Car rental prices moving lower

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental prices moving lower

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So does priceline work that good? I've been receiving tips from various sources to make bids for mini vans for next spring break.. Do you really get that big of a discount?
Minivans are tricky because they are in very short supply, at least in Lihue. They literally ran out of all inventory two weeks out last July.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: Worldperks & Skymiles
I about crapped when I saw the rental rate from Alamo for my 2 day trip to OGG next week. $30 + $30 in taxes. Book it now via Alamo.

Now if US Airways stays open on May 2nd.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:13 pm

Can anyone figure out why a 4 day 5 day Jeep rental is $274 for 4 days, but if I extend to a 5th day it goes up to $382?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Glad to hear rates are dropping...

...of course, it just balances out the increase in what you pay for gas.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by oversteerdawg
Can anyone figure out why a 4 day 5 day Jeep rental is $274 for 4 days, but if I extend to a 5th day it goes up to $382?
I notice that on a 5 day rental at Alamo this last time out, on my cost schedule, the rates for a 5th, 6th and 7th day is the exact same amount. So the jump could account for the average of 5th, 6th and 7th day rentals.. obviously the best value is the 7th day.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I notice that on a 5 day rental at Alamo this last time out, on my cost schedule, the rates for a 5th, 6th and 7th day is the exact same amount. So the jump could account for the average of 5th, 6th and 7th day rentals.. obviously the best value is the 7th day.
Yes, you have a daily rate on days 1-4 and then on day 5, the weekly rate kicks in. Ditto for a monthly rate. I think it's 22 days or something like that.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Nice to see the prices moving down, was able to get a premium car from Alamo at OGG for under $150 total for 7 days. Just a few weeks back we were around $230 for a full size.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dajazz
Nice to see the prices moving down, was able to get a premium car from Alamo at OGG for under $150 total for 7 days. Just a few weeks back we were around $230 for a full size.
Excellent rate! Welcome to FT.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, CO, UA, HHonors
It's been about 15 years since I last visted the Islands, but both times I did during the 90's I booked a standard car....

When I arrived at HNL both times, I was upsold to a convertible mustang or Jeep Wrangler for only an additional $5 a day - MUCH cheaper than booking either of those cars directly.

Has anyone had similar experiences recently? I'm heading to Maui, Kauai, and Oahu next month, and was hoping this practice was still in place (but remaining skeptical that I could be that lucky)
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Shwuck
It's been about 15 years since I last visted the Islands, but both times I did during the 90's I booked a standard car....

When I arrived at HNL both times, I was upsold to a convertible mustang or Jeep Wrangler for only an additional $5 a day - MUCH cheaper than booking either of those cars directly.

Has anyone had similar experiences recently? I'm heading to Maui, Kauai, and Oahu next month, and was hoping this practice was still in place (but remaining skeptical that I could be that lucky)
Well the last time I went to HNL (2010), they tried to upsell but it was a horrible extra rate. Granted, I have no status with these rental companies.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I just booked a fullsize for $235 ai for a week in may on kauai. Not the prices your seeing on Maui but a $100 off my old reservation.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Well the last time I went to HNL (2010), they tried to upsell but it was a horrible extra rate. Granted, I have no status with these rental companies.
Definitely agree not to take the bait. I reserved the minivan which is higher coin than convertible, SUV, 4x4, etc.. and they tried to upsell me for extra money into those categories.. Complete avoidance is best, upgrades at check-in. Any upgrade even for free would have been a downgrade.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Shwuck
In July '10, I booked an intermediate with the intention of upgrading at the counter. No upgrades were available.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Since all car rental companies are basically the same, I hightly recommend Priceline for rentals. The last time we rented in Hawaii, it was $9/day (something like $11/day including taxes).
Old May 7, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
at alamo this week in lihue, was offered a free upgrade from our reserved ford focus to a minivan or midsized sub. we took the nissan rogue, which is awd. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.