Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2005, 6:48 pm

Alamo in HNL (or anywhere)

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Yes, Budget has a Fastbreak. They are always my first choice when the rate difference isn't too much.

Avoid Alamo. It's off-airport and the last two times I was there had probably 80 people in line.
Never had a good experience with Alamo - always 80 people in line. Not worth saving the $20. I used Dollar at HNL (offsite, rode the bus) and got a double upgrade and great attitude (I used their preferred service).

Keep in mind that all of the car rentals are off site in HNL and outside - they are more like outdoor kiosks with roll down garage doors opening to the parking lot.

Have a great trip! And spring for the convertible, the other poster reminded me of a great trip all along the coast from Honolulu out to the other side, back through the middle of the island. Be sure to stop at the air force base (weekends only) and go to Bellows Beach...
Old Nov 6, 2005, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Hertz on site?

Is Hertz on site (similar to Budget), or would I need to take a shuttle bus to get there?
Also, does anybody know of any companies that would cut you a break for a 5 hour rental? I'll have a 5.5 hour layover, and prefer to get out to the island instead of hanging out in the WC/NW lounge.
I know that 1-day rentals aren't bad (around $30 all in), but if I can get a car for even less...
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:29 am
Suspended

Which rental car company?

May I ask here about the very cheapest rental company for my Oahu vacation?

I am Hertz Gold and Sixt Gold member but to be honest, have not the slightest idea what for these status' are? Any help is appreciated
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Is Hertz on site (similar to Budget), or would I need to take a shuttle bus to get there?
Also, does anybody know of any companies that would cut you a break for a 5 hour rental? I'll have a 5.5 hour layover, and prefer to get out to the island instead of hanging out in the WC/NW lounge.
I know that 1-day rentals aren't bad (around $30 all in), but if I can get a car for even less...
Yes, Hertz is in the rental car center too.

Should add, that one advantage of taking the bus (at least the Hertz bus) is that they will pull your contract during the ride and have you pretty much reach to go when the bus gets to the lot.

Since HNL is an unsecured lot (meaning no gates or exit checks) EVERYBODY has to visit the counter. Regardless of car company.

I know of no less than one day discounts.

Lihu'e 1k
Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF Silver
After trying most of the rental car companies at HNL I've pretty much settled on Enterprise solely on price. It's about a 10 min shuttle west of the airport off Nimitz Hwy. Service has always been very good & with some of the discount codes you can find on the net the 10% off has always made them the low cost provider. Only beef w/Enterprise is when they dispatch you with say 5/8 of a tank & expect you to return it the same way...they must score a fair amount of free gas.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:21 pm

Sounds like you guys have HNL nailed. Any tips for rental companies in Kaua'i?
Old Nov 19, 2005, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Da5id
on kauai, most rentals are on airport (shuttle or walk). national, thrifty and rent a wreck are not, but are close by. i don't like thrifty, as i got a car full of roaches once. otherwise no preference.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:07 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Da5id
Like JT says I think all of the majors except Alamo/National/Thrifty are at the airport. It's a very short bus ride to those that are. The distance is actually easily walkable, but it's a bit dangerous since you have to cross the airport entry road to get to the pick up lots - and there are no sidewalks or cross walks to do so.

Better to take the short bus ride.

Alamo / National / Thrifty are off airport, about a 5 minute bus ride away.

Lihu'e 1k
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:59 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Scooter rental?

I'm taking my second trip to Oahu in a couple of weeks. Last time I stayed at the JW Marriott on the west side, and that was very nice and peaceful, but I found myself going to Waikiki every day.. so this time, I'm staying in Waikiki.. given that, I'm not planning to rent a car most of the time. I know buses and walking are easy, but a $40 a day scooter rental seems like a pretty nice option (I could only find one place online, http://www.bigkahunarentals.com/ ) to tool around town.

As someone who's never driven anything two wheel, other than knowing how to ride a regular pedal bike, I wanted to find out if this is something that's recommended, and if so, any recommendations on where to rent from. Also, what are the rules for these type of scooters (not motorcycles). Are they allowed on the road? Not allowed on the sidewalk? Don't want to be busted in paradise.

Thanks for any tips.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:03 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, I'd be inclined to stick with "THE BUS" and simply walking!

Have fun in any case.

Happy holidays!

Mark
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mopeds, scooters and mc require a normal drivers license. Not permitted on sidewalks either per the Maui cops. I rarely spend over $25 for an auto on the other islands. On Oahu I often do The Bus and taxi. Parking fees can bust you.

MisterNice
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Scooters aren't allowed on the freeways--something to consider if you were to travel to the airport or any points outside of the greater Honolulu area.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 5:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pitflyer
...Also, what are the rules for these type of scooters ...
You might find this helpful:

http://moped2.org/laws/Hawaii.htm
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Mopeds, scooters and mc require a normal drivers license. Not permitted on sidewalks either per the Maui cops. I rarely spend over $25 for an auto on the other islands. On Oahu I often do The Bus and taxi. Parking fees can bust you.

MisterNice
If you park you bike on any sidewalk in Waikiki, you are guranteed a ticket within minutes. And yo get in tons of trouble if you ride your bike any small distance on the sidewalk.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:36 am

You don't really need a scooter everyday...one or maybe two days is enough. You can easily get around to Diamond Head, Ala Moana Shopping Center, Aloha Tower Marketplace and more all in one day. Just stay off the highways as they are not permitted. Parking wasn't that difficult and certainly cheaper to fill up that tank than a car. A car is needed when you want to go to the North Shore or around the island as I'm sure you already know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.