Wiki Posts
Search

booking a Hawaiian honeymoon through a travel agent

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:28 am
Original Poster

booking a Hawaiian honeymoon through a travel agent

Hi,

Quick question - so we are planning our honeymoon, two weeks, spread throughout Kauai, Big Island (west and east sides) and Maui. We've been looking religiously on Orbitz and other travel sites. My question is - since there are many different hotels, flights, cars, etc involved, is it best to go through a travel agent? I don't mind spending extra time looking for deals, but we want to book soon even though our honeymoon isn't until November, so it doesn't seem like there are that many great deals.

So, does a travel agent provide just convenience, or is it also cheaper to go that route?

I'm also perfectly happy to book whatever I can now at refundable rates, and then in the future cancel them if something better comes up!

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bleedinrutgersred
two weeks, spread throughout Kauai, Big Island (west and east sides) and Maui. .
Madness!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064471/
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Are we doing too much? Initially we were just thinking Kauai + BI, and then decided to add on Maui a few days ago. Not set in stone though.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:31 pm

I think that is a bit much. I would do the Big Island and maui. That is a well balance vacation.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

we're pretty set on Kauai and the two sides of Big Island. But if 3 islands is too much for 15 nights, we would reconsider Maui.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:56 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
we're pretty set on Kauai and the two sides of Big Island. But if 3 islands is too much for 15 nights, we would reconsider Maui.
We did three islands in 17 days for our honeymoon back in 1995. At the time we felt that was fine and we enjoyed it, as an introduction to the islands (we also did Maui, Kaui and the Big Island). However, in all our return trips back, we never spent less than 7 days on an island. Otherwise, the payoff isn't worth it in terms of losing most of a day checking out of the hotel, returning the car, checking in at the airport, taking the flight, gathering the luggage, renting a new car and then checking into a new hotel. Now, we've settled on just the Big Island and own a condo there and our two-three week trips are still not enough time!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
My 2 cents

I've been to all islands mentioned. I'm not a fan of the "Big Island". It's a lava rock with daily "vog" or volcano fog emissions. While there, I coughed for 4 days. We drove to the volcano park and basically...once you've seen one lava field you've seen them all.

My favorites are Maui & Kauai. I'd suggest heading to Maui 1st. Gives you a chance to adjust to the time change & there's lots to do within walking distance. Stay in Lahaina/Kaanapali Beach. We prefer the Westin Maui. Great pools (also has an adult only pool). You can literally walk down the sidewalk with snorkeling gear to Black Rock...great fun. In addition, we love to take the snorkeling excursion right from the shore of the Westin hotel beach. I think the catamaran is "The Gemini". Great day trip with a delicious lunch and open bar.

I'd spend at least 5 - 6 days in Kauai. We've stayed in Princeville...lots of nice hotels there; however, it's a VERY rainy side of the island. We now prefer the Marriott in Lihue. The hotel is short drive from the local airport, lots of sunshine, gorgeous beach/pool and tons of places to walk/exercise.

Enjoy Hawaii! Hubby & I have 2 weeks there soon. Can't wait!

Travel safe
Old Feb 24, 2011, 2:06 pm

Maui is my favorite island also.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I now live on the East Coast, but lived on Oahu for a few years.

Yes, I think for your honeymoon, it's too much. I'd stick with the two islands you really want to see. You'll be more relaxed!

A week is nice on the Big Island, as there's so much to see. We loved exploring both Kona and Hilo (and stayed in the park at the Kilauea Military Camp, with our then-4 month old son). So much fun, and so many easy walks and hikes!

Kauai, we've done twice for long weekends. We really felt we saw a lot, did hike the canyon, and saw pretty much everything in 2 days. So longer, you can relax, snorkel, sun yourself, swim, and enjoy the beauty.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
For a honeymoon I would do Maui. Unfortunately, although I'm an avid believer of Big Island, and if your Kuaui is a must.. then dump the Big Island.. go back another time with enough time on your hands to enjoy everything thats there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.