Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:18 am

Programs: Delta
Most convenient car rental at HNL?

I've got a 12-hour layover in HNL (arrive international, transfer to domestic) and am thinking about renting a car to take a drive to the North Shore, or somewhere. Since time is precious and I don't want to waste it waiting in line for a car, which car rental company do you think is the most efficient in terms of check-in and check-out?

To get airline miles, my choices are reduced to Alamo, Dollar, National, and Thrifty. A search of the forum implies that Alamo can have long lines. What about Dollar? I've signed up for their Express program. Should I walk from customs across the street, or catch a shuttle?

I'm planning to take a shower at the Shower Tree either at the beginning or end of the day. Since they are close to the Alamo lot, would it make sense to go with Alamo?

Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Presumably you're arriving early in the morning? Getting a car doesn't seem to be too much of a problem until mid-morning when the inter-state domestic flights arrive.

I don't remember where Alamo has moved to but they used to be located further away from the terminal (walkable but a bit away). Renting was easy when there was Quicksilver but that's gone. You can walk across the parking lot to the sister National location.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Presumably you're arriving early in the morning? Getting a car doesn't seem to be too much of a problem until mid-morning when the inter-state domestic flights arrive.

I don't remember where Alamo has moved to but they used to be located further away from the terminal (walkable but a bit away). Renting was easy when there was Quicksilver but that's gone. You can walk across the parking lot to the sister National location.
Yes, I arrive at about 9:30am. Last time I used Alamo, they were located about a mile or so away, near the freeway. Maybe that time of day won't be a problem with lines. But, I'd rather be able to just pick up my key and go.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It seems to me that you've got two incompatibles here: if you want to be on your way the quickest, then rent from whatever onsite company gives you status and just walk across the street.

But if you are needing the Alamo's shuttle for the ShowerTree, then it seems that's your limiting factor. If you have Quicksilver status, you can at least get in the shorter line.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:34 pm

Thanks again for the help. The Shower Tree stop will probably be at the end of the day, so maybe I can just pull up and park in front before returning the rental car.

Do you (or anyone) happen to know if Dollar is right across the street from customs/baggage claim? They say that they are "in-terminal", but I'm not sure what that means.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

You won't be able to park, iirc, in front of the Shower Tree. Nimitz is a 4 lane very trafficed almost-highway. You should be able to park on one of the side streets nearby (like the one Alamo is on?)

All of the car "in-terminal" car rental places are in an "infield" area directly across from the main terminal. I've only dealt with Budget and Hertz but you walk right across from the right-hand (mauka) end of the terminal into the car rental area for those two. You can also take the shuttle, but it loops around and adds 5 minutes. I don't know where one disembarks from customs, but the walkway over to Budget et al is outside of the United (I'm pretty sure) baggage claim. I'm ready to be corrected on any of this by Honolulul kama`aina.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:09 am

Customs is on the opposite side of United baggage claim, close to the Aloha/Hawaiian terminal. In an earlier thread, Slippahs said that one could walk to the rental car areas within the airport site via a tunnel that goes under the street. I'll probably use that route.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:30 am

Hertz is probably (usually) more expensive, but that is what i have used and it is a couple hundred feet across the street from the terminal with a few other companies in the "infield" as described by a previous post. Don't get on the shuttle bus, just walk - I got on the shuttle bust first time and drove around and ended up 250 feet from where I started.

Circling the island is certainly doable in an afternoon, but just be aware that if it is a weekend, you can actually run into traffic on the North Shore as you drive around.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nishimark
I'm planning to take a shower at the Shower Tree either at the beginning or end of the day. Since they are close to the Alamo lot, would it make sense to go with Alamo?
I'd definitely go with Alamo. Not only for the convenience of being close to the Shower Tree, but also because they usually have the best rates at HNL.

And sign up for Quicksilver so you can use the much shorter line.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
You won't be able to park, iirc, in front of the Shower Tree. Nimitz is a 4 lane very trafficed almost-highway.
Actually, you can park in front of the Shower Tree. There are several parking spots underneath the upper deck of the Nimitz.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by nishimark
Customs is on the opposite side of United baggage claim, close to the Aloha/Hawaiian terminal. In an earlier thread, Slippahs said that one could walk to the rental car areas within the airport site via a tunnel that goes under the street. I'll probably use that route.
That's true. Though there are two underground tunnels that lead you beneath the main roadway from baggage claim. One leads to the parking garage and the deserted bank. The other leads you to an open-air parking lot where most of the rental car desks are a hop away.

The tunnel you're looking for, should you decide to rent from one of these places, is closest to the United baggage claim. So if arriving internationally, when you exit the customs area, take a right and head all the way down until you see escalators heading both down and up on the right hand side, then take the escalators heading down, which will lead you to the tunnel.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I strongly advise against using Alamo unless you're a Quicksilver member - and - you call them in advance to make sure their kiosk is still working, otherwise you could easily spend more than an hour waiting for your car if you arrive at a busy time.

If you're a member of Emerald Club or #1 Club Gold, it's worthwhile spending abit more on the rental (search FT for good codes) and saving time at the counter.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I strongly advise against using Alamo unless you're a Quicksilver member - and - you call them in advance to make sure their kiosk is still working, otherwise you could easily spend more than an hour waiting for your car if you arrive at a busy time.
I would second that advice. And unless something has changed in the last 3 months, there is no kiosk, just a dedicated line. The last time I rented from Alamo there were at least 100 people in the regular line and half a dozen in the Quicksilver line. Even the latter took 30 minutes.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by slippahs
The tunnel you're looking for, should you decide to rent from one of these places, is closest to the United baggage claim. So if arriving internationally, when you exit the customs area, take a right and head all the way down until you see escalators heading both down and up on the right hand side, then take the escalators heading down, which will lead you to the tunnel.
IIRC, it is between the "G" (Green Signs) and "H" (Gold Signs) Sections of the Baggage Claim area. I've rented from both Hertz and National at HNL; both are very easy if you have an express membership.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:55 pm

Thanks all for the great advice! I agree that Alamo can be bad. Last time I was there (11/05), Quicksilver was just a counter inside the main building that seemed to be unmanned. Since it's only a half day and time is more important than money, I'll probably go with Hertz or National. If things go well, I can have a late breakfast in Haleiwa.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
...Actually, you can park in front of the Shower Tree. There are several parking spots underneath the upper deck of the Nimitz.
I happily stand corrected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.