Help using C/C miles for tickets.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC

Planning a end of summer Hawaii trip with my family. Need 4 tickets from NY. What would be the best use of my Amex and Chase points. I have no airline status. My plan was to sign up both of us for BOA Hawaiian c/c to get 2 tickets and then transfer amex miles for kids.Please help me out if there is a better way.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by shaker58
Planning a end of summer Hawaii trip with my family. Need 4 tickets from NY. What would be the best use of my Amex and Chase points. I have no airline status. My plan was to sign up both of us for BOA Hawaiian c/c to get 2 tickets and then transfer amex miles for kids.Please help me out if there is a better way.
It may be too late to get award seats for the end of summer, unless you wait until the last minute and hope some seats are made available. Getting 4 awards on the same flight is going to be tough. Perhaps you want to go NEXT August? Then you'll have a better shot at getting 4 of them.

Before you start jumping through hoops, make sure that you can actually get the seats on Hawaiian Airlines, and then hope they're still available when the points post to your account.

Your best use of the points might be for hotels and pay for the airline tickets. IIRC, you can transfer Chase to Hyatt. I'm not sure of the others.

As well, you can use your Amex points to "pay" for your flights. This might be your best option.

I'm sorry to say, but for 4 people traveling to a popular destination in high season, you're doing this too late.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
You should consider contacting fellow FT member www.thepointsguy.com
and pay his fee and see what he can come up for you. Like Mary2e stated most people planning to use points to go to Hawai'i start at least a year out. Hope you can find something that works.

Last edited by JA610; Jul 1, 2012 at 4:10 pm
Old Jul 1, 2012, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Thanks, I have hyatt's booked on points already was hoping to get air on miles also. Going late August seems that summer season is winding down and prices are off peaks. Will see what I can come up with this week.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
You might be able to make Sept work because that's the least popular month of the year for Hawaii, but you're not giving yourself much time to work with.

For reference, for the two first class tickets I have booked for 7/14, I booked them back in August.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
There's still award availability for this summer to Hawaii, depending on when you're coming from.

I found 4 milesaaver award tickets last week for travel this month. These weren't there when I looked 2 months ago. Keep checking availability as things change constantly.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:00 am

depending on how many you have yo could use the AMEX ones on BA awards (AA flight) and Chase on United.
I personally would skip delta has it just is cumbersome...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by shaker58
Check out the Credit Card Programs, American Express M.R. and the MilesBuzz! Forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.