is actually $14 r/t:
http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/h...ound_trans.htm
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You might find my post on another thread helpful
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...94&postcount=5

Two things:

a) I'm with Mateo4321in that you'll not find a $10 base rate these days; tourism is too good right now.

b) For three of you, I would not take the Waikiki Express. The adult fare for 2 of $28 is about the same as cab fare. The one time I did the Waikiki Express (and was staying at the Hilton) we made 5 stops BEFORE the Hilton and there were 13 stops after mine) it took over an hour including the time waiting for the bus and then the many stops. Taxis can be had virtually instantly.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Have you tried rent-a-wreck?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:20 pm

Car rental while at the Marriott Waikiki?

we are staying at the Marriott waikiki for a week in february...thinking of renting a car for a few days....any place you can recommend nearby (within walking distance?)....does it make sense to just have a car the last few days of our trip and then return it to the airport? I think we are planning to get a car service/taxi as there are 5 of us (3 kids) and it would cost the same as the airport shuttle....any thoughts appreciated

Theresa
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Need a RAC agency walking distance from the hotel?

Call the concierge.

Don't forget to add 15USD per day for self-parking.

There may be a large airport drop fee if you rent in town.

Good luck. Bon voyage.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:10 pm

thanks...I may call the concierge before we go
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:15 pm

Great rental place

We used this place to get a great price on a car for Hawaii.

http://www.carrentalinhawaii.com/fleetinfo.htm

We are picking up the car at the airport and returning it there also. We added up the price of the shuttle from the airport to the hotel and decided we would save money. However, our hotel is charging us $18 for parking. I was thinking of just getting the car for a few days but decided to splurge and keep it for the week.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:33 pm

Car-Bus Combo

Originally Posted by Brudda
We used this place to get a great price on a car for Hawaii.

http://www.carrentalinhawaii.com/fleetinfo.htm

We are picking up the car at the airport and returning it there also. We added up the price of the shuttle from the airport to the hotel and decided we would save money. However, our hotel is charging us $18 for parking. I was thinking of just getting the car for a few days but decided to splurge and keep it for the week.
If money is an object, a driver can return the car to the airport and take the bus back for $2 ($1 if holder of a Medicare card); then go back and get the car for the same $2. Any 19 or 20 with Waikiki on the flag will make the trip in about 1 hour.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have some advice here on the topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...94&postcount=5
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
There's a lot of great places to see outside Waikiki, so I would recommend a car rental. I must say that cblaisd's advice is a good one linked in the thread above. ^
Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
agree with slippahs - absolutely get a car

get out and see the island unless your only dreams of hawaii are that of a large, touristic city - honolulu and enjoy an occassional crowded bus tour

there's so much beauty you can see on your own with a car: Pali Lookout, H-3, Hanauma Bay, Halona Cove and Blowhole, Bellows Beach, Lanikai Beach, Kailua Beach, Byodo-In Temple, Kualoa Park, Chinaman's Hat, Kualoa Ranch, Laie Point, Turtle Bay, Sunset Beach, Waimea Beach, Audobon Garden, Haleiwa town, Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl, Tantalus Dr, and so on and so on...

there's a hertz rental inside the Marriott Waikiki (K-tower) - but get there early in the day as it always seemed crowded in the mornings

another option which I always do is priceline a rental at HNL. past 2 yrs, I've gotten both an SUV and a mini-van ranging from $25 to $35 per day. check biddingfortravel.com for recent winning rates.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:39 am

thanks for all the great info....I think I will try priceline for a minvan/suv...if I can get a deal on it then it will be worth it even with the parking fees

Theresa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.