Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Didn't see this posted here, but I nearly went into shock when I saw the $84 fee charged at the HNL location for improvements to the rental buildings. I didn't notice it before when I moved here, but I also used points for several week rentals while waiting for my car to arrive.

I need to rent a car for a week, and the rates were pretty cheap - $125 for a mid size - then I saw the total of nearly $300 - a chunk of it the $84 fee.

I looked at local rentals, and their rates are much higher. I was cheaper to rent at the airport. If you can believe it.
It is unusual for a rental at HNL to be cheaper than off-airport rentals.
You must factor the cost of parking into the car rental. These charges can be as much as $50 or $60/night.
We rent a car for a day at the Budget/Avis booth in the International Market Place. Rent at 8am, use car, and return the car by parking it at the market place anytime before 8am the next day. There is a drop box for paperwork, keys, and parking ticket located in front of the security office for the market place. One day rental through Costco is ~ $67, including all fees and taxes.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Didn't see this posted here, but I nearly went into shock when I saw the $84 fee charged at the HNL location for improvements to the rental buildings.
Is this new? My Avis rentals over last few years didn't have anything close to this much.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by dlaue
It is unusual for a rental at HNL to be cheaper than off-airport rentals.
You must factor the cost of parking into the car rental. These charges can be as much as $50 or $60/night.
We rent a car for a day at the Budget/Avis booth in the International Market Place. Rent at 8am, use car, and return the car by parking it at the market place anytime before 8am the next day. There is a drop box for paperwork, keys, and parking ticket located in front of the security office for the market place. One day rental through Costco is ~ $67, including all fees and taxes.
I'm parking at my house Plus, when I was at the Hyatt, I got parking for free due to my status.

Originally Posted by econ
Is this new? My Avis rentals over last few years didn't have anything close to this much.
I'm going to go back and look at my rental receipts from August.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 23, 2024 at 6:54 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by econ
I had two rentals with Hertz in December 2023, and the airport fees weren't that high either. One rental was for 3 days, and the Concession Fee Recovery was 12.65 and Customer Facility Charge was 13.50. The other rental was for 8 days and the Concession fee was 19.55 and Customer facitlity charge was 27.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.