Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for advice: Kauai vs. Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by mr.brodie
Thanks for pointing out my "southwest" (Maui) typo. The evidence for dry and warm has to be the cactus.
Not really. There are cacti within a mile of Poipu Beach (Kauai). I don't quite understand why that is - I'm guessing the soil in that particular spot is very sandy.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Puka Dog and Bubba Burgers are a huge plus for Kauai! ^ I find the shave ice is better on Kauai!

I was in Maui in '10, Kona in '11 and heading to Kauai in '12. I have been to all of them before. Oahu is my least favorite followed by Kona. Kauai and Maui are my go-to islands. Kauai is low key, kick back and relax.. Maui you can relax but there is more going on and more traffic. You can't go wrong with either.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by 767400
Puka Dog and Bubba Burgers are a huge plus for Kauai! ^ I find the shave ice is better on Kauai!
FYI, there is now a Bubba's in Poipu.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

I was in Maui in '10, Kona in '11 and heading to Kauai in '12. I have been to all of them before. Oahu is my least favorite followed by Kona. Kauai and Maui are my go-to islands. Kauai is low key, kick back and relax.. Maui you can relax but there is more going on and more traffic. You can't go wrong with either.
Interesting..

I like KOA.. Kohala Coast as there's only 8 inches of rain per year.. so desert like conditions.. so that means guaranteed sunny weather for at least part of your trip.. and most likely destination out of all the islands to get some sun..
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:01 pm

OP

You mentioned using SPG points for your stay in Kauai.... I see they have 3 proprety and the Sheraton kauai seems to be cheapest ..It needs at least 12000 points for one free night. How much are you redeeming for free nights at the St Regis Princeville ?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
OP

You mentioned using SPG points for your stay in Kauai.... I see they have 3 proprety and the Sheraton kauai seems to be cheapest ..It needs at least 12000 points for one free night. How much are you redeeming for free nights at the St Regis Princeville ?
I'm actually not using SPG points, per se, but rather free resort nights as part of the Q2 promo. For every 3 stays SPG grants 1 free resort night. So traveling weekly on business staying at a different hotel each night, I amassed these free nights quickly (in addition to normal points). I should add that they expire before Christmas, which is why we're going in November.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:03 pm

That's interesting... I love almost everything about Kauai except for the shave ice. Tried two of the more popular places and both were mediocre at best.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by saacman5033
That's interesting... I love almost everything about Kauai except for the shave ice. Tried two of the more popular places and both were mediocre at best.
+1 I'll take coldstone any day over what is essentially a sno-cone.

Originally Posted by el_tigre
When I go to the islands with the whole family, my first choice is Maui. When I go for alone time with Mrs. tigre, our top choice is Kauai. I personally would choose to spend the bulk of your time at Princeville. The Sheraton Maui is a very nice hotel, but it doesn't compare to the St. Regis.

+1

For one day of golf and spa, the St. Regis is the clear choice for that day. Both have good pools and beach. I'd prefer lounging at the St. Regis pool. While snorkeling is fine there too, the snorkeling at the Sheraton's Black Rock wins. The North Shore of Kauai has the best hiking, including the mother of all Hawaiian hikes in the Kalalau Trail (at least do the 4 mile trek to the inland waterfall - to go further than the beach, you'd need a permit).
We attended a wedding in Princeville in early December. I believe it rained every day, however it didn't rain ALL day. But rather just a short afternoon thunderstorm that cools everything off, and then the sun popped back out.

If you are pool people you might be better off at the Westin Maui, the Sheraton has a better beach but the pool is nothing special. However IMO the rooms are much nicer at the Sheraton - you can check the master threads for more opinions. The Westin is often packed with children.

Finally if you want nightlife go to Maui, Kauai is pretty dead. But there will also be fewer children running around the pool at Princeville, the families tend to stay at the SVO timeshares up the road.

We're going to use our free resort nights at Princeville, it's a much better value as it normally requires 2x SPG points v. the Maui properties. And you can often find an SVO "preview" deals that offers a cheap rate for the latter.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
There is only one good shave ice place on Kauai unfortunately, and it is not convenient. Jo-Jo's clubhouse in Waimea is great, but it's a drive. The rest of the places are, in fact, sno-cones.

We spend a month every summer there, and now we stay in Poipu every year for the weather, and drive to Hanalei to see our friends up there.

I pretty much have the Hyatt cc just to earn points for the Grand Hyatt Kauai...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by mcditolla
There is only one good shave ice place on Kauai unfortunately, and it is not convenient. Jo-Jo's clubhouse in Waimea is great, but it's a drive. The rest of the places are, in fact, sno-cones.

We spend a month every summer there, and now we stay in Poipu every year for the weather, and drive to Hanalei to see our friends up there.

I pretty much have the Hyatt cc just to earn points for the Grand Hyatt Kauai...
Jo-Jo's was one of the ones I was alluding to earlier and I honestly thought it was terrible compared to shave ice places on Oahu. Maybe I just came on the wrong day, but I won't be going back.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:02 pm

[QUOTE=Boraxo;16793532]+1 I'll take coldstone any day over what is essentially a sno-cone.

Don't get me wrong, I love GOOD shave ice! I just don't know that it exists on Kauai.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:21 pm

[QUOTE=saacman5033;16794536]
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 I'll take coldstone any day over what is essentially a sno-cone.

Don't get me wrong, I love GOOD shave ice! I just don't know that it exists on Kauai.
What makes shave ice good? I mean it really is a snow cone.

BTW, I've had the concoction with shave ice, root beer syrup, vanilla ice cream and sweetened condensed milk from the Shave Ice place next to Bubba's in Hanalei. That was pretty amazing.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:49 pm

[QUOTE=ILuvParis;16794676]
Originally Posted by saacman5033

What makes shave ice good? I mean it really is a snow cone.

BTW, I've had the concoction with shave ice, root beer syrup, vanilla ice cream and sweetened condensed milk from the Shave Ice place next to Bubba's in Hanalei. That was pretty amazing.
Sure, shave ice is a glorified snow cone and is incredibly simple but I have a major soft spot for a good shave ice.

For a shave ice to be good it should be very fine and powdery and the syrups should be excellent (and ideally homemade). Those are the keys, and as simple as it sounds, not many places do it right. Some of the best on Oahu are:

Matsumoto's (Haleiwa); Island Snow (Kailua); Kokonuts (Hawaii Kai): All have great syrups and very good consistency. Waiola's (Honolulu) is a favorite for some but I don't care for their syrups.

My personal favorite:
Tat's (Kailua/Kaneohe): Great syrups and the ice is one of if not the most finely shaved. These guys get around as they are in a truck so to find them you need to be on their email list: [email protected]

Back to the original topic, I would prefer to spend more time on Kauai as I love the beaches and hikes there as well as the potential for solitude although I don't think you can go wrong with Maui either. Enjoy the trip.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Seriously, someone has asked for help in deciding between the many splendors of Maui and Kauai, and half the thread is devoted to the merits of various vendors of shave ice on those islands?

Seriously?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:33 am

I agree. Lappert's is a much better idea than shave ice. Mini peanut butter cup and fudge ice cream! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.